Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you prefer secondhand games?”

• Bone Stock 64 votes
      47%
    • Stock with Just a Shaker Motor 20 votes
      15%
    • Game with Company Specific Accessories 25 votes
      18%
    • Game with Audio Upgrades 1 vote
      1%
    • Game that is Lightly Modded 10 votes
      7%
    • The More Mods the Merrier 16 votes
      12%

(136 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I know people have different taste when it comes to buying used games but I would really like to know where pinside is at as a whole on this. Me personally I don't get trying to sell a pin that is still being produced at a higher tier price just because it has a few mods on it. If I were into mods I would want to put the mods in it that I like and not pay someone else a higher price for the ones they like just to switch it out later? I also understand the argument of if you don't like the mods then don't buy the machine but at the same time I think if it didn't have some of the mods in it then the pin would also sell faster. Added a poll with just a few options, let me know if I need to add some.

#2 1 year ago

I don't like when people take older games from the 90s and powder coat the wire ramps. I'd rather have the game look as it was originally designed. Some of the powder coating decisions for the legs and rails are questionable at times.

#3 1 year ago

I’m not paying extra for mods, so just depends on the price.

#4 1 year ago

I don't mind any mods as long as they're easily reversible!

#5 1 year ago

I’ve seen games for sale that state “ I have over 2k in Mods” Ok, no one asked you to do that but to each his own.

#6 1 year ago

A TON of people are buying pinstadiums, colordmd’s , pinwoofer, powder coat, anti-reflective glass, speaker lights and trinkets - and of course toppers. And they sell like hotcakes when sold used at a minor discount. So there is zero problem selling heavily modded machines for most or all of the cost. Something for everyone, but taking a position that well done mods (not glued on action figures or crappy 3D printed stuff) are not worth anything when buying a machine is kinda ridiculous these days.

#7 1 year ago

The more blue and purple LEDs in a game the better!

#8 1 year ago

There are tasteful mods. #1 Color DMD, #2 Shaker, #3 A Good Topper, #4 Anti Glare Glass, #5 Tasteful Armor etc... The bottom line is you have to decide what mods are worth paying extra for. No different than selecting an LE over a Base game. I agree that I am most likely to buy a Base game and install my own mods. But some folks do not want to install anything themselves so they want a loaded machine.

#9 1 year ago

Cheap.

#10 1 year ago

Agree in some cases. Definitely a personal choice. I've seen some color choices recently that I think are disgusting and others think are beautiful.

#11 1 year ago

Maybe I just noticed it recently, but seems like a lot of the people flipping a lot of games are attempting to justify their big price increases on the flip by adding a few cheesy mods… which to me is nearly the textbook definition of lipstick on a pig.

#12 1 year ago

Cheap and broken. I find it more enjoyable to fix them and bring them back to life. And I am cheap.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

“How do you prefer secondhand games?”

I have no set answer to this. It all depends on the particular game and the mods that have been added.

I like to mod/upgrade my games and have no issue with paying for quality additions in games that I buy. I also don't mind buying bare bones games and having the ability to then upgrade them as I wish. It's all price negotiable.

#15 1 year ago

If it is not a ColorDMD or a very well designed mod like pinsider thompso9 CFTBL speaker mod, you can keep it. You'll be paying me to remove cheap ass shit (read: I'll be asking for the pin cheaper than what you want to sell it for).

#16 1 year ago

No rainbow Puke...even when you say, it's "tastefully done".

#17 1 year ago

Pinball Mods can be good or bad. If they are ones I like, I would say the more the merrier. Of course, one could take off the other ones as well.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

The more blue and purple LEDs in a game the better!

You're in luck these days!

I'm not paying for your glued on dolls.

#19 1 year ago

I like them working.

Rather than modded, I would much prefer restored to original condition / appearance with some exceptions.

#20 1 year ago

Sometimes working sometimes broken with prices these days

#21 1 year ago

This. And I don't mind broken. I've seen a lot of people tend to throw expensive boards at a problem, rather than trying to figure out the issue, which would result in a $5 repair, rather than a $200-$300 repair. So, I don't want to pay for someone's $200-$300 repair baked into the price of the game.

I don't particularly care much about most mods. Some people tend to go way overboard.

Some can be nice enhancements, but I always prefer mods that are easily reversible.

Is colordmd really a mod at this point? Or more of an enhancement?

#22 1 year ago

There are mods that add value and as such can add $ when the game is sold:
    Color DMD. Non-reflective glass. Brass, Black, Chrome, SS or OEM upgrade armor. Shaker. Possibly a topper (you can always sell it separately if need be).
    Then there are mods that might be nice but just don't add any value (sellers should not expect to recuperate the cost of these mods). These mods can also clutter a game very quickly thus creating a "heavily-modded" game.
    Personally I would rather mod the game myself. I have bought games in the past that I had to strip a bunch of the mods off because it was just too much....at least for me.

#23 1 year ago

“Over 2k in mods. Too many to list.”

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This. And I don't mind broken.

To a degree I prefer them that way because I enjoy the repair process. I have a few recent Stern pins and enjoy them but bringing one back from the dead or building from scratch is more my speed.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

I know people have different taste when it comes to buying used games but I would really like to know where pinside is at as a whole on this. Me personally I don't get trying to sell a pin that is still being produced at a higher tier price just because it has a few mods on it. If I were into mods I would want to put the mods in it that I like and not pay someone else a higher price for the ones they like just to switch it out later? I also understand the argument of if you don't like the mods then don't buy the machine but at the same time I think if it didn't have some of the mods in it then the pin would also sell faster. Added a poll with just a few options, let me know if I need to add some.

