(Topic ID: 78830)

How do you set-up your BSD: Lightning Flippers? or Regular Flippers?

By 27dnast

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Prefect
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What kind of flippers do you prefer on your BSD?”

• Lightning Flippers 65 votes
      78%
    • Standard Flippers 18 votes
      22%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    BSD  parts 002.JPG
    20140124_142424.jpg
    20140127_192958.jpg
    20140124_210903.jpg
    20140124_142318.jpg
    20140124_142302.jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Title is pretty simple... poll added.

How do you rock your BSD?

I've chosen to go Lightning...but the common argument is that the game was originally designed for standard flippers. That being said, the machine was routed with Lightning, so they obviously must still fit the mold (so to speak).

Curious to see the results.

#2 6 years ago

lightning. dracula's one weakness.

#3 6 years ago

Lightning all the way. No sense in having a challenging game with a major handicap.

#4 6 years ago

Lightning for sure... but I did close up the outlanes until this game stops kicking my a$$ so hard

#5 6 years ago

Lightning flippers. Even if it wasn't 'designed' with those flippers in mind, they have become a part of what makes BSD so unique. I like that it's a B/W game that doesn't feel quite like the others in my lineup.

#6 6 years ago

Another vote for lightning.BSD has been my favorite for awhile now.Although I am usually getting my ass kicked

#7 6 years ago

Lightning bats. Definitely makes the game more challenging.

#8 6 years ago

I have regular sized black bats and red flipper rubber on mine. Game is still VERY hard. My best score (over 3bil) is actually with the lightning flippers I used to have on it though...

I don't find they make a huge difference, you still have to make your shots either way. If you can't consistently hit the left ramp and right ramp, you won't get anywhere...short bats or not

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I have regular sized black bats and red flipper rubber on mine. Game is still VERY hard. My best score (over 3bil) is actually with the lightning flippers I used to have on it though...
    I don't find they make a huge difference, you still have to make your shots either way. If you can't consistently hit the left ramp and right ramp, you won't get anywhere...short bats or not

It's not all about hitting your shot with them..you just opened the drain by a total of 1/4 " That can not be ignored.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

It's not all about hitting your shot with them..you just opened the drain by a total of 1/4 " That can not be ignored.

True they do make it a bit harder. But if you can't make your shots with regular size, you will be punished too.

Ask anyone thats played my BSD, it's hard as hell. Anyone who is just an average player pretty much doesn't even like it, cause they can never start anything besides "pity" mist multiball most games haha

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

"pity" mist multiball

if mist wasn't as amazing as it is, this game would likely be junk

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

True they do make it a bit harder. But if you can't make your shots with regular size, you will be punished too.
    Ask anyone thats played my BSD, it's hard as hell. Anyone who is just an average player pretty much doesn't even like it, cause they can never start anything besides "pity" mist multiball most games haha

owned mine since 1995

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

if mist wasn't as amazing as it is, this game would likely be junk

Funny....mist isn't that big of a deal for me...so much more to achieve in this. My goal is to have all 3 multiballs modes going at once.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

owned mine since 1995

This is not a contest I've only had mine about 4 years haha...

They are harder to play with of course, I'm just stating there are more facts about WHY BSD is hard. It's not 100% because of shorter flippers. BSD punishes you for missed shots. You need to know what shots are death shots, know your angles. Also have to be able to consistently hit that right and left ramp shot, which is fairly difficult on mine, especially the coffin shot...

#15 6 years ago

I've fitted lightning flippers to my BSD, as that's how I have been used to playing the game in the past. Just makes the game so much more challenging. It feels like a totally different game with standard flippers.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Funny....mist isn't that big of a deal for me...so much more to achieve in this. My goal is to have all 3 multiballs modes going at once.

Totally agree with this. My goal is also tri-multiball and getting double Castle Jackpots is great too..

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

This is not a contest I've only had mine about 4 years haha...
    They are harder to play with of course, I'm just stating there are more facts about WHY BSD is hard. It's not 100% because of shorter flippers. BSD punishes you for missed shots. You need to know what shots are death shots, know your angles. Also have to be able to consistently hit that right and left ramp shot, which is fairly difficult on mine, especially the coffin shot...

Well you said,

Quoted from tomdotcom: Ask anyone thats played my BSD,

I don't have to ask, is all I meant..I totally agree with your statements..just wanted to mention that this game is known to be a drainer..and the lighting flips add to that effect. No attitude intended.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Funny....mist isn't that big of a deal for me...

Fair enough. I agree that the stacked multiballs is the way to go, but I've only done it once. I enjoy mist multiball on so many different levels. It is a very awesome piece of pinball technology, and few (even modern) games have toys that rival it.

#19 6 years ago

I've got a pair of the black repros I want to put on mine. Are those the ones that break immediately? or was it the yellow ones?

#20 6 years ago

I'm surprised at the poll results thus far...really thought it would fall closer to 50/50

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

I've got a pair of the black repros I want to put on mine. Are those the ones that break immediately? or was it the yellow ones?

I have heard that the repro black lightning flippers do tend to break up, but the set that I fitted five months ago are still intact after several hundred games.

#22 6 years ago

Bood red full-size flipper bats as designed. F those little yellow fllippers, I threw them in the trash the minute I brought the game home. I guess I should have held on to them to sell to the fools who think they should be on their games as they have become rare now but a world with less lightning flippers in it is a better world.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Totally agree with this. My goal is also tri-multiball and getting double Castle Jackpots is great too..

I think that pretty much sums up the entire game doesn't it? Don't think there are any other 'goals'... except for maybe making sure you start bats on ball 1 so you get the sweet re-occuring bats jackpot for every ball after that... multiplied by whatever bonusX you've got!

For a game with such a simple set of rules, it sure gets a ton of love. I think that's a testament to Oursler's great design. It's just so mean

#24 6 years ago

Lightning. Don't be afraid.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

I think that pretty much sums up the entire game doesn't it? Don't think there are any other 'goals'... except for maybe making sure you start bats on ball 1 so you get the sweet re-occuring bats jackpot for every ball after that... multiplied by whatever bonusX you've got!
    For a game with such a simple set of rules, it sure gets a ton of love. I think that's a testament to Oursler's great design. It's just so mean

Yep, I just mentioned it because another user said the game would be junk without mist multiball. When really mist is cool, but the real draw to the game is the triple stack and it's overall difficulty...

#26 6 years ago

Its amazing the little difference in the size of the flipper has this much impact on the game. FT makes me furious due to lightning flippers.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Its amazing the little difference in the size of the flipper has this much impact on the game. .

Agree 1000%

#28 6 years ago

1/4" is huge in pinball.

#29 6 years ago

Lightening flippers is how it should be set up, and if you play in tournaments you can bet thats how they will be.

There is a simple goal to this game, stack your three multiballs right? Well there is so much more to think about.
    When should you open the coffin?
    When should I start my ramp shots to progress bats, should I get coffin going then stack it with Bats on my first ball?
    If I start mist on my first ball will I be able to get it going again when I have my stack going, should I open coffin first then load two balls then get mist and try and hit the mist into coffin for double stack? Then work on Castle?

Lots to think about here.

#30 6 years ago

I usually just concentrate on not draining. That keeps me pretty occupied

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from MXV:

1/4" is huge in pinball.

Tell my wife 1/4" is huge. BING BONG!

#32 6 years ago

Lightning flippers otherwise is cheating to me, just finish mine, super game for the price, but have to be a goooood player for this game.20140124_142424.jpg20140127_192958.jpg20140124_210903.jpg20140124_142318.jpg

20140124_142302.jpg

#33 6 years ago

I switch back & Forth between the 2 ,, but as Oursler said in an Interview , he Didn't design BSD to have Lightning Flip's . They were installed by vendor's / Rep's to lower ball tyme to increase revenue ..

I agree w/ what Tomdotcom said 1oo% ..

My BSD will be in the GRG 5 yr's this Oct- I hope to have it Here in 10 yr's , w/ Reg- bat's installed 95% of the Tyme

I have Plenty of Lightning bats All w/ the ( W ) Logo ,, My Fav- are the Black w/ Red rubber's ..

BSD parts 002.JPG

#34 6 years ago

Regular flips here....took those yellow bastards off and put on some blood red doggies....yeehaw! I go with what the designer had intended.....PROPS must be given

#35 6 years ago

This thread got me playing some BSD last night, back to my earlier post on how there is a lot more strategy to this game then it seems. My buddy was beating me by at least 200 -300 million on ball three...what do you do?

Mist was automatically lit because I hadn't gotten it yet, I knew I had one ramp shot to start bats. I loaded up the coffin with two balls. Shot the ramp started bats, hit the mist hole and shot the mist ball into the coffin - boom instant 2x bats - gave me 100mill bats bonus plus my 2x stack... thats what I love about BSD - he lost I won

#36 6 years ago

This thread also got me playing some BSD last night. I put up my second highest score ever. 2.9 billion. With regular flippers not lightning...hangs head in shame lol...

Was an epic game though, it was more of a defensive game. Wasn't really making my shots that great, but I was defending and saving balls and had some mega long ball times....was so close to getting triple stack twice in one game!!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

This thread also got me playing some BSD last night. I put up my second highest score ever. 2.9 billion. With regular flippers not lightning...hangs head in shame lol...

Was an epic game though, it was more of a defensive game. Wasn't really making my shots that great, but I was defending and saving balls and had some mega long ball times....was so close to getting triple stack twice in one game!!

And even after all that... I usually say, one more game.

#38 6 years ago

I have triple stacked 100's of times..but never twice in a game. I probably could have done it that game, but I was so close to my personal GC score that I just tried to survive and not push my luck haha.

GC score is currently....3,152,277,830...

#39 6 years ago

Really interesting poll results. Despite some claims to go regular... the split is at 46-11 in favor of lightning! That's fairly definitely across this small sample, but also wide enough that you'd have to assume most collectors go lightning.

#40 6 years ago

Now if only somebody would make urethane lightning flipper rubbers.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from OzoneBaby:

Now if only somebody would make urethane lightning flipper rubbers.

Those sucky flipper rubbers should fit lightning bats fine? No?

There isn't a special sized normal rubber for lightning bats that I'm aware of either...

#42 6 years ago

fyi ... we are soon to have both injected lightning flippers as well as blood red flippers ... maybe within a month - the tools are done and running, just getting the colors finished, etc.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

fyi ... we are soon to have both injected lightning flippers as well as blood red flippers ... maybe within a month - the tools are done and running, just getting the colors finished, etc.

Saweeeet!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

This is awesome news! When you say "both" do you mean black and yellow lightning flippers???

Would you mind posting here when they are up?

Thanks!

#45 6 years ago

also ... how about blood red lightning bolt flippers ... these are in process as well.

#46 6 years ago

yellow, white, black, and blood red.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

also ... how about blood red lightning bolt flippers ... these are in process as well.

YES YES YES!!!!!! Seriously, YES! I would buy them right away. All I ask (and I am sure you are doing this) is make them solid so they don't break. Red lightning would be perfect.

#48 6 years ago

Three cheers for PPS! That's awesome!

#49 6 years ago

Got a pair of white lightning flippers on my BSD, and loving it. Thanks to Black_Rose.

image.jpg
    #50 6 years ago

It really makes the game challenging and fun. From Another angle;

image.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.95
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 233.10
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 49.95
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside