By MiamiRedSkin

8 months ago

Stats

• 90 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 month ago by cfh
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lnm2 (resized).jpg
lnm (resized).jpg
LNM (resized).jpg
SMDM and Bigfoot (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
IMG_0098 (resized).JPG
ballyBigFoot (resized).jpg
DSC_0218 (resized).JPG
DSC_0216 (resized).JPG

There are 90 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 months ago

Hey All -

I recently picked up a super rare Bally prototype Bigfoot translite off of a former Bally employee form the late 70's to early 80's. It is in perfect condition (probably because it was never installed on a machine, heh), but I just don't have the room or space to display it like it should. Shipping may be an issue because of the dimensions, but I'm having trouble coming up with a price. I am only aware of one other person, Dayhuff, who has a translite, so there's not much to go off of. Link to my ad below for more information.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/45364

#2 8 months ago

I am interested when you come up with a price. It looks cool.

#3 8 months ago

eBay, probably. Stuff that rare it's just finding someone who wants it and will pay you for it. For prices you need a market

#4 8 months ago

I mean, seriously.. how cool is this thing? It's HUGE

DSC_0216 (resized).JPG

DSC_0218 (resized).JPG

#5 8 months ago

There is no guide to go by as you stated. Just throw a price on it and let the buyers decide if it's worth it to them. My understanding is that there was probably as many as 20 of them made originally with maybe less then half of them still around today? Mine hangs proudly on the wall next to my Hercules machine, which is also the holding spot for when I find the real Bigfoot game..., someday.

John

#6 8 months ago

What most people here in America tend to forget is we are a "free market society". Sellers don't set the price of anything getting sold - a price put on something by a seller is just a number used as a starting point. The true price of anything is basically what the market (or a buyer) will pay.

My suggestion would be to do something like best offer over $ --- ---- before a set date and see what happens. But I would also only do local pick up because I wouldn't want to try to ship something that big.

#7 8 months ago

that looks like a backglass to me. I want it and going to try and put it in that triple strike I have that doesn't have a backglass

#8 8 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that looks like a backglass to me. I want it and going to try and put it in that triple strike I have that doesn't have a backglass

Better double check those dimensions if your serious Neo.

John

#9 8 months ago

When I'm not sure what to price something, I usually try to think what I might pay for it if I saw it for sale and go from there. Then I think about how desirable (or not) it might be.

Just because something is rare doesn't make it desirable, however, this backglass is an interesting piece even though it probaby won't ever be able to find its way into a game.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Better double check those dimensions if your serious Neo.
John

I probably can put 2 games side by side. 1 player EM, head is extra narrow besides.

#11 8 months ago

Could someone take a Hercules and retheme it back to Bigfoot? Supposedly Herc was based on the Bigfeet that Bally passed on... Atari worked out some of the kinks.

I would imagine if any of the two (?!) or whatever bigfeet survived... they've got to be in terrible, terrible shape by now. You can't just mothball something that large and wooden and useless for free and/or without damage for this long.

#12 8 months ago

Got me on how to price it but it sure is a cool glass!

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Could someone take a Hercules and retheme it back to Bigfoot?

The lower cabinet MIGHT work but still doubtful. The head cabinet would not work at all. Bigfoot was based on Bow and Arrow. It could be done if you had the wood working talent and then some to pull it off.....not that I've ever thought about it.

John

#14 8 months ago

I'd pay $50. It's an interesting conversation piece.

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'd pay $50. It's an interesting conversation piece.

I'd go 100, but I am pretty sure there are others that would go higher. It is a pity there is not a way to hold a public pinside auction. Ebay might be the best venue, but would require advertising amid pinball circles first.

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how would you even ship that safely?

Maybe a crate like Ron Krutzman does for playfields.

#18 8 months ago

Anyone have an idea of what the shipping cost might be (ballpark)? Just curious OP, are you going to TPF?

#19 8 months ago

that doesn't work for backglasses. Too much weight. Those wooden crates get slammed around a lot because they are so heavy. Lighter is better. Doesn't get smashed to the ground as badly. That would not work well for glass.

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I recently picked up a super rare Bally prototype Bigfoot translite off of a former Bally employee form the late 70's to early 80's.

Out of curiosity, when you say you "picked up", do you mean you got it for free or did you pay for it? If you paid for it then you already have a feel for what a pinball minded guy might pay for such a piece as what you paid could be considered a reasonable price.

Now, if you got it for free or got it for what you think it is a great price, then you're really asking what is the most someone might pay for this. If that's your question then I think putting it on Ebay with a fairly high reserve but a low starting bid will give you a pretty good idea of what someone might pay for it.

As others have said, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and to maximize your profit you have to find the right guy at the right time. Pricing odd-ball items or rare items can be difficult, that's for sure.

Dave

#21 8 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Anyone have an idea of what the shipping cost might be (ballpark)? Just curious OP, are you going to TPF?

$200 ish.

Best way to ship is LOTS of bubble wrap inside a cardboard box and then more bubble wrap around that inside an even bigger cardboard box.

Insure for 1k actual cost just to be safe.

I would guess it is worth 500 minimum and probably 1k to the right buyer.

#22 8 months ago

Awesome piece of pinball history!
Would love to have that hanging in my game room.

#23 8 months ago

Generally you price them with optimism and patience.

#24 8 months ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that doesn't work for backglasses. Too much weight. Those wooden crates get slammed around a lot because they are so heavy. Lighter is better. Doesn't get smashed to the ground as badly. That would not work well for glass.

It's not glass though.

Quoted from goingincirclez:
Could someone take a Hercules and retheme it back to Bigfoot?

Hercules is an SS game, Bigfoot was an EM. Maybe you could use the same mechs? Actually, if you had a donor bow and arrow then the only real thing you're missing is a giant playfield to wire it to...

#25 8 months ago

ballyBigFoot (resized).jpg

#26 8 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It's not glass though.

Hercules is an SS game, Bigfoot was an EM. Maybe you could use the same mechs? Actually, if you had a donor bow and arrow then the only real thing you're missing is a giant playfield to wire it to...

The giant playfield and the oversized parts.

#27 8 months ago

If it is never going to make it into a game and will just be wall art, maybe the bigfoot collector community (I assume there is one, lol) would set a higher price than the pinball community? Update: Maybe reach out to the folks running the Ohio Bigfoot Conference (May 2017)? http://ohiobigfootconference.org/ . I'd rather see it stay with a pinhead though.

#28 8 months ago

I think this would sell for $800 plus,
I know TheBlackKnight would like it, just not sure if he would cough up that kind of $$

#29 8 months ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I think this would sell for $800 plus,
I know @xTheBlackKnightx would like it, just not sure if he would cough up that kind of $$

@xTheBlackKnightx doesn't seem like the public bidding type. He's probably sent a PM if he's interested.

#30 8 months ago

Thank you all for the advise. My goal is to not facilitate or create an "offline bidding process" as I think that is tacky and unfair. I have received a ton of messages, so I neee to work on picking a price and just go with it. I'm bummed about selling it, but I seriously don't have any wall space to display this thing. I much rather have it in a museum or a nice collection to be put on display proudly. Thanks guys and gals!

#31 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

When I'm not sure what to price something, I usually try to think what I might pay for it if I saw it for sale and go from there. Then I think about how desirable (or not) it might be.

Or for how much I could let smthg go... if I get offered less, I'd rather keep it for myself...

#32 8 months ago

I would be interested in throwing my hat in the mix if/when you decide to sell. It would look nice hanging up next to my other prototype/oddball pinball stuff.

#33 8 months ago

Such a bizarre thing I had no idea Bally made a Hercules-style EM prototype.

I'm guessing it became firewood. Anybody ever seen one, played it, or know the story behind it? Was anybody involved in it eventually involved in Hercules?

Can you imagine the racket that thing made when it was starting up?

#34 8 months ago

sounds like ebay is genuinely the way to sell this one.

Alternatively I think Pinside has the ability to take offers on a market listing?

You could just set it up here and let it run for X amount of time.

#35 8 months ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Thank you all for the advise. My goal is to not facilitate or create an "offline bidding process" as I think that is tacky and unfair. I have received a ton of messages, so I neee to work on picking a price and just go with it. I'm bummed about selling it, but I seriously don't have any wall space to display this thing. I much rather have it in a museum or a nice collection to be put on display proudly. Thanks guys and gals!

