(Topic ID: 328535)

How do you incorporate your games into parties?

By mbaumle

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

105EE2FC-3F81-4BEF-9AEF-5200EF25075F (resized).jpeg
    2ED73637-FCAE-41A1-BC86-605B2808980B.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

This past year was the first year since COVID where I was really able to host significant gatherings. I usually try to host little tournaments with scratch off prizes, but most of my friends just patronize me (in a good way) to play because they all know pinball is something I’m passionate about. 99% of the time, it’s just the kiddos that “play” the games during big gatherings, and that’s fine.

For New Years this year, I tried something a little different. A “play as you go” pingolf tournament. I gave people the rules on a sheet, and made the objectives as clear as humanly possible. Friends could go to the game room and play a single hole, or all of them, and like minigolf, they’d just post their own scores using the honor system. I’d just collect their sheets at the end and gave the winner a lottery ticket and little homemade trophy.

It worked really well! Since it wasn’t score based, there was less pressure for people, and on the whole, it was really well received! Things I would do differently: make the objectives even easier.

How do you guys incorporate your games into parties? Any tips or fun ways to get people involved? I’d love to hear them!

2ED73637-FCAE-41A1-BC86-605B2808980B.jpeg2ED73637-FCAE-41A1-BC86-605B2808980B.jpeg
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Everyone knows how much I enjoy pinball, but most would just be playing to make me happy if I did something like this.

This is more or less how I feel. I do have some friends who genuinely look forward to the games, but on the whole, most don’t care. The pingolf structure this year was an optional thing. Had the stack of paper rules and score cards with a little cup full of pencils. If people chose to play, they could. Most didn’t, and again, it was fine.

#14 1 year ago

All great insights. Thanks all!

One thing I’ve noticed is that simply turning the games on doesn’t incentivize playing. I think part of it is that the gameroom is completely separate from the room (read: kitchen) with the drinks and snacks.

I think if I were to have the gameroom in the same room as the snack table, things would change.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-incorporate-your-games-into-parties?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.