3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tomtest
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Boxes_(resized).jpg
    Desk_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Curious if anyone has good methods for this. I used to have two parts boxes that I'd throw stuff in in a roughly categorical sense (flipper parts in these holes, lights in these), but as I start to accrue a larger variety of parts, often in weird shapes and sizes, this doesn't really work. Plus I've now got several hundred dollars of random electronic components that are also now outgrowing my original deck of drawers .. My thought for the electronics was just to not sort them out, and instead leave them in the original shipping box with the invoice; write the dates on the outsides of the boxes, and then just search my order history when I need to find a part, but pinball parts aren't as easily searchable... And then I've just got this large box of used, but 'reusable in an emergency' parts that I rifle through sometimes. And you've got to take into account which parts you want to be able to bring with you if you go to work on someone's machine. Is there some good software for keeping track of quantities or anything like that? What's your strategy?

#2 3 years ago

I toss all parts into a box located in a messy storage room

Then I reorder what I already have when I need it since I can't find it

#3 3 years ago

I have new parts are organized in drawers according to what they go to (pop bumper assemblies, flipper assemblies, switches, etc)

Used parts go into boxes that are labeled according to game system (gottlieb system 1, gottlieb system 80, classic bally/stern, etc). Electronics are in their own separate boxes labeled by game system as well. Each board is in an anti static bag and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Game specific stuff get puts into its own box labeled with the name of the game.

Parts that I've replaced that aren't broken, but am unlikely to use because of cosmetic isssues, get tossed in their own box as an "emergency stash" to use as a temporary replacement just in case I don't have a new part on hand in case something breaks.

Small parts, like connectors, pins, resistors, caps, fuses, mostly go into sectioned parts orgainizers.

But...I'm always organizing and resorting things depending in what's coming in, what's going out, how to use the space I have as most effectively as possible, and what helps makes things easier to find.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I toss all parts into a box located in a messy storage room
    Then I reorder what I already have when I need it since I can't find it

Exactly what I do. Great minds think alike

#5 3 years ago

By type and commonality.

Common everyday parts stay "on the rack".
    Excess common are placed in bulk containers under machines.
    Game specific parts stay "in the boxes".
    Electronics and associated ICs should be separated from all other common parts to prevent damage and oxidation in closed air sealed containers, not bins.
    Fuses should be in their own "flying fishing" container.

Same organizational method applies for tools.
    Most don't need oscilloscopes on a daily basis.

If you keep having to reorder things that you cannot find, then you need to upgrade your storage facility methods.
    Bins, tupperware containers, masking tape, and black sharpies are a fairly inexpensive option.
    This precludes the need for some "giant warehouse shop" to do work.

Desk_(resized).jpg
    Boxes_(resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

For game specific items, especially paper work and receipts, instead of boxes I started looking for old suitcases and briefcases at the thrift stores. They are easy to label, have handles and latches.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

By type and commonality.
    Common everyday parts stay "on the rack".
    Excess common are placed in bulk containers under machines.
    Game specific parts stay "in the boxes".
    Electronics and associated ICs should be separated from all other common parts to prevent damage and oxidation in closed air sealed containers, not bins.
    Fuses should be in their own "flying fishing" container.
    Same organizational method applies for tools.
    Most don't need oscilloscopes on a daily basis.
    If you keep having to reorder things that you cannot find, then you need to upgrade your storage facility methods.
    Bins, tupperware containers, masking tape, and black sharpies are a fairly inexpensive option.
    This precludes the need for some "giant warehouse shop" to do work.

Flying Fishing?

Sounds like my kind of fishing!

#8 3 years ago

I have some parts drawer from Canadian Tire. I group parts and label the drawers. Then I leave everything ordered for the next 9 months in a messy pile. Then I again group parts and label drawers. Occasionally I'll amalgamate things into 1 drawer, eg diodes or chip sockets of various sizes.

#9 3 years ago

I also have a giant cardboard box full of used parts that I've replaced that can be reconditioned or reused it needed. No sorting there.

#10 3 years ago

Steve Young probably has a better idea of what/where my parts and supplies are than I do.

#11 3 years ago

Mine are in precise chronological order, they go into the big box in the order they were placed into it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.00
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 248.85

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside