I have playing AC/DC a couple of times a week on location since the beginning of March. I have only played the Pro so far, although a location near me recently got an LE, so I plan to go play that one soon.
I have noticed on the forums that (even aside from the rankings issue, which I am not interested in), there is a great deal of love for the game among people here, and lots of comments about how incredibly fun it is, a new all-time classic, and so on.
Personally, I like the game fine. Well, maybe more than fine. I go play it maybe two or three times a week, and while I always enjoy myself and do think it is fun to play, I think the main reason I keep coming back to it is more about it being new than thinking it is one of the greatest games ever as so many here seem to feel.
Which got me wondering if maybe I'm not playing it in the way that will get me the most enjoyment.
So I thought it would be interesting to hear what other people do when they play, what your strategy is, and so on, and maybe that would help me get more out of it.
I have not really settled on a strategy or a routine that I think is the best. I vary the songs I start with - often I will start with Whole Lotta Rosie, then switch to You Shook Me All Night Long next, which I can usually do in time to start multiballs. That seems pretty lucrative. Other times I will go with Rock and Roll Train or War Machine, and then focus on either Jam Multiball or Tour Multiball depending on which song I have selected. In short, I'm kind of haphazard and all over the place, still trying to figure out both what I enjoy most and what is most lucrative in terms of points.
Aside from the song choice, my usual routine for playing is basically: shoot for ramps, get Jam Multiball, I am not that great a player, the ball bounces around a lot when I play, so I usually end up getting Album Multiball just by accident either before or shortly after getting Jam Multiball. When that's all done, I go for Tour Multiball, and then if I'm still playing when that's over, I just start the whole process all over again with Jam Multiball.
So, questions (don't feel like you have to answer them all, any feedback about how to play would be helpful):
1. What songs do you like to play? Do you have a particular order you usually play the songs? Or do you mix it up?
2. Do you change the song every chance you get? Or do you hold out to continue building bigger song jackpots?
3. How much effort do you put into going for the bell? I understand that this gives scoring multipliers, but I do have trouble sometimes making the shot and if I miss I often end up losing the ball, so I never really focus on it, just take it when I hit it by accident, which happens not too infrequently. Is this something I should be focusing on more?
4. Do you focus on/make an effort to try to complete all the songs? Do I understand the game correctly in thinking that the way to complete songs is to just hit all the shots in the game? And that this is the same for every song? I don't intend this thread to be about criticizing the game, really I just want to understand it better, but honestly, this sounds really tedious and repetitive to me, so I would like to know if maybe I am misunderstanding the game. Am I? If not, do other people think that is kind of boring as well?
5. Just in general, do you have a routine of objectives you like to go for when you play? What is it?
I should also probably note that I am by no means some stellar pinball player. My best score on AC/DC so far is 132M, and my average games tend to fall somewhere between 20 and 30M.
Post edited by Flamethrower : formatting