(Topic ID: 300991)

How do you guys decide to buy before playing?

By rai

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Aeolus7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I’ll admit to buying several games before playing. Most I’ve got to play on location or at pin shows or friends houses before I buy, it’s a major purchase and I don’t like buying something that might not love especially at today’s prices.

Here’s what I’ve bought without playing

XMLE only had seen the reveal pictures and promo video.

Tron it was out for a while so got to read reviews and gameplay videos.

TNA pictures and gameplay tutorials.

R&M only pictures and promo video.

Godzilla LE pictures and livestream.

A lot, A lot of times I’ll want a pin and will get to play it and think thank god I didn’t buy it. Not saying I hate them but GnR, LZ, Mando, AIQ to name a few that I really would never buy but at one time I was seriously considering.

Of the pins I bought without playing. XMLE didn’t love it was ok but not great. Tron (love) R&M and TNA (love).

#2 2 years ago

YOLO

For DMD games I use my virtual pinball set up to get a feel for things before buying

New sterns I go by reviews/feedback/my gut

At the end of the day I can always sell so I don’t stress about it much

#3 2 years ago

i've got more money than i can spend in 5 lifetimes. I'd buy everyone on here a pin but I dont have your addresses to send them to.

Inbox will explode in 3.....2......1......................

#4 2 years ago

Because I got in on a LE with Godzilla that’s something that I’m buying first rather than play on location to decide which is my usual method.

For me the theme is great, the art is ok, but I guess I’m really putting my faith in Keith who can really design pins and rules that are interesting and deep.

I watched DeadFlip video and it looks fun but really unsure for me because I don’t really know the shots feel and the code is likely not polished.

#5 2 years ago

if I can't play it first, I don't buy it. this is why I never have a Stern LE.

#6 2 years ago

Unfortunately this day and age, if you want an LE NIB and you like the theme, you just close your eyes and click buy

You dont like it, dont worry , just list it on pinside.

#7 2 years ago

I look at the designer, coder and theme. I also check out the lay out and see what kind of modes it has.

I have basically bought all my games without playing them.

There were some games like monster bash, I wanted but played it and it was not for me.

I have got pretty lucky in my choices but I haven’t really got caught up in the recent LE hype train. It seems for every decent release there is a stranger things.

Going forward I will just wait things out and if a pin is truly amazing I will just pay the premium of waiting down the road.

I also don’t mind premiums compared LEs

#8 2 years ago

The only game I've bought that I hadn't played was R&M. I don't live in a pinball metropolis so I don't want to deal with having to unload a game I don't like. It make me much pickier and set in my decision. I'm not a 'rotate' in and out person either so I want to know I'll be happy with what I have.

I don't care if a game is NiB or not. I have no problem buying used, in fact I'd actually prefer it but hard to get used games around here too these days with prices going up before they even ship.

#9 2 years ago

Mostly all my pins have been gut.

Not regretted any of them.. only letting them go. A couple - TAF, DH, CFTBL, LOTR I had a couple of times.

Wonka CE has made way for Godzilla LE..

Will see if that is the right choice!

#10 2 years ago

I usually don’t care about premium or LE. Like I waited and got SW comic premium (which I prefer the art over the LE). Got JP premium and think that I prefer the raptor art over the LE.

On Godzilla tho, I really prefer the LE art with different art on both cabinet sides. I believe the pro and premium both repeat art on both sides. It’s not the only reason I got the LE but one reason why.

I’m not really sure what the rules are on Godzilla. I mean I read on TWIP but it was really not much detail. I didn’t study the livestream but seems like there are battle modes that I do like one was something like need to countdown certain number of spins on the three spinners.

I really love JP and Maiden rules. I’m not sure about AIQ rules but they seem on the deep / complex side which I’m more into now. So hopefully Godzilla will follow those games in the rules code department.

