4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jonnyo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tabel_1.jpg
    image-610.jpg
    image-91.jpg
    image-82.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stack15.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So I've been doing this for awhile but still haven't developed what I feel is a winning, fair and fun product. I had been doing bracketed style double elimination tournaments but that leads to 25% of participants only playing two games. And I would have the constant "complaint" of "why do I have to play __ (insert good player's name here)?"

On Super Bowl Sunday, I switched to using the Arcade Tournament Manager program with six games and 16 players. I allowed each player to play as many games as they liked as many times as they wanted. They keyed their own scores with their highest score on each game carrying foward for points.

The problem I had here is that Don and Tim played for about two hours straight (prior to the game and into the first quarter), all of half time and the entire third quarter. The other problem was people playing multiple players on the same game. I can't word that to where it is easy to understand but pretend I'm playing TSPP. I hit the start button four times and get four games in for myself. More common was two people playing four person games. This is cool for the people actually playing the game but it tied the games up too much. That's an easy fix as a simple rule (if followed) fixes that. I do have a problem that my non-pinball friends don't understand the concept of hit the start button just once. By the way, why is that so hard? It's been a problem with new people for my entire four years in the hobby.

As for me, I played TAF once, TWD twice, TSPP once, IronMan three times, BDK seven times (never got a good score) and Star Trek twice. It probably isn't good form for me to win my own event though... so third is good. Greg is the only other pinball owner. I know he played Star Trek a lot because he likes it but I'm sure that the number of total games played was VERY skewed towards two people.

An idea I have = everyone gets an index card with the six games listed, plays each game once and records their scores on that card. If they want to play a game twice, they have to scrap their entire card and start anew. To me, this should solve most of the aforementioned problems. But would it still be fun? It also kind of would inspire people to cheat (aka play one game twice and hope no one noticed).

Thoughts please? What do others do?

#2 4 years ago

Some pictures!

image.jpg image-82.jpg image-91.jpg image-610.jpg
    #6 4 years ago

These are good ideas... keep them coming!

People seem to come in and out when I have a party. So the four person groupings wouldn't work for me. I like the idea of play your six game card and get three or four do overs... or maybe a three game limit on each machine.

I just don't like how one person can play 20x games on IronMan while someone else may only get to play it once. Also, with a max limit of games played, the one person playing four players thing isn't as bad.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

If you have an iPhone or iPad, Brackelope works well.

http://brackelope.com/

Thanks... I'm all over the bracketing systems but they are not a crowd pleaser here. I like the play the games - not necessarily head to head - system because it allows for people to play on their own time and they don't even have to be here at the same time as everyone else.

#9 4 years ago

I like the double elimination but it creates a lot of work for me having to tell people who to go play. And I do feel bad for the people seeded 12-16. They almost always lose twice and then question why they even would want to play. So the brackets had to go.

#13 4 years ago

I've heard of pin golf. I'd like to play in someone elses event like that someday. I'm not quite sure if I fully understand it - I don't play golf.

I looked up swiss... granted I haven't read the entire entry yet but it reminds me of olympic soccer. It could be a winner but I'm not sure how it will work with my "not everyone shows up on time or stays for the whole thing" issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

#16 4 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for their input. For my next event, I plan on doing the same thing as the Super Bowl but with a cap of X games. I will probably institute a buddy system too - play through with another player. That should reduce the propensity for dishonesty. I don't think that was a problem though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 115.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 149.00
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 219.99
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stack15.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside