(Topic ID: 254246)

How do you keep your passwords

By oldschoolbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I used to use the same password for all my accounts. (Amazon, Ebay, Gmail, etc.) That made life easy. A few months ago my Ebay account was hacked so I went out and changed my user name and password on everything. Now I have these pieces of paper all over my desk with lists of names and passwords. I prefer to keep things electronically but I don't want to have that list on my computer.

How do you keep your usernames and passwords?

Bob

#2 4 years ago

Lastpass.

www.lastpass.com

Generate and save a random password for every site.

#3 4 years ago

I use KeePass, open source and free. I’ve used it for years without any problems.

It can generate passwords based on the parameters you choose. Your passwords are organized by financial, medical and website groups, etc.

https://keepass.info/

One password to rule them all - just don’t forget your master password.

Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I prefer to keep things electronically but I don't want to have that list on my computer.

You can keep your passwords in the cloud, but I wouldn't want my passwords there.

Re: LastPass and some other password managers: You have to log in to LastPass which means they have your passwords on their servers. Again, I wouldn't want my passwords on someone else's server. If LastPass goes down, you won't have access to your passwords until their service is restored. It does happen and, according to Murphy's Law, always at the wrong time:

https://twitter.com/lastpassstatus?lang=en

Some people like this option because it's convenient and there is a free version, but it's not for me.

You can keep your password manager files on a removable USB flash drive. This solves your problem of not wanting the passwords on your computer, but the database is more easily corrupted. Flash drives are less reliable than a hard drive or SSD drive and the flash drive has to be properly ejected from the USB port before removal or data corruption can occur.

You can keep your passwords on a tablet or smart phone, but these can be lost or broken. And you will need to be able to backup your data which isn't always simple on a mobile device.

I have KeePass on my home personal computer and back up the KeePass folder to a flash drive. It's simple and easy. If you store your passwords on your PC, you will need to keep your anti-virus up to date.

Wherever you decide to keep your passwords, routinely make a backup!!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I use KeePass, open source and free. I’ve used it for years without any problems.

Excellent choice.

#5 4 years ago

I've been using 1password for years. I have over 1000 individual logins and no idea what they are. Great program.

#6 4 years ago

123456, never been hacked

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

123456, never been hacked

Best secrets have to been kept.

#8 4 years ago

Dashlane

#9 4 years ago

I use a phrase that I like, use the first letter in each word, and sub out any Es, Is, Ts, Hs, and Ss, with 3s, 1s, 7s, 4s, and 5s. Then I put a colon at the end of it, and the websites first 3 lower-case letters after it to make it authentic to each site. So I don't need to remember anything. It's the "same" password for each site... but it's different.

EXAMPLE:

A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned ==> AP51AP3

So a password for hulu would be: AP51AP3:hul

All my passwords are unique that way, and I don't need to struggle to remember them.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

It's the "same" password for each site... but it's different.

Your method is very common and not secure. Anyone that hacks or operates some random site and sees your password, can deduce all your passwords. (pinXYZ at pinside, so lets try boaXYZ at Bank of America, etc)

Scraps of paper at home are handy, but when your phone freaks out on a trip and you need your 'store' password to restore it, those papers at home are no help, and imagine how much fun it is on a trip with no phone. (no contacts, GPS, reservations, email, notes, e-tickets, etc)

Cloud stored encrypted password manager like those mentioned above are the correct answer. Secure and available from anywhere.

#11 4 years ago

SafeInCloud Password Manager. Caches a local copy for offline access and syncs with the online storage provider of your choice (Drive, Dropbox, etc) and works across all your devices. Autofill browser extensions for Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. Biometric Login support, password generator, customizable organization and each account is fully customizable as well. Easily the best I've used. Costs one-time $5 for a single iOS or Android License or $8 for a family license (5 phones). Mac/Windows version is free.

#12 4 years ago

I prefer to keep all my passwords on a russian server that is monitored by the nsa.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-keep-your-passwords and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.