(Topic ID: 260936)

How do you rate Dwight’s code of Munsters, SW, GB and GoT?

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kermit24
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

What is the consensus is with all the new updates?

I get the feeling people really love the codes tho a long time coming for GB.

Also how would you compare to other recent Stern codes like BM66, Iron Maiden, GOTG and DP.

If anyone would care to rate the codes even or put in a category of great/good/mediocre for these pins.

#2 4 years ago

The GoT LE update was A+...up there with anything else Stern has done IMO. The upper PF became much more compelling with the upgrade.

I sometimes bypass this game in my lineup -- maybe because it's so butt ugly. But once I start playing, I keep going.

With the different objectives for the different houses, this is a great choice for a home machine because each house plays completely differently.

The code is deep and the rules make sense; the layout (shots) are great; it is FAST (Ritchie)...and it is fun and challenging. It is a little "math-y" though...gotta keep your eye on the bonus multipliers.

#3 4 years ago

Was watching the stream of GB code and it looks like was very strong update, I’ve not played it on the new code.

#4 4 years ago

Funny,

I was just thinking on this as I own a Munsters and all the s$&t Dwight is taking in the threads.

I own GOT and just brought SW back into the collection
    GOT is nailed to the floor in my house. I thought the code was great before the last drop, now it ranks up there in my mind with TWD after the drop.

I had an SW pro traded it away because too good of an offer. Now back into the fold premium comic. The code has always been great. The premium is the way to go on this title.

Both GOT and SW are very deep, complicated , immersive codes. They are both well integrated with the subject titles. Dwight hit home runs in both cases. I bought Munsters prem in the present down market. Same as all his games , some people are just howling that he doesn’t care, his reputation is in danger, Stern will blow up , etc. while I do not expect Munsters to be at SW/ GOT depth, I expect it will be a super game in a year or so as Dwight has accompanied several times over.

#5 4 years ago

I enjoy GB and GOT, people love SW code but I do not have any time on it.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Funny,
    I was just thinking on this as I own a Munsters and all the s$&t Dwight is taking in the threads.
    I own GOT and just brought SW back into the collection
    GOT is nailed to the floor in my house. I thought the code was great before the last drop, now it ranks up there in my mind with TWD after the drop.
    I had an SW pro traded it away because too good of an offer. Now back into the fold premium comic. The code has always been great. The premium is the way to go on this title.
    Both GOT and SW are very deep, complicated , immersive codes. They are both well integrated with the subject titles. Dwight hit home runs in both cases. I bought Munsters prem in the present down market. Same as all his games , some people are just howling that he doesn’t care, his reputation is in danger, Stern will blow up , etc. while I do not expect Munsters to be at SW/ GOT depth, I expect it will be a super game in a year or so as Dwight has accompanied several times over.

Thanks. You have and have had quite a collection of pins. I’m always reluctant to let my pins go which in turn prevents me from owning that many different pins.

#7 4 years ago

I would say that Ghostbusters now has masterpiece level code. Prior the update the games code had a good amount going on but there were missing pieces, it was disorganized, and of of course it was missing the super wizard mode "Are You a God". Dwight and team went over the top with the final update. They pretty much touched every piece of existing code and then added a lot more. Yes it took 3 years but it was well worth it. Stern was regularly hammered on Facebook and on here for years about the Ghostbusters update so it was great to see them deliver and then some.

Dwight and team even added a ton of additional effects for the topper which I don't think a lot of people expected. Stern toppers don't seem to have a lot of code applied to them but that's now not the case for the Ghostbusters topper. It's cool to see just how much the GB topper now interacts with game modes.

#8 4 years ago

GB- A+

GOT- A+

SW- Not sure

Munsters- B-

#9 4 years ago

Munsters is ok(not a lot of time on it). Star Wars(i have comic premium) is fantastic deep code. Id say compared to my Deadpool its a bit deeper, but I love both.

#10 4 years ago

SW and GB are A+

SW can use polish on a couple of very minor annoying items but really doesn’t hurt the game.

#11 4 years ago

SW and GB are pretty good Munsters not that big of a fan. LOVE GOT pro code don't like the new premium code sold mine because of it get good at staging the mini PF game becomes to easy.

#12 4 years ago

SW and GOT are such a great system, innovative, fun, revolutionary etc.

Didn't see anything so amazing it would fix GB last time I played it. Some games like That, x-men being another one, so bad early I'll never play them again.

Played Munsters a couple times and walked away so can't fairly judge it

#13 4 years ago

Dwight is the man. GoT and SW are probably two of my all time favorite rulesets. GoT is an A+ in my book, with the latest update putting it way over the top of anything else I have played. It just hits all the right notes for me, especially combined with that sweet playfield (I'm a pro guy, but have a great appreciation for the prem/LE as well). SW is a solid A, and with a few tweaks could shoot up to equal GoT. I will acknowledge that both of these games (SW especially) are polarizing though. Those who love them REALLY love them, but there are many who just do not click with them for various reasons.

I never liked GB much, so I honestly haven't given it enough of a chance or taken the time to learn the rules. I do not think I have played it since the update either. I do need to set aside my initial reaction to it and give it a real shot one of these days. From the little bit I have read, it sounds like it's come a long way. I'm just not sure how much I can stomach "who brought the dog?". Ugg...worst part of the movie too.

Munsters I have rarely gotten to play, so I only know bits and pieces. I do know Dwight was tasked with making a more simple, easy to understand game, and from that standpoint I think he nailed it. It has some really interesting things going on, and seems to have some unique scoring strategies. I really love how this game shoots, so I hope he is able to continue to evolve the code and can get enough in there to keep people engaged long term.

As for comparing to BM66, Iron Maiden, GOTG and DP, it's tough because they are all very different games. For me personally, GoT and SW are better than all of those listed, even though I am a big fan of DP, BM66, enjoy what I know of IM, and enjoy GOTG to an extent. Munsters is definitely the shallowest of all of them. GOTG is solid, but about as vanilla as possible, both in playfield and code. It's decent, but we've seen it all before many, many times. DP is amazing all around, and the code is nearly as enjoyable for me as GoT and SW, though very differently structured and not as deep. Super fun though. BM66 is a coding force of nature, and while laid out quite differently than GoT and SW, it does share the similarity of having many different paths and strategies to take. I really enjoy it, but for me personally I find GoT and SW to be slightly better. Maiden I do not know very well, but it is also deep and unique, and is less polarizing overall than Dwight's games.

#14 4 years ago

At the beginning Dwight was struggling to get the code right in time. But when Stern finally hired new programmers. ALL programmers not only Dwight. Got more time to work on each individual project. Since then every project got some additional work with nicely balanced code.

I own GB Pro which became great.
    Also played GOT on location. Which I haven't spend much time on with old code. But since new code got released. It felt completely different... I just say better
    Munsters at the moment is... Bruh... But future will tell... Hopefully

SW i don´t like that game at all. But thats just my personal taste.

#15 4 years ago

Got last update did some cool things but the code was rock solid pretty quick. All the major concepts were there in a few months I think.

#16 4 years ago

GB update changed the game big time. If you haven’t played the new code, I strongly recommend doing so. It obviously doesn’t change those darn drop targets, but those are there to punish anyway. The only safe way to drop them is a backhand shot.

#17 4 years ago

I just bought a GB Premium because of the code update. I love the game now, looking for an LE still if one pops up.

#18 4 years ago

Munsters - its an ok game for novices (easy to explain) and the super jackpot rule is mildly interesting. But it boring as sin for a home collector and the theme seems tailor made for home collectors because how many operators were clamoring for that theme. I put $10 in a pro and $10 in a premium and I've gotten my fill for life. Probably the best shooting game on the list but the least coded

Star Wars - I dislike the shot multiplier rule, but other than that it's ok. I think the character select and reward is a bit too much for novices (Not JJP POTC bad but close in terms of confusing). It seems kinda silly how difficult it is to see the the Death Star explode. I bet a lot of people with premiums have never seen that toy work without taking the glass off. I don't like how the game actually plays, but that's more on Steve Ritchie in my opinion.

Game of Thrones - I think the house select is a better implementation than what Star Wars was doing. I generally think it's a great game and like the combo multiplier rules. Only game on the list I'd be interested in owning

Ghostbusters - Dwight did what he could with a very unfun layout. I no longer blame the software for any issues I have with this game.

Batman 66 is still by far the best coded game by Stern. Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden, Deadpool also up there

#19 4 years ago

I had GBLE and GOT prem. I sold before the codes were released. I have Munsters LE. Going to hold this for a while. So do not expect a Munster finished code to come out for a while.

By the way, let's give Stern some Kudos for getting out a lot codes out over the last 2 years. Every month a new game code drops.

#20 4 years ago

I have owned my GB for about 2.5 years. The code is good and fun. I would not say it is great. The new code update nerfed the game big time so that it is easier to get through the game and see all the great things. Not saying that is a bad thing. So to clarify...the rule set is not the best but the pinball "moments" that are coded in the game are some of the best out of any modern day machine. Because of the theme alone and those "moments" GB is a keeper for me.

#21 4 years ago

The heat that Dwight gets on Pinside is complete bullshit. He makes intense games with great rules and awesome light shows.

For me, Munsters is a bit of an outlier, but I don't blame Dwight for that. I blame the direction given to Dwight by George Gomez. GG told Dwight to make a "simple game" because of the negative chatter regarding the complexity of Star Wars. Misguided direction for sure. You need to play to the talents of your staff. Don't try to make them someone they are not.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-rate-dwights-codes-of-sw-gb-and-got and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.