4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RVH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

snack.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Is their a specific way to nudge?..Push/Pull/shake the table? I try to do it as I love Em's but seems

it rarely helps...Must be missing something....

#2 4 years ago

All ways. But keep in mind sometimes you need to let that tilt bob settle down a bit or even the slightest nudge can tilt it.

#3 4 years ago

It all depends on the situation I'm in. And what era of game I'm playing. On EM games I find myself just doing small fast taps on the cabinet trying to get the ball to go where I want it to go or to stay in an area like pop bumpers. On SS and DMD games I do a lot more shaking of the cabinet and actually pushing it in different directions. Sometimes even sliding the machine slightly if the tilt will let me.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mercury:

Is their a specific way to nudge?..Push/Pull/shake the table? I try to do it as I love Em's but seems
    it rarely helps...Must be missing something....

EMs are a special beast. I find high-slapping (slapping the side when the ball is on the orbit midway up the table) is especially valuable on woodrails and short flipper EMs. Joshua Hendersen is very good at this. Check out some of his papa vids.

#5 4 years ago

I use a palm tap on either the front left or right left of the lock down bar for 60's game with roll overs like North Star, Kings and Queens and King of Diamonds to name a few. For 70's games I use slap or a open palm depending on which out lane it might go down. Always tap opposite of the way you want the ball to go when slapping the side rail near the flippers.

#6 4 years ago

Is that before or after your snack Mr. Spicoli?

snack.jpg

#7 4 years ago

I am just learning about slapping and nudging Cuba and eating some food.

#8 4 years ago

I nudge a lot and often, after many games my palms sometimes a little sore for leaning some weight into the machine with some release-reapply from one or both shoulders/arms. not trying for tilt warnings or tilts and usually dont get them unless trying and testing to see what a machine will allow. slide saves death saves and bangbacks, too crazy to me.
    leaning weight into it kinda reverse nudges on release, forward nudges with weight put back, not so much weight I cant do straight side nudges too. nudges with quick counter nudges hopefully to not cause a tilt bob to start swinging, is the idea anyway.

new idea? whip up a magnetic base tilt bob with 3v and an LED to stick on a machine. if set a little more sensitive than the one in the machine something like this might be good for working up some better nudging skills, good bumping without starting the thing swinging around..

#9 4 years ago

One key to nudging is to remember you move the table, not the ball. You push objects into or out of the way of the ball, not the other way around. For instance, if a ball is heading for the right slingshot, if you push the table toward the right, then you move the sling away from the ball and rob it of some of its energy. If you push the table left, into the ball, you ensure the sling kicks the ball and add some energy.

It may seem like that's obvious, but I've seen a lot of people thinking they are shoving the ball around with their nudges. Telling them to move the playfield not the ball seems to help.

#10 4 years ago

There are as many ways to nudge as there are players. Some players nudge with their hips!

At the top of the field, you want to press forward as the ball is contacting a rubber to get it to bounce toward where you want it to go.

Same for the pop bumpers, but if the ball is contacting from the side wiggle the game left/right to generate more action.

At the lower field, push or shake to try to keep the ball from going anywhere near the outlanes.

It is really an experience thing. As suggested above, watch some PAPA videos of world class players and try to emulate what they do and when.

#11 4 years ago

Also....
    Tilt bobs, by design, typically allow more upward nudging than side to side. Use this to your advantage. Particularly on EM's, you need to use pops and upper playfield sling shots like extra flippers by upward nudging at appropriate times to get more action out of them. A classic example of this is Target Pool.

Of course, it can be dicey doing this if you don't know where the tilt threshold is in a tilt-ends-game situation.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I use a palm tap on either the front left or right left of the lock down bar for 60's game with roll overs like North Star, Kings and Queens and King of Diamonds to name a few. For 70's games I use slap or a open palm depending on which out lane it might go down. Always tap opposite of the way you want the ball to go when slapping the side rail near the flippers.

I agree with Rat and the others that each game has it's own nuances and you will want to encourage or discourage a ball to move in a certain direction. Some play, on the woodrails (Nags, Hawaiian Beauty) you want to "push" the lower playfield bumpers into the ball generating enough energy to get the ball to move upfield.

Rollovers, as on North Star, Bank a Ball, etc., need a forward push to encourage the ball to go down a certain lane. But, playing the lower rollovers, or finessing the post, requires the lateral movement to shake the ball "out" of the lane or off the post onto the flipper.

Big flipper games, like El Do, are "easier" in comparison to the small flipper games and open palm is one way to help direct the ball to the appropriate lane.

I have made videos of game play of my machines and others that are posted in my Vimeo channel. Because Russ Snyder of Pinrescue has had his hands on all my games (sell/restore/assist/service), I'm happy to put a plug in for him.

Regarding nudging- some videos show the above better than others. I will state that my tilt settings are indeed active, perhaps more lenient than others may have their's, and there were plenty of video takes that didn't make it to the final because I tilted out. But, these games are much more fun when they are nudged and, IMHO, if you don't tilt once in awhile, you aren't being aggressive enough.

North Star: https://vimeo.com/124162870

Once in my channel, you can see some effective/lucky nudging on a difficult to control Frontiersman, Hawaiian Beauty and an epic ball on El Dorado.

#14 4 years ago

Hi there
    interesting ?: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl -> Playing skills -> http://www.ipdb.org/playing/skills.html -> everything, especially -> Advanced Skills -> Shaking/Nudging: http://www.ipdb.org/playing/advanced.html#Shaking . Greetings Rolf

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

I nudge a lot and often, after many games my palms sometimes a little sore for leaning some weight into the machine with some release-reapply from one or both shoulders/arms. not trying for tilt warnings or tilts and usually dont ge them unless trying and testing to see what a machine will allow. slide saves death saves and bangbacks, too crazy to me.
    leaning weight into it kinda reverse nudges on release, forward nudges with weight put back, not so much weight I cant do straight side nudges too. nudges with quick counter nudges hopefully to not cause a tilt bob to start swinging, is the idea anyway.
    new idea? whip up a magnetic base tilt bob with 3v and an LED to stick on a machine. if set a little more sensitive than the one in the machine something like this might be good for working up some better nudging skills, good bumping without starting the thing swinging around..

I remember my first beer too...What?!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

I agree with Rat and the others that each game has it's own nuances and you will want to encourage or discourage a ball to move in a certain direction.

Yes, exactly. I believe that's a main reason why practising a particular game increases score on that machine. Maybe its a contributing factor to future boredom of a certain game?

#17 4 years ago

Excellent question.
    I feel nudging or pushing the machine forward is safer as the plum bob comes to rest MUCH sooner than a left or right shake that will leave the plumb bob moving for a long time making your next nudge more dangerous.
    If you have the chance lift the playfield on a game and nudge it forward vs right and left to see what i'm talking about.
    For you inventors out there I've wished there was a magnet connected to a button under the plumb bob to stop it between players or balls played in tournaments or casual play between friends. that would be super sweet.
    Make it so Q.
    Also maby someday there will be an app on my smartphone that lets me put it on the galss that could tell me what the plumb bob might be doing.
    that might be sweet also, it is the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 79.00
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 9.10
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 11.95
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside