Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Dremel-4000-Multi---Tool-65-Piece-(4000-465) (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

The dremel seems to be a tool that a lot of experienced pinsiders use for a range of different things. Eg "use a dremel to remove the top of a post that is stuck with loctite and can't be moved."

I don't have a dremel and am thinking of getting one. Can we create a list here of all the different pinball uses a dremel can be put to and how?

Thanks, Greg

Dremel-4000-Multi---Tool-65-Piece-(4000-465) (resized).jpgDremel-4000-Multi---Tool-65-Piece-(4000-465) (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Works like a champ if you break a screw . Cut it off and drill it out.

I’ve also polished parts on the playfield with it.

That’s about it recently.

#3 5 years ago

number 1 reason is cutting screws off.
    I cut/ground a new playfield clear plastic out on TWD with it... Still have no idea what the hell I did with the actual plastic. (like to get a band saw some day)
    grinding playfield protectors down in certain areas to get them to fit properly
    cutting longer screws down to make them shorter (if I don't have the appropriate size)
    When I installed cabinet braces in SAM stern machines, I use it to cut the one in the back to fit around the round cord plug thing.
    never used it to polish, might not be a bad idea though.
    edit: there was one other thing. I had to use it to cut out the nut holding in the magnet core on a stern. I tried everything to break that damn thing free.... finally just cut it out, replaced the core and put a new nut in.

I'm installing a structured media center at work and I used to cut out the interior metal stud in a section with a 90 degree attachment.
    used the circle cutter to install speakers in a suspended ceiling grid
    used the circle cutter to cut into duct work to install AC ducts.
    used the sanding bits a lot for miscellaneous stuff.
    tried using it as a router and meh...
    probably be a good sharpener.

#4 5 years ago

I've used a cutting wheel to cut down some IC tubes before. I also just used it recently to sand down a plastics protector that was too large and causing ball hang-ups. That was probably the first time I've used it in months, though.

I don't really use it often for pin stuff, but it's handy when I do.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't really use it often for pin stuff, but it's handy when I do.

I've got a nice one with variable speed and I almost never use it. Maybe this thread will give me some ideas?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my replacement display boards for Model H & Model S Skee Ball

#6 5 years ago

Brass wire polishing wheels are great!

#7 5 years ago

I don't have a pinball machine yet,but that's gonna change next Friday! I use a dremel to trim my dogs nails. If you do use one on your dogs nails,never use a dremel stone,it'll get to hot.

#8 5 years ago

I've used it to clean out light sockets, to get a socket to clean bare metal for soldering resistors, to grind off rust spots on rails and clean and polish. Works great!

#9 5 years ago

My Dremel is one of my favorite tools in my arsenal. I use it for all sorts of pinball and non-pinball related stuff. I used it just the other day to grind down the edges of an LED so that it would fit where I wanted it to go.

#10 5 years ago

It's use in the pinball hobby is limitless, making a list would take a lifetime. I've used mine to clean sockets, cut off posts, enlarge holes, buff metal, enlarge openings in posts, etc..

#11 5 years ago

I’ve used it to cut metal for a unique Sega backbox latch lock for those bubble headboxes. Used it to cut plexi for a homemade Axl protector on GNR.
    I use mine for stuff like that, the bits are expensive and do not last long.

#12 5 years ago

Cutting through a flipper shaft when a lever/pawl cannot be removed because a set screw head has sheared off and the remaining screw body cannot be extracted or drilled out.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

I've got a nice one with variable speed and I almost never use it. Maybe this thread will give me some ideas?
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my replacement display boards for Model H & Model S Skee Ball

You can use it to remove blown traces on circuit boards.

It's essential for cutting traces when making modifications.

#14 5 years ago

I use my dremel nearly every weekend.

My 2 favorite bits are the 3/16 carbide shaft and the cutoff wheel.

I just used it to modify a plastic on WOZ for a ball hang issue.

The uses are limitless.

#15 5 years ago

Just used mine an hour ago: had to fix a switch on T2 where the factory rivet didn't quite make it thru the switch stack, and a previous owner held the stack together with zip ties. Used a cutoff wheel to shorten a 6-32 screw to the proper length to replace the rivet. Also use their mini wire brushes to de-rust and polish metal quite often. It's a very useful tool, don't think twice about buying one.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I’ve used it to cut metal for a unique Sega backbox latch lock for those bubble headboxes. Used it to cut plexi for a homemade Axl protector on GNR.
    I use mine for stuff like that, the bits are expensive and do not last long.

EBay and Amazon is filled with tons of bits that don't cost much for whole sets.

#17 5 years ago

Works great when cutting off mushroomed ball shooter rods.

#18 5 years ago

If you have ever tried to cut something off either out of metal or wood or whatever and you don't have a vice or a table or something to secure the piece a Dremel is an amazing thing to use.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

EBay and Amazon is filled with tons of bits that don't cost much for whole sets.

Ya know, I've had great luck with the off brand harbor freight stuff as far as bits go. Much cheaper, and last about the same amount as the name brand ones.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Ya know, I've had great luck with the off brand harbor freight stuff as far as bits go. Much cheaper, and last about the same amount as the name brand ones.

Absolutely!

#21 5 years ago

In addition to a dremel, I use a flex shaft.....Same bits, burrs, drills, wire brushes, cutting tools, and polishing.
    I enjoy a flex shaft with its narrow profile, long reach, and the precision variable foot petal is what helps the most.
    Around $100 for a setup today.....much less than the $300 plus years ago.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 5 years ago

Use 433 tip to polish switch contacts (alcohol swab, polish and swab again method many pinsiders including Nic advocate for). Also great for cleaning inside of light sockets.
    Disc steel brushes for cleaning male jones plugs - works like magic. These are also good for taking rust and corrosion off of any other parts too. Dremels have tons more uses - best tool I have for doing EM restore. Variable speed is recommended as some tasks best with high and others lower speed.

#23 5 years ago

I could not do playfield swaps without one. I have a set of carbide tipped rotary bits I use to pre drill holes of any shape or size. This is especially important with cpr playfields as a drill can literally cause the clear to crack like a potato chip

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

In addition to a dremel, I use a flex shaft.....Same bits, burrs, drills, wire brushes, cutting tools, and polishing.
    I enjoy a flex shaft with its narrow profile, long reach, and the precision variable foot petal is what helps the most.
    Around $100 for a setup today.....much less than the $300 plus years ago.

They have cheaper ones as well, and they are pretty nice. My dad uses his all the time to help cut rails for his garden railroad.

#25 5 years ago

When removing star nails from The side rails cutting a slot into the head and then using flat screwdriver to unscrew them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-put-your-dremel-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.