Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Wyopinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1196 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20170319-105041 (resized).png
    plasma (resized).jpeg
    cob.jpg
    dealer (resized).jpg
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

I was suppose to be in Florida by now but several things outside of my control forced me to cancel that trip for now. Anyway - after sitting here reading several other post like "What do you do for a living" I thought it might be interesting to hear how people get or set aside money for machines. When my son & I started in the hobby we decided to "fund" or collection by buying broken machines - fixing them - then keeping the ones we wanted and flipping the others at a small profit to help fund the collection. After about 8 years of doing this out collection is basically FREE.

I know this is not an original idea (by any stretch) but what I love about doing things that way is no matter what happens with the pinball market we are OK because our machines are basically free (except for hundreds of hours invested in buying-fixing-and selling other machines). The biggest down side to this method is you do tend to burn out on the hobby by the time you have your machines paid for if you are building a decent size collection.

Anyway - I thought it might be interesting to see if some of you have other unique methods for funding your collections? So if you care to share I would love to hear some of the interesting things other people do to come up with extra cash for machines. I know most "normal" people just have their good job and buy what they want from their paycheck money. But how about the other guys like me that are far from normal?

#2 7 years ago

I sell my sperm.

#3 7 years ago

I take a ridiculously priced machine on CL and tell my wife I'm thinking about buying it and then decide it's too expensive and let her know that I just saved money by passing up the purchase for a cheaper one.

Technically, it's not how I make the money, as I do that by the sweat of my brow.... but it is how I fund it.

#4 7 years ago

I'm retired, so I have to sell a pin to buy a different one

#5 7 years ago

Kept my pickup truck an extra 8 years after paying it off. Just bought a new one so my pinball funds are limited for about 5 years.

#6 7 years ago

I rob banks.....

#7 7 years ago

Who needs both kidneys anyway??

#8 7 years ago

Good question! I don't even know the answer! It just happened! But my collection consists of a few project games. I traded stuff for most of my projects. I was just telling someone this in a pm.

I started out looking for a Turtles for sentimental reasons. My brother and I played it growing up at a local shop, He was also a collector of anything TMNT. He passed in 2003, at the age of 20. My wife and I decided to look for a game years ago to restore as a kind of fun memory type thing and to display the rest of his collection with. Time went on we never bought one for whatever reason. So.....Years later...I had a son 2 years ago. So we thought..We are getting the turtles for sure now! Start looking again. To shorten this all up. I have ended up with the projects I have. haha And now am becoming very interested in anything to do with a pinball machine. Eventually I'd like to do some restorations from start to finish the right way. But money is really tight right now, so I just make things work.

What I'm getting at? There was no funding! hahaha I've traded....A winchester gun safe, a model 12, a model 1200, a ring, Two truck loads of quad parts, and a truck load of Video game collection type stuff. I've only actually bought 3 games. Now? In most cases I lose on the trade but it was all stuff that I didn't need or lost interest in.

One day? I will have the cash to go find the Elusive to me TMNT!!!!!

And if your in the GA area and post projects on C List? Yep! I'm the guy trying to trade you my stuff to get your project game!

#9 7 years ago

I work a lot of overtime.

#10 7 years ago

I sold my youngest stepdaughter to science. Now I just steal from my wife.

#11 7 years ago

I have a high-paying job.

#12 7 years ago

At a certain age money is not an issue anymore . No Kids with their hand out , no more house payment, and I have always lived at or below my means . and I collect EM's so there is always a pile of hundreds somewhere so the next one or two can join the fold
    Before when money was somewhat tight, I used to buy $50 EM's repair them and sell them to finance the next buy.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I have a high-paying job.

Want to adopt me?
    I don't eat much and I'm housebroken.

#14 7 years ago

I work my ass off, don't have any other expensive hobbies, and keep a respectable number in my savings account.

#16 7 years ago

Work work and more work. Turned cash into rental units which helped buy a drive in movie theatre and opened a new 9 screen movie theatre in same community see Cinema City Norton and Central Drive In Theatre Norton Va on Facebook.
    I worked many 16 hour days even during college and served in the Army National Guard with a honorable discharge. Purchased some pinballs placed on location and rolled that money over to purchase others machines like MK 2 and Daytona twin which made great money in the mid 1990s.
    You can purchase equipment and use it for tax advantage to help offset income.
    I still work alot, almost every weekend at the box office 2766793761 call me one night even 1am I will be there. It's how I meet Don. I also sell new and used machines thru out distribution company called Mountain Entertainment. Selling new pins and trade ins help fund new pins.

#17 7 years ago

I'm getting out of one hobby (off road toys) and now diving it ankle deep head first into pins. Just sold a dirt bike last week so I have some funds for a new pin.

#18 7 years ago

I rolled money from one hobby (my guitars) into another (pinball). Unfortunately, I'm down to two guitars.

#19 7 years ago

While being married with a mortgage and raising 4 kids drains my funds significantly, the stability and responsibility I must endure included the need for me to give up regular use of hookers and blow. I ended up with a small pittance for games I patiently get one by one when a decent deal arises.

#22 7 years ago

Blood, sweat, and a small amount of teers from work. The teers are from watching the bank acount not grow.

