Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bicyclenut
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you play your EMs?”

• I cradle, trap, pass... and stay in the zone. Pinball is serious business! Stop and go all the way. 17 votes
      20%
    • I go with the flow. Hitting moving balls is fun! I generally aim, but usually just want to get a good 'whack' and then let the score reels (or bulbs) sort it out. 39 votes
      46%
    • My play varies on the game, In order to go pro you need to adjust your strategy! 26 votes
      31%
    • I'm not sure? I'm usually half watching the tv while playing. 2 votes
      2%

(84 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I've come to recognize that I'm a 'recreational' player. Meaning: I'll lose track of certain goals mid game... and then realize that I've just been playing for 'fun'. Guess my mind wanders. When competing it changes, but most of my play is solo. So, I go with the flow! What kind of player are you?

#2 8 years ago

Spray and pray.....

#3 8 years ago

I try to go with the flow, but it has to vary by game. Stubby flipper games are almost ALWAYS go with the flow because the shot margin is so small. I never try and catch on a stubby. I also have a hard time popping the ball on them, or tap passing. But a 3 inch game, sure, I'll try to calm things down a bit. If it is slow enough to catch, I will grab it and then take a second to figure out my next shot. Unless it is Lawman, in which case I will just flail and fail.

#4 8 years ago

I have one EM one SS and two DMDs, I play the EM more than all the others put together.

Interesting fact #2, I spend more time playing my EM than fixing(Bally - Monte Carlo -1973) , can't say that for my DMDs. My SS - CE3K is also not bad when it comes to reliable –Wait it is also available as an EM. Must seek the EM version out.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I never try and catch on a stubby.

2" are tough to control, I agree. But even those games will have strategies that will go 'out the window' at some point, for me.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

I have one EM one SS and two DMDs, I play the EM more than all the others put together.

Follow that light, brother.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

2" are tough to control, I agree.

Never liked 2" as a kid or now.

#8 8 years ago

ya 2"s are nudgers. That's another thing I'll space out on going between 2s and 3s. Doh! I should be nudging!...as it drains.

#9 8 years ago

As I've said before, two inch flippers are a great separator.

You can catch on them. It just takes some practice. If you grew up playing them, three inch flippers and inlanes made things a lot different.

I voted on the "varies" category.

#10 8 years ago

All of the above. Sometimes when I have a newly acquired game I'll spend a couple weeks hyper focused trying to beat the machine. Other times I play just to relax, just batting the ball around.

#11 8 years ago

Wait - you're supposed to play these things?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Wait - you're supposed to play these things?

Yes, or they should be moved on for better players.

edit: not meaning yours aren't great players...oh you know what I meant.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

All of the above. Sometimes when I have a newly acquired game I'll spend a couple weeks hyper focused trying to beat the machine. Other times I play just to relax, just batting the ball around.

When I have a hot streak going (won on a couple in a row) then I have to tell myself, 'focus!', as I want to beat as many in a row as I can. My scoring in general is not good though, which is weird because I have the nervous twitch (itchy trigger finger) going for me. I do have bad luck with house balls though, so there's that.

#14 8 years ago

Only five years separate my two EM's - same manufacturer, same design team, VERY different styles of play. On Jet Spin I'll catch and control the ball to line up my shots, but Flying Carpet is much more of a flow-and-nudge game.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

When I have a hot streak going (won on a couple in a row) then I have to tell myself, 'focus!', as I want to beat as many in a row as I can. My scoring in general is not good though, which is weird because I have the nervous twitch (also called an itchy trigger finger) going for me. I do have bad luck with house balls though, so there's that.

I am generally a lousy player. Although, when I have a machine at my disposal with no distractions at home...

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I am generally a lousy player. Although,

Challenge accepted Alex! Haha I will be contacting you once my pin room is complete. A week or so out.

#17 8 years ago

................................Hopefully with a good buzz going!

#18 8 years ago

OP are you originally from Erie PA? Presque Isle??

