Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 147 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by L_satan
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deucebigalow.jpg
    12201743-back-to-the-future-sports-almanac-ipad-case.jpg
    341181_f520.jpg
    AMFullBand.jpg
    career.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavenBlackthorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

So...I've been reading this forum for a year or so now. And i keep asking myself...what do these people do for a living? The game rooms, the 10-1000 pin collections, the home additions. So..if you're so inclined - what do you / your significant other do to support the hobby?
    I'll start. I'm an IT Auditor, and my wife loves to play them..but not buy them unfortunately.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been drooling over some of the collections on here, and to say that some of these folks have 50 to 100k worth of machines, is a pretty conservative estimate for some of these game rooms. I laughed the other day at someones post that said "Please teach me how to be rich". I feel like I make pretty decent money but even with that I wonder how I'm going to be able to afford to assemble a "Top 20" collection--and I haven't even pulled the trigger on my first pin yet! Daily I scour Craigslist, eBay, Classifieds, the Market on here etc. trying to find that bargain but they're pretty rare. I'm amazed how some guys are able to afford it.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

Actually Law, I gotta disagree with ya there. I can buy a nice restored, non numbers matching 60's camaro for 30k ish. That's 4 MMR's, or 4 TAF and a F14. 4-6 "popular pins"..unless they came from JJP, and you have your classic car. Given the price of parts and mods for the older machines..I'd say maint for both may be close to on par unless something major were to break on the car. Same w/jet ski. 6k for a nice one. 3k for a trailer. That's what..2 machines, or one JJP WoZ?
    If you stop and think about machine cost, mods, repairs..space in the house..this hobby is fairly pricey if you want them in your house. On location..well..that's a totally different story and you have a good point there.

This is a great point. Other "toys" seem "cheap" when you compare them to the cost of some of the high end restores, or anything that's ranked highly on the Top 100 list. I've had the conversation with myself of "Do I really need a jet ski, ATV, snowmobile, classic project car that I restore" etc. etc. and have many times said "Nah. Not really." But I can't help but think "Man, I'd love to have a Monster Bash.. Sure, it needs work but it's only 8k.."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavenBlackthorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-fund-the-hobby?tu=RavenBlackthorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.