(Topic ID: 284837)

How do you sell a warehouse of arcade games and pins?

By pindoc1

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6760 (resized).JPG
IMG_6761 (resized).JPG
giphy.gif
723FEACB-86A2-4BA2-B07C-81352B284177.jpeg
20210130_194639 (resized).jpg
IMG_5485 (resized).JPG
IMG_5484 (resized).JPG
IMG_5483 (resized).JPG
20210123_182027 (resized).jpg
20210123_182034 (resized).jpg
wipes off.gif
IMG_5444 (resized).JPG
980fb0cfbbe2388e7f1716da95b1bd38278d6871 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_114353 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.31.04 PM (resized).png
giphy95Hc8PMCBjo9BXa95fixed95width.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#250 3 years ago

A word of warning to anyone interested in any of this stuff. I have parted out hundreds of machines in similar condition over the past 10 or 12 years taking every possible safety precaution I could and about three years I started having respiratory issues from doing it. PLEASE consider the risk to your health before you get involved with machines like this. The time & effort for the small financial return is bad enough but the health risks just are not worth it.

All of us feel like we are invincible when we are younger and typically don't think about long term health effects our actions might cause down the road. Messing with machines like the ones in these pictures just are not worth that risk. Spend a few extra dollars and start with something a little cleaner and you will likely live longer and have more time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

If you are as "foolish" as I am sometimes - at least tear the stuff apart outside with plenty of air movement, try to work from the upwind side and be sure to wear gloves & a good mask as well as eye protection. "A little dirt has never killed anyone" but if you are exposed to enough of this stuff over time bad things will likely happen.

Thankfully I don't think I have anything really bad but I know my lungs will never be the same as they would have been had I not gotten involved with some of the really nasty stuff I tried to save. Thankfully about 6 or 7 years ago I "wised up" and started really avoiding buying the really nasty stuff. I still saved as much as I could but if something was really bad I just didn't even bring it home.

1 week later
#255 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I made a deal with dc2010 and salvaged a Stern coin door from some unidentified Stern video cabinet. There are some very nice Williams coin doors over there. Most of them are the black painted/power coated style. They look almost new so if your coin door has been trashed from vandal action you might be able to upgrade from his inventory.
This is what the Cyclopes did look like.
[quoted image]
I just got back from salvaging a coin door. dc2010 did a little bit of clean up. Judging from this small area that cleaned up, it looks like it will clean up nicely. The inserts are not cupped. All of the parts are there; The play field is complete. The cleaned area shows no sign of planking. Maybe when he gets it all stripped down something will pop up and make it a complete waste. But so far, so good.
The plastics will clean up. They have some warp and will need straightened. The colors are still there.
He will need a lockdown bar, the circuit boards, one more score display, and a back glass. The cabinet is in good condition and need 2-3 minor touch ups. And one of 400 units can live again.
For the squeamish among you, get a paint mask with vapor filters, a heavy duty set of rubber gloves, a pair of disposable overalls, a shop vac, and go to work. I spent some time growing up on my grandparents farm where shoveling shit happened from time to time. This will take some work but it is quite doable.
[quoted image]

Unless you are super lucky even if it cleans up half way decent the paint is going to start lifting as soon as balls start rolling over that playfield. I bought several machines that had rat nest, mouse nest, etc on top of them and even the ones I was able to clean up turned out to be trash because of the waste attacking the bond between the paint and the wood. I had a Wizard that cleaned up to nearly new that had a couple mouse nest on the playfield. I was insanely happy because I paid pretty good money for it. After a good cleaning and waxing I got it up and running and the next thing you know chunks of paint started lifting everywhere the mice had used it for a restroom. I wanted to cry between the hours wasted & what I spent on that machine it took me weeks to get over it.

I have had similar experiences with flood machines. It seems like once that paint starts lifting off the wood you are done and all it takes is just a little moisture to separate the bond attaching the paint to the plywood.

Best of luck!

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Could you clearcoat that playfield after cleaning but before playing to prevent delamination?

Clear coating will not reattach the lifting paint because the bond between the original paint and the wood is not longer there. Kind of like painting over flaking paint on a house once paint starts lifting the only thing you can do is remove it and repaint. Not something that will work on a playfield.

As I said in my original post about this "hopefully you will be lucky" but if not be prepared for disappointment and lots of wasted time & energy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 85.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-sell-a-warehouse-of-arcade-games-and-pins?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.