Donate it to one of the pinball museums and you can possibly Write it off

#36 8 months ago

My guess $400 plus shipping realistic for rare backglass.
Cosmo said $800, I think that's a little high.
But, eBay listing 7 day auction would find your answer.
Good luck, I say keep it.

#37 8 months ago

Plenty of info on this game at ipdb, from gameroom mag. Apparently the protypes fell apart because they didn't engineer it correctly to withstand the GIANT mechs. I would bet both protos are indeed firewood as they fell apart on test.

The concept was contracted by an independent company who indeed sold it to Atari who turned it in to Hercules. Interesting reading on it at IPDB.org

#38 8 months ago
Quoted from jeffc:

If it is never going to make it into a game and will just be wall art, maybe the bigfoot collector community (I assume there is one, lol) would set a higher price than the pinball community? Update: Maybe reach out to the folks running the Ohio Bigfoot Conference (May 2017)? http://ohiobigfootconference.org/ . I'd rather see it stay with a pinhead though.

I am a bigfoot/sasquatch collector (as well as a pinball lover) and would love this for my collection. I have Bigfoot art, action figures, statues, books, videos, etc. I even have a cast taken from the original footprint casting taken of the famous Patty. She's the bigfoot from the famous Bigfoot film taken and the gal in my avatar picture.

I would love to be give the first shot at this when a price is set!

#39 8 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It's not glass though.

Correct, screened on more durable plexiglass.

#40 8 months ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

That's Midway's Larry Burke playing Bigfoot.

#41 8 months ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I am a bigfoot/sasquatch collector (as well as a pinball lover) and would love this for my collection. I have Bigfoot art, action figures, statues, books, videos, etc. I even have a cast taken from the original footprint casting taken of the famous Patty. She's the bigfoot from the famous Bigfoot film taken and the gal in my avatar picture.
I would love to be give the first shot at this when a price is set!

Sounds like this is your man for the glass. Good luck in whatever you both decide to do and many are right , it makes for a great wall art/conversation piece.

John

IMG_0098 (resized).JPG

#42 8 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Sounds like this is your man for the glass. Good luck in whatever you both decide to do and many are right , it makes for a great wall art/conversation piece.
John

Awesome, Rush drivers unite!

Sorry, back on topic.

#43 8 months ago

I have reviewed this posting, and am aware of the size of the backglass and requirements of shipping. I provided an offer as a backglass collector.

#44 8 months ago

I wish somebody had access to the film footage of Roger Daltrey playing Bigfoot.

Then we could see what kind of pinball wizard he really was....

image-4 (resized).jpg

#45 8 months ago

If price is unknown the right auction will tell it to you.

#46 8 months ago

Would love to have this but don't want to risk international shipping on such a rare item. Good luck with whoever gets it.

Quoted from vid1900:

I wish somebody had access to the film footage of Roger Daltrey playing Bigfoot.
Then we could see what kind of pinball wizard he really was....

I've got some brief video footage of Gabe Kaplan and Dan Haggerty playing the Bigfoot prototype on '70s TV game show "US against the World."

That Marty Feldman/Roger Daltrey shot has to be from the same show as Haggerty/Kaplan in the footage are wearing similar attire with country flags.

» Vimeo video

#47 8 months ago

Wow nice item look.at all the extra boxes under the pin at the show. Looks like some of my pins at home.

I am 49 grew up watching in search of..playing in the woods and hoping to find Bigfoot. Very Interested if you price it.

#48 8 months ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

I've got some brief video footage of Gabe Kaplan and Dan Haggerty playing the Bigfoot prototype on '70s TV game show "US against the World."

Thanks for posting it.

Note that it starts after the 1:00 mark.

#49 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks for posting it.
Note that it starts after the 1:00 mark.

No problems.

I didn't mind the bowling ball shots at the :25 second mark either.

#50 8 months ago

WOW, thanks for posting that video. I've never seen the game in action, especially a overhead shot of the entire playfield. You just helped to put another piece to the puzzle in place. Thanks again!!

John

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 124.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys
$ 179.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,089.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 194.99
$ 43.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 90 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.