(Topic ID: 283374)

How do you remove SIP Sockets

By oldschoolbob

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6103 (resized).JPG
    MPU_Sockets 004a.jpg
    Bob_MPU2.jpg
    Bob_MPU1.jpg
    S20201216_0009 (resized).jpg
    S20201216_0001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6084 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6094 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6044 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6052 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6036 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5753 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6025 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6022 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6014 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I’m working on a Bally -17 MPU that has been worked on before. Whoever worked on it before obviously lost several solder pads removing U10. He did a decent repair job except the socket he used is not quality. Sometimes it won’t boot past the 4th flash. If I press on U10 it will boot. I need to replace the U10 socket but the problem is he soldered most of the pads on the top side.

How do you remove sockets that have been soldered on the top?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_6014 (resized).JPGIMG_6014 (resized).JPGIMG_6022 (resized).JPGIMG_6022 (resized).JPGIMG_6025 (resized).JPGIMG_6025 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago

Bob

I’ve had luck with pace desoldering tool sucking out the solder from below. Try that first, but from what I’m seeing, you will end up cutting the plastic off to expose the pin from the top, cut as flush as you can to the solder, and suck it up. You likely need to suck from both sides, one side at a time. You will also need to do a lot of repair.

If one is stubborn, apply fresh solder, then suck the solder. Flux will help a lot, too.

#3 3 years ago

Desoldering iron. Sometimes also adding new solder to the old solder helps make it flow better when sucking it out.

And yes, since you don't need to save the socket, you can cut it up from the top...just be careful not to scratch the PCB with your snipping tool.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks guys,

I don't think a desoldering tool is going to work for the ones with the missing pads. There's nothing left to heat up except the pin itself. I think my only choice it to cut up the socket and remove the pins one at a time. Not a task I'm looking forward to.

Bill, BTW I modified my YiHua desoldering tool. I replaced the pump and worked on fixing every vacuum leak. I'm now getting over 23 inches Hg and it will hold a vacuum for over 60 seconds. It really makes desoldering easy now.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_5753 (resized).JPGIMG_5753 (resized).JPG
    #5 3 years ago

Bob -

When I solder/desolder, I try to only touch the solder and the pins, never the pad. The pin will transfer the heat to the solder inside of eyelet, allowing it to be sucked out.

Now that you have some good vacuum, have you sucked the stripes off a zebra yet?

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Bill, I tried heating the pin only (in most cases it was all that was left). It didn't work for me - but I'm not that talented. I tried cutting the pins with my snipping tool but I was worried I might be causing harm to the board. Next I shielded the board with sheet plastic, got out my dremel tool and cut off the pins and plastic housing. Then I could heat each pin and pull them out. Slow and messy work but I got it done.

That board is really in bad shape. It's going to take a lot of work to get it going again. Some pads are missing on both sides. If you don't hear from me for a while you'll know where I'll be.

Bob

IMG_6036 (resized).JPGIMG_6036 (resized).JPGIMG_6044 (resized).JPGIMG_6044 (resized).JPGIMG_6052 (resized).JPGIMG_6052 (resized).JPG
    #7 3 years ago

I've gone away from the older "conventional wisdom" on using the style of socket where you can solder on the top and bottom for exactly this reason - it essentially makes the board almost unrepairable in the future. You're looking at a bunch of jumper wires now for this, probably getting it to work correctly but still leaving it in a difficult to re-repair in the future too. I'm surprised this is cost effective but I know you like to do these as a challenge.

Are you going to replace all the ripped out pads with the repair ones? I've often wanted to try those but I've not had a board yet that I've needed to get working that needed more than a couple of jumpers.

#8 3 years ago

Bob -
    This is what you should do if you have the equipment. If nothing else, it explains what is done. I'll add that when I did this, we had hand tools and a small hammer to use, not the press. That would have saved a lot of cussing.

One thing they don't mention - if the eyelet is not pressed properly, it will have cracks in the flange. We had to remove the eyelet and start all over. I would think that if you get a crack, but its electrically connected, there should not be a problem since its only a pinball machine. Aircraft control and navigation is a different matter.

Good Luck

https://www.circuitrework.com/videos/5-1-200601.mp4#t=0.5

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago

After a few days of stitching and jumpering I got the new sip sockets installed. I checked for continuity and shorts and all seemed fine. I installed the PIA and it didn’t boot. Sometimes I get one or two flashes. A couple of times I got several flashes. It did boot before when I messed with the U10 but I usually only got three flashes. I removed the PIA and re-checked all my connections. I found a couple of places that didn’t look right and cleaned them up. I even added a jumper where I thought it didn’t make good contact. Now (with the PIA removed) I’m only getting solid on LED.

I’m beginning to think the solid on LED in non-related to the U10 repair. If I had a short or bad trace at U10 (with the PIA not installed) shouldn’t I at least get a flicker then off?

