(Topic ID: 300991)

How do you guys decide to buy before playing?

By rai

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Aeolus7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I’ll admit to buying several games before playing. Most I’ve got to play on location or at pin shows or friends houses before I buy, it’s a major purchase and I don’t like buying something that might not love especially at today’s prices.

Here’s what I’ve bought without playing

XMLE only had seen the reveal pictures and promo video.

Tron it was out for a while so got to read reviews and gameplay videos.

TNA pictures and gameplay tutorials.

R&M only pictures and promo video.

Godzilla LE pictures and livestream.

A lot, A lot of times I’ll want a pin and will get to play it and think thank god I didn’t buy it. Not saying I hate them but GnR, LZ, Mando, AIQ to name a few that I really would never buy but at one time I was seriously considering.

Of the pins I bought without playing. XMLE didn’t love it was ok but not great. Tron (love) R&M and TNA (love).

#4 2 years ago

Because I got in on a LE with Godzilla that’s something that I’m buying first rather than play on location to decide which is my usual method.

For me the theme is great, the art is ok, but I guess I’m really putting my faith in Keith who can really design pins and rules that are interesting and deep.

I watched DeadFlip video and it looks fun but really unsure for me because I don’t really know the shots feel and the code is likely not polished.

#10 2 years ago

I usually don’t care about premium or LE. Like I waited and got SW comic premium (which I prefer the art over the LE). Got JP premium and think that I prefer the raptor art over the LE.

On Godzilla tho, I really prefer the LE art with different art on both cabinet sides. I believe the pro and premium both repeat art on both sides. It’s not the only reason I got the LE but one reason why.

I’m not really sure what the rules are on Godzilla. I mean I read on TWIP but it was really not much detail. I didn’t study the livestream but seems like there are battle modes that I do like one was something like need to countdown certain number of spins on the three spinners.

I really love JP and Maiden rules. I’m not sure about AIQ rules but they seem on the deep / complex side which I’m more into now. So hopefully Godzilla will follow those games in the rules code department.

#21 2 years ago

P

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I've bought quite a few sterns before playing, I feel comfortable with their games and quality. I ordered halloween ce, but after seeing the stream it didn't interest me anymore so I got a refund from nitro and they sold it same day. So nitro and I both came out ok.

I was interested in Halloween or Ultraman but didn’t see enough from the short promo video.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s always the option to travel to somewhere that has the game. No ideal sure, but you have options.

I used to live where there was very little pinball. Before I knew a lot of locals. I was in California on vacation and drove a good way out of the way to play Woz. Also same trip another location played Iron Man, ACDC and Metallica among others.

I’ve since played dozens of new pins but I still remember those two vacation excursions while my wife waited in the car reading (she could care less about pinball).

At the time I had Woz on order but couldn’t get into the game one bit. Didn’t know the rules and the location was poorly set up, I ended up canceling Woz at the time. Wasn’t for another year or two of playing Woz on location and at friends before I warmed up and bought mine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-guys-decide-to-buy-before-playing-?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.