Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161011_212424[1] (resized).jpg
    20161011_212402[1] (resized).jpg
    20161010_171124[1] (resized).jpg
    image-918.jpg
    Packed_Car.jpg
    Steel Wool.jpg
    Legs After-917.jpg
    LegsBefore-985.jpg
    get-attachment[1].jpg
    get-attachment[1] (2).jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #50 9 years ago

Very impressive with the Evapo Rust. They look great. I think I'll try the apple cider vinegar trick next time I do legs. I'm guessing you get a 3 foot length of 4 inch PVC, glue an end cap on one end, put the legs in and fill it up?

#51 9 years ago

No kidding? Apple cider vinegar? Well, we were so impressed with the results we made two of those PVC contraptions (we have a lot of legs we want to clean) I think I'll try a side by side comparison. I'd love to use Apple
    Cider Vinegar instead! Stay tuned for a "scientific" study...

One thing for sure, no more scrubbing with steel wool and polish. Soaking gets all of those nooks and crannies.

#52 9 years ago

The same $20 worth of evaporust will do hundreds of legs.

#53 9 years ago

Felt light headed and fevered last night. Didn't get to try the aluminum foil/water thing. Might be a blessing in disguise though as the PVC/cider trick seems to have mind-blowing results.

#54 9 years ago

You can also soak a rusty wire ramp in the apple cider with the same results. When you pull the ramp/legs out it still has spots on it and you say to yourself "crap that didn't take it off". Then you take a towel and wipe it off and you say "wow". The wire ramps can be a little more tricky because of the shape. Sometimes I use a small plastic trash can and soak one end and then turn it around and soak the other. My DE Star Wars had some pretty bad wire ramps on it and now they look new.

I have never used evaporust so I can't compare and one may be better that the other depending upon the severity of the rust. I also use the cider vinegar over and over. Not sure how many legs you can do before you would need to swap it out.

#55 9 years ago

Does it have to be PVC or is ABS okay? Lowes only sells 10 ft lengths.

#56 9 years ago

I bought mine at lowes. Didn't pay attention to what it was.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

I bought mine at lowes. Didn't pay attention to what it was.

If it's white it's PVC. If it's black it's ABS.

#58 9 years ago

Mine is PVC then.

#59 9 years ago

Damn. I can't even get a 10ft. length of PVC into the car. I'll try Home Depot, maybe they'll have shorter lengths.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Damn. I can't even get a 10ft. length of PVC into the car.

Do cars in Canadia not have a front seat and back windows?

#61 9 years ago

I don't need 10ft. I need 4ft. max.

Driving with anything sticking outside of the back windows is illegal. Out of the trunk is fine as long as it's flagged properly.

I'll try ABS. I was just worried that the black colour wouldn't work as well, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I don't need 10ft. I need 4ft. max.
    Driving with anything sticking outside of the back windows is illegal. Out of the trunk is fine as long as it's flagged properly.

Look at the stores for a seperate section with shorter lengths. I had a 10 ft and asked if they could cut it and they said no....then I went 1 aisle over and they had shorter sections.

PRE EDIT: Illegal?....jesus $&*(@$ing christ man. I wonder if Guy Lafleur worried aboot such things?

#63 9 years ago

The had shorter ABS lengths, which is why I plan to use ABS instead, but the PVC was 10' only. I asked.

There are stupid people everywhere.

Packed_Car.jpgPacked_Car.jpg
    #64 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I had a 10 ft and asked if they could cut it and they said no....

Then you take the 10' piece walk over to the tool section , grab a hand saw and cut it yourself.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Then you take the 10' piece walk over to the tool section , grab a hand saw and cut it yourself.

I was thinking the same thing, buy the 10' length, bring a saw with you, and then cut it in the parking lot. Easy enough to do.

Dave

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

yup... i do this with a lot of stuff... small cars lead to creative solutions...

#67 9 years ago

I can't wait to try this, I have a whole bunch of legs to do. I'll post my before and afters. Can you do all 4 legs at once or just 1 at a time?

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Can you do all 4 legs at once or just 1 at a time?

Just depends on the diamiter and length of the pipe. I got a 4' foot and had to do 2 at a time.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I can't wait to try this, I have a whole bunch of legs to do. I'll post my before and afters. Can you do all 4 legs at once or just 1 at a time?

I can fit 4 legs at a time in a 4" diameter x 36" tube. Though I do usually remove the levelers for the longer legs.

#70 9 years ago

Yes. All 4 will fit. image-918.jpgimage-918.jpg

#71 9 years ago

My thinking was more in line with "What do I do with the extra 6 ft. of pipe?"

