(Topic ID: 145459)

How Do You Order LED's?

By scampcamp

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've purchased 2 LED sets for my T2 & Funhouse from Cointaker & am very happy with their LED's & their customer service is A+ but this time I am going to try ordering each LED individually from Comet for my Shaq Attaq & Twilight Zone.

So... how do you go about doing this? Do you make a note of each insert color & keep track which style? 44,47 555 or flasher. Then count how many GI bulbs you need & what color... same as backbox?

Thanks for your advice.

#2 8 years ago

In a word, yes.
I make a list of all the colors for 44s and another for 555s. Then I put tic marks next to each color. If I am doing more than one machine at a time, I make a separate list. I will make a separate entry for any special bulbs such as for pops, start buttons, flashers etc...

#3 8 years ago

Yes, that's pretty much the process, but beware that it often takes two or more orders, because you always find something you missed. I invariably under-order on GI bulbs.

It is also a good idea to look closely for situations where you might want to use a flex-head instead of a normal LED (anywhere where the insert is to the side of the light, and not above it). On TZ, I know I used them for lock, extra ball and shoot again, just for examples. One or more of the greed targets also does better with a flex-head.

#4 8 years ago

There are a couple ways to go about doing this.

The unique part is the goal of trying to do it all at once and perfect.....Even kits arent perfect, so no matter which method you use.
Dont be afraid of a small follow up order to achieve perfection for yourself.

You want to take note of the sockets in your back box, and do a quick count.
Youll need approx 50pc 44/47 for your GI.

Simply chose the shade of white you want. Natural (cool), Sunlight, or Warm.
I personally recommend Sunlight Frosted in your entire GI to Start.

Check your inserts, only count the minority, usually 44/47.

From the top count your colors.

Color match if Twin 2835, again frosted. If 1 SMD 5050, what you have had in your kits before, Warm white for yellow and orange,

Heres a couple of a post which is a little repetitive,

If you dont want to count all this, just peek in the back box, then order a Universal kit.
Youll craft your game exactly what pleases you, and master this really fast.

Heres a link to a brightness chart, which is all thats needed to decide what brightness.

2 LED Clear...1 SMD Frosted.....Twin 2835.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1825.htm

Im afraid we dont offer game specific kits, buts thats the Good News!

The reason is, i would never believe my taste in brightness and colors would be the same as anyone else.

We offer two universal choices, allowing you to create the look you want.

We have a Starter Kit of 150 1 SMD bulbs, The average game and "kit" is from $150-$175 for the same bulb.
This Starter Kit is $99 with Free Shipping,

You may likely find, a small follow up order of $15-$20 to finish some games.
You pick your white color...Natural, Sunlight, or Warm, and the rest is a nice assortment to achieve your goal.

The other Universal kit is 250 Bulbs, your choice of a 1 SMD 5050, again standard, or the newer brighter Twin 2835.
About 25% brighter, which will allow you to play in the dark!
These are $149 and $159 with Free Shipping!

Stick with Frosted.

More then enough to create the look you want in game one, and get half way through game 2!!
About enough to complete 2 Sterns!

In this kit, youll complete any game, and have a from 75-100 bulbs for the next game.

Both of these allow a game to be completed for around $100-$120.

Another choice, especially with the sale is to take advantage of the whites on sale.

With that 150 Average, (125 Stern, 175 Bally Williams), 50 are 44/47 and 100 are #555 in More Modern games.

Thes 150 would run $75.00, and a game looks great with all Sunlight Frosted!
Add some color and your set!

These are all on our Sale Flier, easy to Order, and the Sale runs through tomorrow Midnight!

With Some Sunlight still available, and $.99 Flashers, Even a full game, Strips, Flashers, everything, $100 is possible per game.

Hope this helps.

Browse our site, as well as everyone elses for Ideas, and info on advanced lighting..which is always fun to try too!

If anyone reading this finds it confusing, Kits, that are game specific from other Vendors are a good choice too, and many enjoy the
hard work put into those...All good!

#5 8 years ago

You have 8 games -- get a bucket of them (Comet's 300pc: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/300-pack-smd.htm) and have fun getting the games LEDed the way you like it.

#6 8 years ago

I just order a bunch of every bulb and just see what looks best. What you think might look best while ordering might be a lot different than what actually looks good once the bulbs are in place.

I personally like a mix of frosted and clear GI and adding some colors to some areas. And some games I like all the same color. That's why I always have a few of every possible combination.

#7 8 years ago

If you can, avoid multiple shipping charges:

Order 1: Bought several flavors in small qtys to get myself acquainted with the options, results and my preferences
Order 2: Bought what I thought would be enough to get the job done, but fell short by just ~3-4 - D'oh!
Order 3: Bought the missing pieces plus a few spares

Here's what I learned:

1. I prefer incandescents for all visible GI lamps (lots of yellows & reds on my JP playfield - a good fit for warm lamps)
2. I prefer warm-white frosted LEDs for under playfield inserts and all backlight lamps
3. I prefer non-ghosting LEDs - ghosting was really obnoxious to my eyes on other samples
4. I tried color matching some of the inserts, but really do prefer simple warm-white results across the board
5. I do catch a small bit of flicker on rare occasions, from the corner of my eye, with quick eye motion - not terrible at all

Good luck!

#8 8 years ago

Take stock of the styles, colors, and types of bulbs you need then order a crapload of extras because you counted wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-order-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.