(Topic ID: 202380)

How do you like your cabinet interior to be painted?

By cosmokramer

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by heni1977
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best way to paint cab interior”

• Paint top 3/4 with no tape line 10 votes
      20%
    • Paint top 3/4 with clean tape line 0 votes
    • Paint sides all the way to bottom 19 votes
      39%
    • Paint it all 20 votes
      41%

(49 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170322_004810 (resized).jpg
    20170322_004821 (resized).jpg
    4E6C9E0C-5E27-45AF-9FB0-EE0AE6E68CAA (resized).jpeg
    20180216_183513 (resized).jpg
    20180216_183524 (resized).jpg
    43786d6d6854f5440550f6744d0158cf24204ae7 (resized).jpg
    7537863760d928432d6b9755130514a1137ff76a (resized).jpg
    81bdf93499e97faaf4e4029c3d4341cd15e23ae8 (resized).jpg
    3ebe6ece3720a9a45a8d30a72aef99ba0edddfef (resized).jpg
    pp4 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Whats the favorite finish style for painting the inside of a brand new cab (not worried about covering up stains etc). Wpc era if that matters.

Paint just the top 3/4 with a natural blend to raw wood

Paint just the top 3/4 with a straight edje between paint and raw wood

Neatly tape off bottom and paint sides all the way down

Paint everything

See examples below...

pp4 (resized).jpg
    No tape line

3ebe6ece3720a9a45a8d30a72aef99ba0edddfef (resized).jpg
    Tape line

81bdf93499e97faaf4e4029c3d4341cd15e23ae8 (resized).jpg
    Painted sides all the way to bottom

7537863760d928432d6b9755130514a1137ff76a (resized).jpg
    Paint it all

#2 1 year ago

I like to keep it looking original.

While full or partial painting of the interior of the cabinet can look slick, it's not necessary, which is probably why it was never painted at the factory.

But, restorers seem to like doing it. Although the tape line example looks goofy to me--I'd say either just spray it with no tape line or do the whole cab wall. The tape line seems to be an in-between approach.

#3 1 year ago

I vote for original as well, unless you are going to restore every inner cabinet part and leave the playfield up for guests to see - in that case the entire interior of the cabinet.

#4 1 year ago

I like everything painted.

#5 1 year ago

Well, I like painting it all.

It just looks better to me, it probably is not so important since you only see that when looking inside.

It is much easier to cover all those old stains with paint instead of sanding the crap out of the bottom of the box.

Bud

#6 1 year ago

I like the sides painted all the way to the bottom, and the bottom left natural. It's just a cleaner look to me.

#7 1 year ago

I've tried painting all of it, and just leaving the bottom natural.

I like the look of fully painted better. It makes the metal components stand out more (assuming you've cleaned and polished/plated them)

#8 1 year ago

My Earthshaker I just finished was painted completely inside originally. It was the decaled cabinet version.

#9 1 year ago

I've always wondered why people refinish the interiors black. Wouldn't white make everything a lot easier to see for practical purposes? (I get that up top/visible area might need to be black to look right)

I won't be painting cabinets any time soon, but the paint does make cleaning them up easier.

#10 1 year ago

I paint everything, inside and bottom. The bottom is left natural but painted with a clear sealer. Wood left unfinished will expand and contract a lot more than wood that is sealed everywhere.

The factory left inside and outside bottom unfinished as a cost reduction - cabinet life wasn't a consideration.

#11 1 year ago

Full painted is sexy!!

#12 1 year ago

Just like the factory stencil overspray, I think that the top 3/4 no tape inside the cabinet paint job is simply a relic of industry laziness/corner cutting. Nothing about it looks nearly as good as the other three options. Personally I like the whole thing to be painted. It looks good. It's easier to keep clean. It's easier to see dropped parts, too.

#13 1 year ago

NEVER NEVER NEVER paint the bottom of the cabinet. Yuck

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from ita47:

I like the sides painted all the way to the bottom, and the bottom left natural. It's just a cleaner look to me.

Im thinking this is the route I will take, with a sealer applied to the raw wood bottom. If I dont like it I will paint the bottom as well, but I like the contrast.

#15 1 year ago

I kinda like the Clean tape line look myself. The complete sides next followed by entire.
    And of course the sloppy look last but that is more original look.

I don't know if painted entirely would help show off a dropped piece of hardware or not. ???

#16 1 year ago

Depends, are you restoring the game or restomodding?

Restoration makes it just like it came off the line, flaws and all. Restomodding is better than factory and adding improvements.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from ita47:

IMO, this. If it's a restore
    Job, its ok to go over And above Factory; they were being cost conscious, after all. Quickest way to the finish line.

The "no tape line" photo, where
    The separator board is also painted on top looks "the way it should be" to me.

3 months later
    #18 1 year ago

I went with paint all the interior but leave the bottom natural. I did it a bit different than my example in the poll, but looking at both styles I think it would have been a bit cleaner to mask off the corner braces as seen in the first pic...

43786d6d6854f5440550f6744d0158cf24204ae7 (resized).jpg
    20180216_183524 (resized).jpg
    I did the head as well, nice clean look..

20180216_183513 (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

Painting interferes with the smell of a vintage cabinet. If it doesn't have rotting beer,rodents or mold in it the fragrance can whisk you back in time, it needs to be formulated and bottled as cologne.
    If it needs painting I like the concept of painting inner sides the color of the outside and leaving the board natural, sealed with a flat varnish.

#20 1 year ago

I prefer to fully paint the cabinets I restore. I like how it looks and I also like how easy it is to clean.
    -Jay

#21 1 year ago

rattle cans on this or a sprayer? which rattle can color matches the best? Flat, gloss, etc. ?

#22 1 year ago

rattle cans anybody?

#23 1 year ago

I use rattle cans on my restorations and it looks great. I prefer satin finish, it looks like the factory finish when done.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I like to keep it looking original.
    While full or partial painting of the interior of the cabinet can look slick, it's not necessary, which is probably why it was never painted at the factory.
    But, restorers seem to like doing it. Although the tape line example looks goofy to me--I'd say either just spray it with no tape line or do the whole cab wall. The tape line seems to be an in-between approach.

Cost cutting like most product on a factory line. Save a few minutes on the production line having to paint the full cabinet instead of just giving it some overspray and moving on the next unit. It all adds up over a few thousand pieces at the time.

These days from a restorer's perspective, nothing wrong with putting in a bit of extra effort to make it look like an actual finished piece with some pride of workmanship behind the end product.

Besides which nearly all buyers of used pins these days pop the bonnet (hood) as a matter of course during presale inspection and nothing is going to show lack of attention to detail than an inner cabinet base covered in 25 year old dirt and badly sprayed sides.

#25 1 year ago

I like the painted look. Did this on my F-14 custom restore. It’s not original, but that’s not what I was going for either.

4E6C9E0C-5E27-45AF-9FB0-EE0AE6E68CAA (resized).jpeg

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

rattle cans anybody?

This was single stage automotive paint sprayed with a HVLP gun. Paint was Dupli-color jet black.

#27 1 year ago

One can never go wrong when this much attention to detail is clearly evident.
    Remember these things were originally manufactured as fast as possible to maximize profits, attention to detail was NON EXISTANT.

I commend you sir, few people in this day and age are detail oriented, too much of this " That's good enough" crap mentality.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Whats the favorite finish style for painting the inside of a brand new cab...

Don't care really but as long as you're painting it just do the whole thing I say.

#29 1 year ago

Sides get painted and bottom is natural gets sanded and clear the whole cabinet

#30 1 year ago

Man, I sure like the look of that all black interior Transporter. I am getting ready to strip my cab on my FT any day, so looking for ideas also

1 week later
    #31 1 year ago

so rustoleum satin should be a good match for factory sides

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

That is what I use on my restorations.

20170322_004821 (resized).jpg

20170322_004810 (resized).jpg

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Satin or semi gloss. Just stay away from gloss.

#34 1 year ago

Glossed mine,
    Oh well, live and learn. Maybe I should drink spotted cow! lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside