Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

reels.jpg
    newlabels2.jpg
    reels9.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I'm looking for the best method for making coil wrappers at home. I know they can be bought and they can be downloaded off the net and professionally printed. I don't need any help going those routes. The problem is I can't keep every possible coil wrapper on hand and sometimes I just can't have a couple coil wrappers holding up the show. Im in the middle of something and I need some wrappers right then so I can move on. I want to be able to download the file, print, treat the paper and apply. Some questions I have are,
    What kind of paper are you using?
    What are you treating it with to give it that waxy, glossy finish?
    What kind of glue are you using?
    I'm sure there's more than one method so post them here.

#2 11 years ago

I buy complete sets from Planetary for my restorations.

If I'm not doing a restoration, a generic wrapper is good enough.

#3 11 years ago

Hm...

I found a lot coil wrapper on the net.
    I always wonder, why? If I make a 100% restoration, then sure, need to do. But has is got some practical reason? When I changed my coils, they've got a factory Bally wrappers on them. My three flipper coil has got two types, but technically they are the same. And, on the drop target coils I haven't got any wrapper. Should I cover them?

Post edited by Angyalpor : mistype

#4 11 years ago

When you say generic wrapper do you mean a white wrapper printed on computer paper with just the coil numbers? What kind of glue are you using? I've tried all the basic glues I have around the house and none look good. They all show through the paper. I'm sure I can go to michaels and find a spray adhesive or paper glue but I have not looked yet.

#5 11 years ago

I find when shopping out a pin the ink on coil wrappers bleed when cleaning them. I clean the coil with 91% bacause it's by far the best thing but it's hell on the wrapper ink. Anyone cleaning them or saving them any different?

#6 11 years ago

I wonder if route ops care about how the coil wrappers look these days? I know they didn't thirty years ago. Come to think of it, we never cleaned the underside of a playfield.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I clean the coil with 91%

Watch you don’t remove the varnish of the coil with that solvent.

#8 11 years ago

When I say generic, I mean the original wrappers - I don't care on non-restorations if a coil says 'Williams' or 'This Old Coil Company', etc.

If I need to clean a coil, I use blue dawn dish soap. Cleans wrappers nicely, with no ink running. Just let em dry out real well. I blow mine out with an air compressor, and let them sit for a week or two in a warm area. Of course, I only clean them when doing restorations. On a repair, I might wipe them down with a cleaner on a rag, but I don't scrub the bobbins then, etc.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

Watch you don’t remove the varnish of the coil with that solvent.

I've cleaned hundreds of coils with 91% and have never had a problem. I've never heard of 91% harming a coil. How do you clean them? A 30 scrubbing with a soft child's toothbrush and then blown out with air has worked great for me. What do you suggest?

#10 11 years ago

If you need to make one, just use the adhesive backed UPS/FedEx shipping labels you can buy at Staples/Office Depot - the one with two shipping label sheets per page.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

If you need to make one, just use the adhesive backed UPS/FedEx shipping labels you can buy at Staples/Office Depot - the one with two shipping label sheets per page.

Is that the best route to go for printing these?

#12 11 years ago

I print them in my laser printer onto ordinary photocopy paper of the correct (or close) colour then I use the double sided 'glue' tape by 3M - the stuff that is ONLY glue, not the foam stuff - works a treat.

// Error: Image 64390 not found // reels9.jpgreels9.jpg newlabels2.jpgnewlabels2.jpg

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

I like this idea. Thanks.

#14 11 years ago

I do what Homepin does. Print them with a laser on colored paper, then use double sided tape to stick the ends together.

I bought "Astrobrights" brand paper, it came in an assortment pack with really vibrant and bright colors. I prefer them over some of the pastels, so I am going to use the brighter colors just for fun.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I do what Homepin does. Print them with a laser on colored paper, then use double sided tape to stick the ends together.
    I bought "Astrobrights" brand paper, it came in an assortment pack with really vibrant and bright colors. I prefer them over some of the pastels, so I am going to use the brighter colors just for fun.

I like the Idea for a shop job. Its definitely practical and inexpensive.A stack of paper and some tape and your ready to tackle any coil. For a rest. I want to be able to achieve that semi-gloss or waxy paper the original wrappers have. I appreciate all the tips guys. Just what I was looking for.

#16 11 years ago

DMD games don't have the waxy paper coils wrappers do they? It's mostly earlier era stuff right? Those pastel papers looks great for DMDs to my eyes.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

DMD games don't have the waxy paper coils wrappers do they? It's mostly earlier era stuff right? Those pastel papers looks great for DMDs to my eyes.

Maybe waxy is not the right word but I'm sure they have some sort or finish or protection to them. A semi-gloss of some sort. I don't believe they are just stock computer paper. They are stornger and don't tear the same for sure.

#18 11 years ago

I print onto self adhesive waterproof paper (think you can find it as map paper in the States) works a treat and is inexpensive

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

They are the waxy type paper which is a reason they hold up so well if cleaned the way John Wart described above. Planetary Pinball is the only source for the correct paper that I know of. I've made my own before as I have the files but from now on ill use the correct paper or just clean and reuse the ones in the game.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from drwicket:

Is that the best route to go for printing these?

Don't know if it's the best, but it's cheap and looks great compared to ratty old 'OEM' wrappers.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Quoted from mufcmufc:

I print onto self adhesive waterproof paper (think you can find it as map paper in the States) works a treat and is inexpensive

I like these. I'm going to stop by FedEx tomorrow and see what I can find. I also found the map paper/waterproof paper as low as $11.00 for 25 sheets. Didn't see it in colors anywhere though. Good idea guys. Now what's your preference for glue? I've tried super,stick,Elmer's and gorilla. They've all made a wet or oily looking spot come through the paper no matter how little I used. Now I know none of those are the best choices, that's just what I have around the house.

#22 11 years ago

Now what's your preference for glue?

I use the double sided 'glue' tape by 3M - the stuff that is ONLY glue, not the foam stuff - available from stationary stores reels.jpgreels.jpg

#23 11 years ago

This is really good info. I'm not even concerned about doing OEM colors. I'm thinking use colors that match the overall color scheme of the pin, even editing the graphics to make it match the pin. Say yellow and blue for a Whirlwind and even incorporating a small whirlwind graphic.

#24 11 years ago

Now what's your preference for glue?

That's one advantage to using the shipping labels, they have stick-em on the backside and adhere to themselves (just make sure to cut long enough to wrap the coil and then some). If you mess up or need to remove them, just slice down any part that doesn't overlap and the sticker comes right off without leaving any residue.

This is what I use: http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/labels-labelmakers/labels/labels-mailing-shipping/product-prod2240078

And you can easily get the wrapper coil papers in the correct color on the interwebs (don't think I should link to it here)

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

This is really good info. I'm not even concerned about doing OEM colors. I'm thinking use colors that match the overall color scheme of the pin, even editing the graphics to make it match the pin. Say yellow and blue for a Whirlwind and even incorporating a small Whirlwind graphic.

I don't see this being a bad thing. People go as far as powder coating their "armor" whatever color they want, why not coil wrappers?

1 year later
    #26 10 years ago

Trying to revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Has anyone tried any of the waterproof laser printer paper for their labels? I would think this would give that waxy finish like the original labels but I haven't tried any yet. This is one brand I found, but there are others available too. http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Weather-Copier-25-Pack/dp/B000KEJX90/ref=sr_1_2

3 years later
    #27 6 years ago

I'll see if I can get an answer on this old thread. What about flammability issues? I have had "stuck" coils get so hot the wrapper was very crispy but did not catch fire. Would printer paper be a fire hazard? Are the old wrappers flame retardant in any way?

3 months later
    #28 6 years ago

I've seen many brand new coils come with plain paper wrappers.

#29 6 years ago

THe old wrappers are printed on masking tape

3 years later
    #30 2 years ago

Figured I post this link to bring this thread back to life.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-make-your-coil-wrappers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.