(Topic ID: 68317)

How do you organize your parts (and tools)?

By Deaconblooze

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

milwuake6 (resized).png
    milwuake5 (resized).png
    milwuake4 (resized).png
    milwuake3 (resized).png
    milwuake2 (resized).png
    milwuakee1 (resized).png
    stanley (resized).png
    sterilite 2 (resized).png
    sterilite 1 (resized).png
    tool bag 2 (resized).png
    tool bag 1 (resized).png
    20131108_193551.jpg
    image_14910.jpg
    1374.jpg
    20131031_224145-91.jpg
    20131031_223924.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I struggle with how to separate my parts. How specific do you get when organizing parts? Do you put together all IC's and dig through them when you need a specific number? It seems harder to keep inventory that way, but it definitely saves some space and keeps things more compact.

I've got a 'travel' set of items, but it's really more than I'd like to carry around. I leave behind what I can, but often bring it all for insurance:

-Tool bag (portable soldering iron, screwdrivers, ratchet/sockets, nut drivers, diagnostic equiment, q-tips, toothpicks, etc, etc, etc)
    -Electronics organizer (IC's, resistors, diodes, connectors, BRs, transistors, etc)
    -LED organizer

The organizers are quite nice, with removable and re-arrangeable part bins. I took a pic of some of my favorite tools that help me to keep things "light". The socket holder works well, it's nice and compact while holding things securely. The bit holder is one of my favorites, I hate having to carry around those bulky vacuum formed cases. The butane soldering iron is nice when I know I won't be getting into any PCB work, if I do need to, throw in the hakko soldering/desoldering irons.. I despise the need to pack those items.

At my house, I struggle with what to do with used parts, or bulkier items. Should I break down old flipper assemblies? Should I bother filing them in wall hanging organizers, or toss them into open bins?

I'd be interested to hear what others have done to organize their parts. Bonus points for compact/portable. My pictures show things in their current mid-organizing state

20131028_214851.jpg20131028_214851.jpg 20131028_215108.jpg20131028_215108.jpg 20131028_214836.jpg20131028_214836.jpg 20131028_214827.jpg20131028_214827.jpg
    #4 10 years ago

This thread is getting buried! Must not be enough controversy. WoZ. MM. There, that should do it.

#7 10 years ago

I guess what l've pictured does look kinda organized. .. but I've got a lot of the other bulkier parts in pinballlife boxes waiting for a home.

That, and those drawer organizers are mostly empty, I grouped most the parts that uside to reside there into more general bins in the yellow stanley carry organizers.

Im interested to see what others with spare parts do for storage!

#10 10 years ago

A tackle box such as Gtown's is nice, but I know I'd find myself with a bunch of open boxes without any clear organization at the end of a job. That's just me. I like my open mouth bag for trips so I can quickly throw some of the bigger tools in and sort later. They all have a place (to a degree), and eventually they find themselves back there because they're open and easily accessible.

#22 10 years ago

Oops.

I just ordered some more bins stackable for larger or used parts. I figure I'll build a shelf unit for them.

2 weeks later
    #28 10 years ago

So I've been sorting through my mess of parts. I opted for some parts bins of various sizes, but mostly smaller ones. I've got them sorted out into fairly general groups, for example:

Flipper Coils
    Specialty Coils
    Plunger Assys
    Coil Stops
    Plastics
    Rubber Rings
    Rubber Posts
    Bulbs
    Screws/Bolts
    Nuts
    Washers
    Leaf Switches
    Micro Switches
    Playfield Switches
    Diodes
    Etc etc etc.

This is a lot better than my previous "cardboard box filled with random shit" method. I've got a french (freedom) cleat system in my shop. I plan to build some tilted shelves with lips so you can easily see and rifle through each bin without having to remove it. Here's a pic of my (dis)organization:

20131108_193551.jpg20131108_193551.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-organize-your-parts-and-tools?tu=deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.