#11 2 years ago

I have played every game before buying and would not normally break this rule except for certain circumstances. Only broke it once and that was for Kiss LE but I am a huge Kiss fan so it was a must have.
    I don’t advise buying sight unseen if you have a small collection and limited budget. But if there is something special you connect with as a theme I wouldn’t tell anyone not to get it.
    A lot of people buy in advance on theme and have the money to take the risk. Then there are the flippers that buy on speculation they can flip it for profit. But it’s crazy when people say it’s a dream theme and they don’t even collect memorabilia of that theme…..it’s a theme you like at that point. Lately every theme has been a “dream theme” for some. I feel it’s mostly FOMO and people with money that can buy them as they don’t want to miss out on a hit that appreciates- Like JJP POTC….who wouldn’t spend 10-12K to sell it for 20-30K.

This is pinball and meant to be fun….too much stress worrying about missing out on a game so I don’t worry about being the first on the block to have the next shiny new toy. If I want something I will pick one up down the road.

#12 2 years ago

I’ve never once done this unless it was a game that was free or basically free. Okay before buying. And before you say it’s not possible, it always is.

If you’re buying an LE or want one, okay the pro first and see if you like the game. Then get the LE. If that’s not possible. Pass on the LE and pick one up later if you really want it.

#13 2 years ago

I always play before buying.

Having said that, I feel that if you know what your style of pins are, and you are able to watch gameplay, read reviews, and read about the rules...you can pretty much know if you will like it or not.

At the end of the day you could always sell it trade it down the line too.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

i've got more money than i can spend in 5 lifetimes. I'd buy everyone on here a pin but I dont have your addresses to send them to.
    Inbox will explode in 3.....2......1......................

I'll just drop by and grab one you have in stock

#15 2 years ago

I've bought a lot of games without playing. Only time I really regretted it was on RZ. For me almost any game is fun for a while, and you don't loose much selling stuff in the current market. With Sterns and JJP it is hard to go wrong, and recently with LE or CE models you pretty much missed the boat(at least for NIB at MSRP) if you want to wait until you play it.

#16 2 years ago

I have bought games BECAUSE I had never played them. Sometimes it’s the only way to try out a game you are interested in. 8 of the 25ish pins I’ve rotated through my basement have been pins I’d never played before. None (excepting Rick and Morty) were NIB. I have had good luck at buying pins, playing them a few months, fixing them up a bit, and then selling them at or for a little more than I paid for them so there is very little risk in it for me. I am lucky and live in a heavy pinball area.

I have been slowly accepting favorable trades regardless of liking the title for the last year on one pin, and am about to pick up another pin I’ve never played before with the proceeds… Indiana Jones. If I hate it, I can use it as trade bait for whatever I want so what is the risk?

Games I bought without playing first and reasoning for buying them below:

Jurassic Park (Data East)- It looked so cool! The Dinosaur Eats the ball… love the theme! No local examples to play.
    ST:TNG- Dream theme by favorite designer. No local examples to play.
    Champion Pub- Looked cool. No local examples… Hated it.
    Hobbit- Looked amazing, sounded amazing, no local examples to play. I hated this pin, but made a good trade on its way out.
    Last Action Hero- No local examples to play, got in package deal at discount with ST:TNG. Great fun and highly recommended. It’s loaded and a great bang for the buck.
    White Water- Looked really cool, no local examples to play. Got a fixer upper (TNT bargain basement example)
    Whirlwind- Hadn’t played it since the early 90s. Great game by a safe designer. No local examples.
    Taxi- Great game by a safe designer. No local examples. Was offered this and High Speed in a favorable trade.
    Black Knight: Looked cool. Favorite Designer. No local examples to play.
    Dredd: Hadn’t played since the 90s. Was offered in a favorable trade. Hated it, but got money back out of it.
    Robocop: Got it in a package deal. Freaking awesome game I hated to see go. No local examples
    El Dorado: To be fair I had played the 4 player Solar city version of this. Fun game, but just not an E.M. guy.

