(Topic ID: 90892)

How do YOU properly "Nastify", or modify your your pin-decks to be more...

By Caucasian2Step

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DK
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevevt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 9 years ago

Up until this past weekend, I've kept my Attack from Mars set relatively default. It's gotten too easy, and I've been meaning to make some adjustments to make ruling the universe a once-in-a-while thing again. Here's what I did:

* Replaced flipper rubber with Superbands (not necessarily harder, but it's taking a while to adjust my aim)
* Opened outlanes all the way
* Turned off all extra balls
* Made it harder to open the ship (no neighborhood shots)
* Made it harder to start the first multiball (6 shots instead of 4)

I definitely succeeded in my goal, because I have yet to rule the universe on these settings. On the plus side, now I can play a game or two when taking a break from work.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Another tip I heard from Dan Gutchess at the Pre-IFPA tourneys here in Denver. His games were faster than I ever remembered and I asked him what he did. He told me that he just Novus 2'd the playfields.
No wax.
He didn't recommend doing this with games that weren't diamond \ clear coated, but DAY-UMMM... The 1up tables (both at the LoDo and Colfax locations) were blazing!

Thanks for the tip/reminder. I haven't Novus 2'd my (nicely clearcoated) AFM playfield in a while. I just did it, and it's already making a huge difference.

Still haven't ruled the universe since turning off EBs and opening the outlanes, but I've gotten pretty close and I think I've seen some improvement in my playing. This speed increase is probably going to be a bit of a setback toward the RTU.

1 week later
#48 9 years ago

[Not sure the best place to put this, so here it is.]

Since I opened the outlanes, toughened the software (no EBs, hard MB start, etc.), Novus'd the PF, and added Superbands, I've been playing the snot out of my Attack from Mars.

3 or 4 times before today, I got 5 out of 6 RTU goals done.

Well, today, I had everything done except Attack Mars at the end of ball 1. I started ball 2 with the shield down and at the start of the last country before Mars. I had Martian Attack lit, 1 lock complete, and only 2/12 of my TA progress. So I went straight for Martian Attack to try to get a quick 2-ball and ball save to defend the last country. I got 3 out of 4 jumping martians and ran out of time, but didn't drain. Because the ball was cradled on the left flipper, I worked on the right ramp and orbit. I had 2 of each and never got control back for a lock shot and drained. On to ball 3. Even worse than ball 2. I didn't even save the last country. Fun?

Keep in mind that before I nastified the game, I've RTU'd twice in the same game, and maybe even three times. Not that impressive, because of the extra balls it gives out by default (Video Mode, 10 lower lane completions, 50 lower lane completions, 2 countries, Strobe Multiball, even on Stroke of Luck occasionally).

I know that I'll be able to do it at some point with my game set up the way it currently is. Anybody want to tell me all about how they RTU'd on 1 ball on a tough-to-brutal AFM and give me some encouragement? This thing is killing me!

1 month later
#52 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Thanks for the tip/reminder. I haven't Novus 2'd my (nicely clearcoated) AFM playfield in a while. I just did it, and it's already making a huge difference.
Still haven't ruled the universe since turning off EBs and opening the outlanes, but I've gotten pretty close and I think I've seen some improvement in my playing. This speed increase is probably going to be a bit of a setback toward the RTU.

For anyone keeping track, I finally RTU'd on my AFM today for the first time since I set it up tough. Funnily enough, I did it on ball 2 -- so I actually had a decent chance at RTUing again on ball 3 (but came up short). I generally suck at getting dirty pool, but I got one on this game that helped me take down the 4th ship on ball 1. I ended up getting 1/3 of the way through the 5th ship on ball one, which really helps. As we all know by now, the only real risky shot in this game is opening the saucer, because everything else either returns to a flipper or can be done during a multiball. I guess the orbits can be tough, but my scoop feeds the left flipper as it should anyhow. I didn't pay too much attention, but I think the score was in the 30 billion range. For just 3 balls, and the way the game is playing, I'm happy with this result. Even if it took me a month to get there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 79.95
Pinball Life

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevevt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-properly-nastify-or-modify-your-your-pin-decks-to-be-more?tu=stevevt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.