It depends on the mod. Things like color Dmds, very well done mods (like Medisynl, art of pinball, and etc), toppers, mirrored backglass, anti-reflective glass, and for some people chrome…. I think brings some value.

However…. Most mods are like trinkets, and if anything make the game look worse.

#26 1 year ago

Don’t get me wrong, I understand what a lot of y’all are saying in this thread with the color DMDs, the anti-reflection glass, shaker, etc., I kinda wanted to do this poll and thread because of all the “loaded with mods” posts in the market all the time. I probably should have done a few more options with the glass, shaker, dmd combo as one of them but for the peeps that keep jacking up the value for all the playfield mods it has been my experience that the vast majority of pinheads don’t like them and certainly don’t want to pay the extra money for them.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

...all the “loaded with mods” posts in the market all the time...

I immedialty stop reading/looking at the ad.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:…but for the peeps that keep jacking up the value for all the playfield mods it has been my experience that the vast majority of pinheads don’t like them and certainly don’t want to pay the extra money for them.

If by playfield mods you mean cheap 3D printed stuff, crappy led jobs, matchbox cars and action figures then I agree very few want. But disagree that quality playfield mods aren’t in high demand. Just look at the huge wait lists for well done Godzilla mods, and the majority of Spooky and JJP games sold are higher end models with no gameplay differences and a lot of molded playfield stuff.

Seems like the clear majority of home collectors actually want “modded machines” as long as they are OEM quality/design. And the quality of some of the stuff currently being put out by talented people on here is pretty amazing - much better than the largest 3D printed mod supplier.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

If by playfield mods you mean cheap 3D printed stuff, crappy led jobs, matchbox cars and action figures then I agree very few want. But disagree that quality playfield mods aren’t in high demand. Just look at the huge wait lists for well done Godzilla mods, and the majority of Spooky and JJP games sold are higher end models with no gameplay differences and a lot of molded playfield stuff.
    Seems like the clear majority of home collectors actually want “modded machines” as long as they are OEM quality/design. And the quality of some of the stuff currently being put out by talented people on here is pretty amazing - much better than the largest 3D printed mod supplier.

Part of what you are saying here also goes back to my original argument of trying to sell a lower tiered machine at a higher tiered machine price. I get the higher end models part, but most people are going to want just that, the higher end model without the other trinkets on them. What I am trying to get at though is that the mods people put on their games don't make a pro all of a sudden jump up to the premium price. The Godzilla Neon Sign Mod is awesome and to me one of the best out there but it doesn't make a pro worth $9k+. It's not a "promium" because it's not got the same things that make the Godzilla premium the much better game that it is (personal opinion here not trying to start a pro vs premium debate).

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

And the quality of some of the stuff currently being put out by talented people on here is pretty amazing - much better than the largest 3D printed mod supplier.

They are even better than what Stern puts on their LEs. Look at atomic Godzilla or oracle and sarcophagus for imdn. I would pay for those on a second hand game. Or if the buyer doesn’t want them they can easily be sold separate.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoachBacca:

It's not a "promium" because it's not got the same things that make the Godzilla premium the much better game that it is (personal opinion here not trying to start a pro vs premium debate).

Totally agree with you, but when some premiums are going for $12-15k people are able to pump up pros to $10k. I just traded a nicely modded STh pro for $9k value and the guy took off the topper and flipped it 2 days later for $9.5k. Crazy.

#32 1 year ago

As i think that pinball peaked in 1992, I want my games with a little wear, but otherwise complete
    I like colorDMD, but I don't play powder coated side rails

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

There are mods that add value and as such can add $ when the game is sold:
    Color DMD. Non-reflective glass. Brass, Black, Chrome, SS or OEM upgrade armor. Shaker. Possibly a topper (you can always sell it separately if need be).

One is a mod that takes care of factory issues, especially if not in production anymore. For instance an EnerGI Maestro on a DE/Sega machine is a must have mod, but they don't get made often.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Totally agree with you, but when some premiums are going for $12-15k people are able to pump up pros to $10k. I just traded a nicely modded STh pro for $9k value and the guy took off the topper and flipped it 2 days later for $9.5k. Crazy.

Games and pros like STh and GB are exceptions in the market. Those are highly sought after right now and again back to the original argument when I said:

Quoted from CoachBacca:

I don't get trying to sell a pin that is still being produced at a higher tier price just because it has a few mods on it.

#35 1 year ago

Price is most important, but as has been stated, if the mods have a resale value (ColorDMD, PinSound), then there’s some justification to the price. But overall it just comes Down to how badly you want to take home that machine. It’s harder to find deals and indeed even games at ALL at a decent price lately

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I immedialty stop reading/looking at the ad.

I stop reading and look at the pics.
    It's like driving past a traffic accident, you have to look.

#37 1 year ago

I like them fresh off route complete with creative operator craftsmanship. Love bringing these back to life.

My least favorite is from a home user or hobbiest with little to no skill for repair that has placed cheap LEDs throughout and not even taken the time to clean the inserts.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

I like them fresh off route complete with creative operator craftsmanship. Love bringing these back to life.

Regardless what Levi says, the Euro container units have been by far the most interesting.

Hack city!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-prefer-secondhand-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.