I hate to give up on this thing – that would mean it won.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_6084 (resized).JPGIMG_6084 (resized).JPGIMG_6094 (resized).JPGIMG_6094 (resized).JPGS20201216_0001 (resized).jpgS20201216_0001 (resized).jpgS20201216_0009 (resized).jpgS20201216_0009 (resized).jpg
    #10 3 years ago

You shouldn't need U10 in to get the flicker/flash going, it should boot to the PIA u10 test (flash 3, then fail before flash 4) with just u11 in.

Seems like you still have some broken trace issues if you can flex the board and it works.

#11 3 years ago

I have worked on boards that start functioning if you flex or bend the board. If that is the case, something or somethings still are not making contact.

Pull a 30 year old board out of a card cage that has warped due to heat. It is amazing how much curve a board can take on and still work. You flex it too much going back in and that board is toast.

#12 3 years ago

Shine a bright light behind the board. It will help identify any solder bridges to adjacent traces.

MPU_Sockets 004a.jpgMPU_Sockets 004a.jpg
    Bob_MPU1.jpgBob_MPU1.jpg
    Bob_MPU2.jpgBob_MPU2.jpg

#13 3 years ago

My old post here describes my method.
    Really it is HEAT that is your enemy when it come to damaging boards.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/desoldering-chips-without-pc-board-damage
    The Dremel tool can help, but you have to have a steady hand.

#14 3 years ago

Skidave, slochar, I didn’t think U10 played a part in getting the first flicker so I think I must have a reset problem at this point. I believe my broken trace issues are resolved with the replacement of the U10 socket. The main problem with the original socket was it was cobbled together from pieces of several machine sockets. If you look closely at the first photo you can see the socket was 4 pieces of a machine socket that he cut the centers out and made into sip sockets. Some pin sockets are higher than others. The problem wasn’t so much flexing the board but was more to get all the U10 pins to make contact in the socket. In hindsight what I should have done was solder a new socket on top of the old socket.

Quench, I’ve used the light behind the board but I don’t see anything that looks suspicious. I now keep a halogen bulb on my bench for that purpose. I’ve also used my analog meter to swipe all the connections. Good eye on the possible bridge. I saw that too and checked it with a meter and it showed open – but I cleaned it up anyway. Yes, the trace repair is on the back of the board.

Budwin, That’s the method I used to remove the original socket. But I learned at my age not to trust my steady hands so I protected the board with 0.04 sheet plastic. Messy but it worked.

Thanks guys, I’ll head back down to the shop to find the reset problem.

Bob

#15 3 years ago

I’ve checked several times and several methods for shorts or opens on U10. Everything seems to be connected properly. I’ve gone through every step on PinWiki. All voltages check and everything that should be pulsing is pulsing. I removed every IC except U9 and U11. I installed Leon’s test ROM and followed every step on PinWiki for the test ROM. Again, everything checked.

I then logic probed all pins on U10 socket. Pins 2 – 20 were all High – no pulsing. Pins 21- 40 seemed normal (either high pulsing, low pulsing, or high and low pulsing). Except pins 23 and 39. On those pins I got nothing – as if my probe wasn’t touching anything. I understand 39 is ground but shouldn’t the probe indicate low? And I’m not sure about pin 23 (CS). I check continuity on those two pins and they both have continuity to the proper trace but I didn’t check the schematic to find where those traces connect. Remember this was done with Leon’s test ROM installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look? I’m lost at this point.

Thanks

Bob

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I understand 39 is ground

Pin 39 isn't ground. It's a pin that can be configured as an input or output. It gets programmed as an output to drive the blanking signal for the displays once the board passes the 7 LED flashes. Until then, pin 39 defaults as an input on power-up which essentially leaves it floating.

Pin 23 however comes from the output of U17 pin 6. You must get a logic level reading at pin 23, the fact you're getting nothing means you've possibly got an open circuit between U17 pin 6 and U10/U11 pin 23, or U17 could be suspect. This Chip Select signal goes to both U10 and U11. Signal failure here means the CPU can't effectively flash the LED.

#17 3 years ago

Looks like we fixed another one. I don’t know why I was thinking pin 39 was ground – Maybe I was thinking U9 where I was also using the logic probe.

I know where I screwed up with pin 23 now. Pin 23 has traces on both sides (solder side and component side). I knew I had continuity on the top side (that goes to U11) but I didn’t check continuity on the bottom (which goes to U17). I knew I was on to something when pin 23 showed nothing on the logic probe but I didn’t check the schematics.

A quick little trace repair and it booted perfect.

Thanks to everyone for all your help – especially Quench for heading me in the right direction.

IMG_6103 (resized).JPGIMG_6103 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-remove-sip-sockets?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.