Out of all this the only games I ever got in a trade or bought blind that I hated were Hobbit, Champion Pub, and Judge Dredd. Got my money back or more out of all of them.

#17 2 years ago

I've bought quite a few sterns before playing, I feel comfortable with their games and quality. I ordered halloween ce, but after seeing the stream it didn't interest me anymore so I got a refund from nitro and they sold it same day. So nitro and I both came out ok.

#18 2 years ago

It is super easy in this day and age to sell quickly, so it’s much less risky to buy without a test drive than it once was.

That being said, I personally never buy without playing because I really don’t enjoy the process of selling at all. Selling in order to make room for a new game has an obvious built-in reward in the end and is worth the hassle, but selling in order to mitigate disappointment resulting from a lack of due diligence before buying is really no fun at all!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'd buy everyone on here a pin but I dont have your addresses to send them to.

Liar. =P

I'm willing to believe the 5 lifetimes part, as I'm sure there's several people on here like that....but not this.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I've bought quite a few sterns before playing, I feel comfortable with their games and quality. I ordered halloween ce, but after seeing the stream it didn't interest me anymore so I got a refund from nitro and they sold it same day. So nitro and I both came out ok.

What kind of hobbyist are you? You're supposed to list your pre order spot,after adding on a 2,000 profit for your troubles. Maybe your DNA is lacking in the GREED gene?

#21 2 years ago

P

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I was interested in Halloween or Ultraman but didn’t see enough from the short promo video.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

What kind of hobbyist are you? You're supposed to list your pre order spot,after adding on a 2,000 profit for your troubles. Maybe your DNA is lacking in the GREED gene?

Well, it cost me $100 fee to return Halloween. So happy to pay that to get out. I hope it is great for those who want it. I've never bought with intent to flip, only themes that I really like.

#23 2 years ago

I can buy used (never buy NIB) without playing if the price is good. Then I know I can play it fora while and if I don't enjoy it, I can sell and at least break even and have played it for free.

Trading a game for something I've never played, I'm a bit more cautious. Had no problem make a trade for AIQ or JP because they were overwhelming positively reviewed and they seemed like my style of game.

But recently was offered a Hot Wheels in a trade and I couldn't pull the trigger. That is exactly the type of game I need to play a bit first before deciding.

So for me, just a case by case basis.

#24 2 years ago

I love buying games before playing them. It's the best. Explore and learn the game on my own. I don't even watch streams of the game first. Just like the old days of walking into an arcade and seeing a brand new game.

If I hate it, I can just sell it for close to what I paid so no big deal.

It's just way more fun and exciting this way for me.

#25 2 years ago

Theme. Manufacturer. Then Designer. Then Lead Software. Most importantly current bank account balance. Ironically too much gameplay video before I play it myself can ruin it, rather discover some of it myself.

#26 2 years ago

Most of my collection I bought before playing. It’s like an arranged marriage. You just make it work.

#27 2 years ago

Is it new? Buy buy buy!

#28 2 years ago

90% played first - then bought
    8% never played - then bought
    2% played & hated - but bought because of peer pressure "What do you mean you hate it? It's totally awesome! You'll miss out yada yada !"

Side note: In the end, I've sold everyone of the 2%, but to this day I continue to buy hated games...

#30 2 years ago

Theme, designer, playfield, art. I am a Godzilla nut. Had to have it.

#31 2 years ago

Isn't much risk on pro/prem...well before this newest price hike anyway.
    LE i don't care about and wouldn't buy

#32 2 years ago

I bought Aerosmith without playing. The LCD, toy box, and art sold me. Got a good deal through a show.. Bought Mandelorian on theme, art, designer and playfield layout. Bought Godzilla on theme, designer, playfield layout, assets, music, sounds, call outs. Bought Special Forces on theme, price and layout. Bought Pinball Pool on price, art, layout. Bought Dragon on price and art. Bought Middle Earth on price, art, and layout. Bought Caribbean Cruise on deal and reputation. Bought Sunset on deal. I was going to buy a Guardians on theme, happened upon one before pulling the trigger and would not have been happy, but many people are happy with it. Knock on wood, every machine I have bought before getting a chance to play, I have liked. I hope Godzilla shoots well for me.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Isn't much risk on pro/prem...well before this newest price hike anyway.
    LE i don't care about and wouldn't buy

But if its a theme you really want then why not buy the best for 1500 more? I never really think of resale when I buy because its a hobby, not an income producing biz. So the added features in an le, for this theme , to me , made it easy to get an le. Now, just gotta convince my wife that this logic is right !!

#34 2 years ago

To like a pin I need....
    A dark room
    The volume cranked way up
    No other pins being played.

That's the only way I find out for sure if I'll enjoy the machine.

Turn on the lights, volume low, people in line behind me....not so much.

So basically I research what others are saying, and buy what I think will be exciting and hope for the best.

#35 2 years ago

I generally don't, but I have a few times:

Transformers: It was a "dream theme", designed by Gomez, it was hyped up as having a "transforming playfield". Even though I played it a ton while I had it, it was ultimately a letdown & sold.

X-Men LE: We were all on a "Borg high" from Tron, there was no Premium, hand drawn art was awesome....what could go wrong? Everything. SOLD.

Metallica LE: Still had faith in Borg with Lyman attached, art was awesome, love the band...what could go wrong? Not much, really. Early code was missing a lot, but it was still a ton of fun -and once Lyman got done with it, it was a masterpiece. Still have it.

Goatf***ers: Dream theme + Yeti = instant sale. Thankfully I played it before it shipped (not to mention insert-gate)...cancelled & got refund before it shipped.

Rick & Morty: I love everything about TNA & what Scott Danesi brings to the table, and I love the show. Boom, ordered without playing. I got my R&M last year, and it's been my go-to game. Love everything about it. I know many units needed a lot of tweaking - mine plays phenomenally & I've barely done anything to it. Killer game, bolted to floor.

Ultraman: Sticking with my newfound Spooky love & love for Japanese pop-culture and campiness...took the plunge. Like GB, I have played it before delivery...unlike GB, I'm hanging in there. Code is early, but it's gorgeous & plays nice...potential is there for code to make it great.

Godzilla LE: I'm officially in the Cult of Elwin. I love JP Prem, I'm buying a AIQ this weekend...everything about Godzilla looks amazing to me...I'm in.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

But if its a theme you really want then why not buy the best for 1500 more?...

Because I don't see the LE as "the best."

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Because I don't see the LE as "the best."

Ok

#38 2 years ago

If you live where there is very little location play, it may be the only option.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

If you live where there is very little location play, it may be the only option.

There’s always the option to travel to somewhere that has the game. No ideal sure, but you have options.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s always the option to travel to somewhere that has the game. No ideal sure, but you have options.

I used to live where there was very little pinball. Before I knew a lot of locals. I was in California on vacation and drove a good way out of the way to play Woz. Also same trip another location played Iron Man, ACDC and Metallica among others.

I’ve since played dozens of new pins but I still remember those two vacation excursions while my wife waited in the car reading (she could care less about pinball).

At the time I had Woz on order but couldn’t get into the game one bit. Didn’t know the rules and the location was poorly set up, I ended up canceling Woz at the time. Wasn’t for another year or two of playing Woz on location and at friends before I warmed up and bought mine.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I live in Alaska, so not always feasible.

#42 2 years ago

It's strange, but I actually have no problem doing this. I like discovering for the first time and it enhances the honeymoon phase for me. Because I have a small collection, even my favorite games get old eventually and end up on the chopping block. When I realized no game needs to be forever, I got over trying to pick the "perfect" one that will never leave. Oddly enough, I'm still very selective about what titles I bring (read lots of reviews, watch gameplay, consider theme carefully).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-guys-decide-to-buy-before-playing-?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.