(Topic ID: 215833)

How do you keep your parts organized?

By Hi-Fi

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180502_105548 (resized).jpg
    DSC00531 (resized).JPG
    tools (resized).JPG
    DSC00530 (resized).JPG
    DSC00529 (resized).JPG
    0502180950 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180430_193508_077 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0909 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0908 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0907 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0906 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8097 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8096 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Pinball machines always break so we always need to have spare parts laying around. After being in this hobby a few years I have realized that I never developed a good system to oraganize my parts. They are strewn about randomly in drawers or stashed in games.

I need to get my hot mess organized and I’m looking for organizational ideas.

Let’s see some pics of how you keep your parts and tools organized!

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Bins, drawers, and boxes.

Basically separated into cabinet parts, backbox parts, and playfield parts. Then assemblies are grouped together, like flipper mechs, stand up targets, drop targets, ball shooter parts, chime parts, electrical (fuse holders, battery holders, EMI filters), etc.

Then I have bins of smaller parts, such as resistors, caps, connectors/pins/header pins, fuses, and LEDs.

And drawers for various components, such as chips, transistors, diodes, etc.

I also try not to store stuff more than 1 layer deep (although sometimes it's 2 layers deep). Otherwise, if it's not visible and you have boxes and parts hiding behind other boxes & parts, you can eventually forget that you have something.

#3 5 years ago

A dozen storage containers

DSCN2059 (resized).JPGDSCN2059 (resized).JPG

DSCN2060 (resized).JPGDSCN2060 (resized).JPG

DSCN2062 (resized).JPGDSCN2062 (resized).JPG

DSCN2061 (resized).JPGDSCN2061 (resized).JPG

DSCN2065 (resized).JPGDSCN2065 (resized).JPG

DSCN2063 (resized).JPGDSCN2063 (resized).JPG

DSCN2066 (resized).JPGDSCN2066 (resized).JPG

DSCN2064 (resized).JPGDSCN2064 (resized).JPG

#4 5 years ago

collecting spare parts is one of the (expensive) joys of pinball. It satisfies that tinkerer in us and it’s nice when you need a part and you know you have it “in stock”. I use a combination of toolboxes, binboxes (like pictured above) and cardboard boxes (many of them from pinball part orders). I use a lot of clear plastic bags in the boxes. I’ve found that the binboxes tend to take up a lot space and it’s hard to fill them optimally - partly because spare parts come in such a large spectrum of shapes and sizes. If I have to rumage through a box for 30 seconds longer to find something, it seems like a small price to pay for saving space. I even tried making a database including the part numbers for ordering at my favorite stores, but that didn’t last long.

#5 5 years ago

Poorly! Very, very poorly.

#6 5 years ago

A couple of older storage bin photos:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 5 years ago

Parts drawers from when the local Radio Shack went out of business. And a big metal cabinet for bulkier items.

IMG_8096 (resized).JPGIMG_8096 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8097 (resized).JPGIMG_8097 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8098 (resized).JPGIMG_8098 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

Dang! That was a good idea to grab those cabinets from Radio Shack. Nice!

#9 5 years ago

These are the mobile pictures. I have another roll cab, and shelving behind me with parts boxes.

LTG : )

IMG_0906 (resized).JPGIMG_0906 (resized).JPG

IMG_0907 (resized).JPGIMG_0907 (resized).JPG

IMG_0908 (resized).JPGIMG_0908 (resized).JPG

IMG_0909 (resized).JPGIMG_0909 (resized).JPG

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

A dozen storage containers

I've had good luck with those labels sticking to the front of the handles.

You'll need to scrape the flashing off the handle first, but it is very easy to do with a razor blade.

I'll post pics of mine when I get a chance.

Also, I started a post a while back regarding the Harbor Freight bins. Can you post more pics in that post?

#11 5 years ago

I find Art Bin brand organizers from the crafting store work way better than organizers from the hardware store

IMG_20180430_193508_077 (resized).jpgIMG_20180430_193508_077 (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago

Yeah this is something I struggle with a lot keeping everything organized. Following this thread.

#13 5 years ago

by spreadsheet

this way, no matter where the parts actually are, I know what's where. I simply label the box that I dump the parts into and when I catalog the entry, I'll add as much information that I can (part no., alternate part no., quantity, box no., free form notes section for any comments including complimentary parts, if the the part in question is part of an assembly, the assembly part no. [to search on and quickly find all parts associated with that assembly]

it may seem anal retentive, but when I need to find something, I'm not left scratching my head where it's located

#14 5 years ago

LTG for the win! LOL
    https://www.grainger.com/product/3FRA9?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916774117!!!g!263587098415!&ef_id=WumzqgAABEFp3GLx:20180502133452:s
    This is my roll around and will hold 6 of the smaller Stanley storage bins in the bottom. Which of course 2 for leds, 1 for flipper and pop rebuilds, 1 for leaf switches and stacks.
    And seeing tomdrum's pic now I remember I need ,more ground braid
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-020800R-FatMax-Mobile-Station/dp/B000V29B7K
    This one had better pics!

#15 5 years ago

I will follow. Its always good to learn about some storage ideas!

#16 5 years ago

I use drawer bins on the wall in the workshop.

0502180950 (resized).jpg0502180950 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

I have a bare minimum of parts. Almost nothing. When something breaks, I order or get it.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I have another roll cab, and shelving behind me with parts boxes.

Here is my little tech support area. The shelving and roll cab contain seldom used parts and tools. The tech support essentials in the showcase. The portable tool carrier a recent addition for taking tools and parts with to shows.

LTG : )

DSC00529 (resized).JPGDSC00529 (resized).JPG

DSC00530 (resized).JPGDSC00530 (resized).JPG

tools (resized).JPGtools (resized).JPG

DSC00531 (resized).JPGDSC00531 (resized).JPG

#19 5 years ago

Organized? What's that?

I keep my parts at Marco or Pinball life. They organize them until I need them.

#20 5 years ago

Bin case rack in the shop, note the smaller portable cases in the top right. I require around five racks for common parts. Tools are separate.

20180502_105548 (resized).jpg20180502_105548 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-keep-your-parts-organized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.