#23 7 years ago

I didn't take a vacation for the last two years. I took the money that I saved and reallocated it into the pinball collection.

#24 7 years ago

dealer (resized).jpgdealer (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

I think I have sold to a few customers that make a living that way but I am smart enough not to ask!

#26 7 years ago

Is there any other way?

cob.jpgcob.jpg

#27 7 years ago

work hard

#28 7 years ago

If you never get married, and never knock any broads up - you will save, on average, $280,000 per child you don't have to support to the age of 18.

Then think of the additional savings when they don't move back into the basement, as 58% of them do, after college.....

#29 7 years ago

Buy broken ones fix and sell them. Work alot of over time and I operate about 15 of them.

#30 7 years ago

I work alot of hard sh*tty hours, no house payment anymore......no car payment either or credit card debt either. Even with all of that its still hard to afford these crazy things, but I love pinball so I work hard and save my ass off and treat myself to a new pin occasionally.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I work alot of hard sh*tty hours, no house payment anymore......no car payment either or credit card debt either. Even with all of that its still hard to afford these crazy things, but I love pinball so I work hard and save my ass off and treat myself to a new pin occasionally.

Never knew there was a "Carlisle, Ohio" Same town different state!

#32 7 years ago

401k loan: it's like free money you didn't know you had.

#33 7 years ago

#35 7 years ago

I became a distributor, not just for that, but it justifies a lot... You'll find a lot of folks who do business stuff in the hobby use it as an excuse - mods, restoration guys, parts, etc... Gee, I made something doing this so time for another game !!! Addiction is a terrible thing.

#36 7 years ago

Well, i do straight trades and its worked sofar, machine for machine.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

Well, i do straight trades and its worked sofar, machine for machine.

Ok. But where did the first one come from!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Ok. But where did the first one come from!

I got my Grand Lizard pinball (which i still have) in straight trade for a Hang-On Deluxe arcade (the big red bike version) i bought like 5 years before from the local closed arcade, for around 50 USD.

After i got that oen working i bought a dead Dolly Parton for like 50 bucks (again lol), got that working, played it, traded it for a dead Volcano, got that working, played it, traded that for a half-working Cybernauts, got that to fully work, played it, traded it off for a dead Jungle Lord, then i sold my old Commodore collection and got cash to finally buy a high-end game, Swords of Fury. Then i got a dead Jubilee for free, got that working, played it, traded it away for a dead Gamatron, got a dead Dodge City as a bonus, which gets me my current set:

Dodge City, Swords of Fury, Jungle Lord, Gamatron and my Grand Lizard.

Now, Gamatron, Dodge City and Jungle Lord will prob be up for trade as soon as they are working properly.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Never knew there was a "Carlisle, Ohio" Same town different state!

Yep there sure is. If you blink your eyes you will drive right through it and miss it lol. Its just a small little town.....its actually considered a village. Theres not enough people for it to be a town.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you never get married, and never knock any broads up - you will save, on average, $280,000 per child you don't have to support to the age of 18.
    Then think of the additional savings when they don't move back into the basement, as 58% of them do, after college.....

So true! Some of my friends ask how I lead the lifestyle I do. I respond that I have:
    No kids
    No pets (only a 50 gallon fish tank)
    And Drive a 1999 Toyota

#41 7 years ago

my 'ol lady gives me a dollar for every smart ass comment i make on pinside.
    i have a biiiiig collection

#42 7 years ago

No wife. No kids. I buy what I want, when I want

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Who makes up these numbers? I have 3 kids almost teenagers and they are not that expensive. If you buy them expensive things, cars, private school, and fancy college then yeah. I've spent way more on pinball than I have on them in the past few years that's for sure.

#44 7 years ago

A combination of using extra money and then selling current collection to fund new games.

#45 7 years ago

My family owns an air conditioning and heating business. I take all the units and parts we replace to the scrap yard and that becomes my "play" money to use on whatever I want. I previously purchased, repaired and sold vintage paintball stuff.

#46 7 years ago

I've got a wife and 4 kids. All in private school by choice. No competition and no worries. I would sell it all in a heartbeat if I needed the money. So far so good!

#47 7 years ago

Work hard. When starting out I had two jobs. Bought broken games, fixed them and routed them then sold them for a better broken game. One game turned to two turned to 20... then ex issues reversed that to 0.

Today I have scraped and clawed my way to a very comfortably paying job. We have a rental and our primary house that we are nearing pay off and stay well within our means. Currently back up to 4 (two playing two projects). Once the rental and our house is paid off... gonna likely go nuts.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

$280,000 per child

That figure seems low to me. I just had to buy goalie equipment for my 9 yr old. $$$$

#49 7 years ago

I have 13 kids. none of them mine and the government pays me to take care of them.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Who makes up these numbers? I have 3 kids almost teenagers and they are not that expensive. If you buy them expensive things, cars, private school, and fancy college then yeah. I've spent way more on pinball than I have on them in the past few years that's for sure.

Really? Add it up....ALL the food, clothing, medical bills, trips, sports....etc.... Over 18 YEARS it adds up. I would bet $280,000 is a low average. No private schools or Porches either.

I'm going to feel so rich once the kids are out of college! Except for that damn retirement savings thing.........and taxes.......and medical coverage!

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-fund-your-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.