Leave it in the parking lot? I'm no environmentalist, but I don't like waste like this.

How much cider do I need to fill a pipe like this?

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Leave it in the parking lot? I'm no environmentalist, but I don't like waste like this.

Offer it to other Pinsiders who want to make the same thing.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

How much cider do I need to fill a pipe like this?

I'd also say give it to other Pinsiders.

In the 3" diameter, 3 foot long version I made, one gallon of Evapo-Rust just fills it. If you've got a 4" diameter one then you'll definitely need more than a gallon of whatever you decide to use in it.

#74 9 years ago

I take them to my powder coat place,
    they sand blast it and powder coat them.

#75 9 years ago

The 10ft. length is $10. I'll have 7 extra feet. I'll offer it up to other Pinsiders, but they would have to be local as it would cost me an arm and a leg to ship even to the next city over.

Quoted from HighProtein:

I take them to my powder coat place,
    they sand blast it and powder coat them.

I was thinking of doing this. The results posted here using some basic groceries are quite good though.

#76 9 years ago

You may want to go longer than 3 feet if you plan on doing four 31" legs (with levelers attached/frozen on)

#77 9 years ago

Evapo-rust is awesome.

Safe for kids. Re-usable.

#78 9 years ago

I'm on the buy new one bandwagon but those are some amazing results.

How do you guys get legs to look shiny? Mine don't have rust right now but look kind of dull.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Evapo-rust is awesome.
    Safe for kids. Re-usable.

Yup, use it over and over again. Just pour it through coffee filters to remove the old sediment and rust particles.

11 months later
    #80 8 years ago

I tried brasso with steelwool, coke and alumium foil, but still rust, then the evapo-rust. boom, rust gone, great stuff!!!

#81 8 years ago

And don't forget now that the warmer weather is here, Evapo-Rust works faster when the temperature is above 70 degrees.

#82 8 years ago

PLEASE do not use steel wool or brillo for removing rust on chrome. The steel wire gets embedded into the chrome and will rust fairly quickly making your new shiny parts short lived.

Electrolysis, as mentioned earlier, is a great way to remove rust. I've been using this method for years in my garage for tools, motorcycle gas tanks and pretty much anything with rust. Check out a video I made with my wife doing this. We made it for her chemistry class. She was the only person to get an A for the project. I got a little "A" for helping her get the good grade.

That being said, I've started cleaning off the rust on mine. Followed by prepping for paint. Finally I paint them a custom color trying to capture the theme of the pin and then clear coat. Some people may think its not durable but I haven't had any problems. I enjoy having unique legs on my pins. The "wow" factor from my guests is pretty awesome too.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

I'm on the buy new one bandwagon but those are some amazing results.
    How do you guys get legs to look shiny? Mine don't have rust right now but look kind of dull.

Evapo-rust.
    Mother's mag polish.
    Wax.

IMO

#84 8 years ago

Tremclad is a pretty magical thing, and it comes in boatloads of colors, textures, finishes. A can of that stuff should do 4 legs no problem.

#85 8 years ago

The "cheap ass" solution is Coca-Cola. It works in a pinch...
    The "right" solution is Evapo-rust purchased at AutoZone. No shipping, and $3 cheaper there than anywhere else I could find.

1 year later
    #87 7 years ago

We've seen the results with Evaporust, looks really good. Science is required, so I built a bucket with 3' of 4" PVC pipe, filled it with 7 liters of coke, and stuck a couple really rusty legs in there for 24 hours. I also scrubbed with crumpled up tin foil after removing from the soak.

Before: Very rusty. Leg levelers were not going to come off without dynamite.

BeforeBefore

After: Not too shabby. Got a lot of rust off. Didn't really do much inside at the bottom where the levellers were, and it's an awkward spot so I couldn't really scrub either, but no one ever sees there.

20161011_212402[1] (resized).jpg20161011_212402[1] (resized).jpg

Side by side comparison with a leg still on the machine (front of machine is resting on stool).

20161011_212424[1] (resized).jpg20161011_212424[1] (resized).jpg

End result is that the bulk of the rust is gone, but the chrome was quite pitted and damaged. I'll probably now experiment with tremclad, spray paint them with something interesting.

1 week later
    #88 7 years ago

Science complete. Evapo-rust for so much win.

I put the two rear legs in evaporust overnight. The rust just melted right off, as described before, all I had to do was rinse and wipe. Where no chrome was visible through the rust before, it is all chrome now. I'm not even sure how this is possible. I've dipped the coke-cleaned ones back in with the evaporust now.

Here's a pic of the back legs half way through. The rustiest bits look practically like new!

#89 7 years ago

Eureka!

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-remove-rust-from-legs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.