#19 8 years ago

Some EM are only playable with the hit on the fly, especially when the flipper set up doesn't allow for trapping the ball.
    Most 3 inch flipper games allow for catching and then aiming the ball.

#20 8 years ago

Depending on my mood.

Sometimes I like to relax and watch the ball while playing.
    Most of the time I'm trying to beat the game!

Bruce

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

OP are you originally from Erie PA? Presque Isle??

I live in Presque Isle WI a week out of the month, Middleton/Madison WI is home though. Guess there is a Presque Isle MI, also. You guys have the famous Presque Isle.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Some EM are only playable with the hit on the fly, especially when the flipper set up doesn't allow for trapping the ball.
    Most 3 inch flipper games allow for catching and then aiming the ball.

Try trapping on Jack's Open. Ugh! Every time I play that game, there is always one ball where I zone out, try a trap and oops.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

................................Hopefully with a good buzz going!

Too late to add to the poll, unfortunately.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Try trapping on Jack's Open. Ugh! Every time I play that game, there is always one ball where I zone out, try a trap and oops.

That open inlane is on a few pins, and is indeed tricky.
    Take a look at Strange World, no in-lanes. When a player gets use to controlling the ball off of the flipper and getting the ball to roll up the kicker. The ball will just climb the kicker rubber and roll out to the out lane. Yikes!

#25 8 years ago

Whilst standing.

#26 8 years ago

I'm a nudger and I like trick shots . Example on Diamond Jack lobbing the ball into the 4 or 8 rollover lanes . Basically it's a plunger shot sort of where you hit that target lane directly all net, no rim .

#27 8 years ago

Hi
    A, B, C, D: A and C are related, I vote "C" - could also have voted "A". In "my" early years pins were "2 inch flipper pins" - first love Shangri-La (still love it and have one) -> sensation -> "3 inch flippers" appeared -> pins like Far Out / Big Deal / Fan-Tas-Tic / Surf Champ / Joker Poker (would like to have the EM-Version - but SS is also fine).

Here: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl -> http://www.ipdb.org/playing/skills.html everything ...
    Some videos: http://www.ipdb.org/playing/wizard.html#DropStop Drop Stop and Flip Trap - and more ... -> -> -> should I have voted "A" ?
    Greetings Rolf

P.S.: Strange - cannot vote ...

#28 8 years ago

Sometimes I play all 6 of mine at the same time...seriously.

#29 8 years ago

With a 2 inch flipper bat you get to know the shots on the fly very, very well. 3 inch flipper EMs become very easy to play because it is like having a big over sized whiffle ball bat to hit the ball and easier to trap a ball to aim a shot. I prefer 2 inch flipper play on the fly.

#30 8 years ago

Pretty much go with the flow, but certain games I try to make certain shots or try a strategy specific to the game. Play on the fly but think about where I want to send the ball.

( I avoid for the most part any shaking or nudging the machine. Don't want to add wear and tear on the legs and cabinet connections. They probably all had enough work back in the day )

Play for fun and like to have friends and guests play them too. Go with the flow and have fun.

#31 8 years ago

It depends on the game. On a lot of the woodrails, nudging and bumping are a must to keep the ball in play. On the 3" flipper games, a lot of trapping and skill shots to run up the bonus counter.

#32 8 years ago

Just finished (November) a Top Hand rebuild aab that has 2" flippers. I really enjoy the different game play and ball control needed with the shorter flippers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-williams-top-hand-aab-cards-babes-the-old-west

But back on topic, my play style is mostly go with the flow. Aim on the fly, etc.

#33 8 years ago

In the 70's it was intense. Played like my life was on the line. Today I play and basically just enjoy the game. Of course, I still try to win.

#34 8 years ago

I play to win! Doesn't always happen though...

#35 8 years ago

I play for high score. In my house I have a dry erase board with the high scores for each game and who holds them. Mostly it's just me and my 18yr son who plays. But a few friends drop by every now and then.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.