(Topic ID: 65843)

how do you guys manage to buy parts when.....

By revmex

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by radium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stacks-money-1447389.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from revmex:

im waiting for Great Plains to restock Product ID: 350011-1 Crimp Contact, 0.156". they're 18 cents.
    Digi-Key has them for 82 cents and in stock.
    I can see how someone can get restless and give in on the higher price due to lack of patience.
    Restoring is not bad but I didn't know pinball requires all sorts of little parts that you can easily overpay if you're not patient.
    -Rev

I don't normally carry AMP (Tyco) parts but do have a few exceptions. I order connectors once a month - and every time I check for these contacts, there's never seems to be stock available at my normal source and hasn't been for quite awhile. One of these days....

It's really getting tough stocking electronic components for pins anymore. SGS Thompson (ST) has recently discontinued ALL DIP style logic IC's and ALL metal can IC's and transistors. That includes tons of 7400 series, 4000 series IC's, 2N3440, 2N3055, 2N6284's and many more. Plus these discontinued parts include all TO-3 voltage regulators - say goodbuy to affordable LM323K's.
    National Semi already dumped all their logic and transistors before getting gobbled up by Texas Instruments.
    Fairchild has also dumped ALL DIP style logic IC's earlier this year. Now On-Semiconductor is doing the same by dumping ALL DIP style logic IC's as well. Within a couple months - there will only be Texas Instruments making DIP style logic components. Last time this happened - common IC's such as 7404's went from a 5cents each to well over a buck apiece and still rising.

And you should see what the high price of aluminum is doing to electrolytic capacitor costs...
    ... and don't get me started on the Chinese counterfeit parts that are flooding the market!

DOOOOOOM! GLOOOOOOM!
    Ed

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-guys-manage-to-buy-parts-when?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.