8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Xerico
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

#1 8 years ago

We've all seen for sale threads turn into a volatile wasteland. Someone looking to sell a game lists a high price and the community flips out. To avoid turning every FS thread into that, I thought we could discuss our issues regarding Price Policing here. I've got some thoughts to share and would love to hear from you guys as well. I'll try and categorize my thoughts to make it easier to follow.

SETTING THE PRICE HIGH
    Most, if not all, anger occurs when a seller sets the price high. I'll never understand this anger. It's within the sellers best interest to ask high and it's in the buyers best interest to offer low. You meet in the middle and have a deal. Too many times I see people taking a seller's asking price as a personal insult. Why? They are just trying to get the most for their game.

CONDITION VS PRICE
    I'll say this, most pinball collectors keep their pins in damn nice shape. But when it comes to a restored game, it's much harder to determine a price. For often times a restorer may have more into a pin than it should be worth and they will try and get all they put in back. But for some buyers who want mint/restored games, they may not care about paying more than you think it's worth. For example, that minty mint GN'R that was shown recently, you know the one with the glossy black cabinet...how much would you say it's worth? With GN'Rs going for around 5K, how do you price a total restore that's made better than new? I'll say this...I offered the guy 10K for it and he said no, he had more than that into it...Now if he had started a For Sale thread and listed it at 11-12K, he would have been flamed out of town. But again, he can ask what he wants, is not a criminal for asking, and if someone wants it badly enough, they may jump for it.

ACTING LIKE BUYERS WITH MONEY ARE IDIOTS
    This happens a lot. We hear stuff like, "Only an idiot would pay this much!" I got that all the time on KLOV and it's the main reason why I hated KLOV and the way those guys all felt every game was $800 or less. The reality is this: people who want what they want, when they want it, may not have any problem at all spending more. On top of that, they will not regret their decision later on. I paid $3,000 for an original Kong Off Edition machine that was played by Steve Wiebe and signed by him and Billy Mitchell. I got flamed to high hell. But I love the machine, the story behind it, and to me it was worth it. Same thing happened when I bought Fix it Felix for $6,500...Everyone said it was a joke game and worthless. But I love having a Disney original. In fact one just sold for $7,000 (with shipping) on eBay. The point I'm trying to make is people who find exactly what they are looking for may go above the so called "market price". These people are not victims that could be saved if only they listened to your advice. They are home enjoying their new toy.

THINKING ORIGINAL VS REMAKE MATTERS
    Sorry guys, these aren't Shelby mustangs. New versions of the same game with updated everything. No brainer. Let's just all admit that a remake will cause the price of the originals to go down. Which is a good thing. No way MM's should have been selling for 15K, ever.

STATING A FOR SALE THREAD IS NO PLACE FOR AN OPINION
    This is illogical. If you start a thread, which is where we have discussions, you have to expect a discussion. It's 100% ok for people to discuss how they feel about your pin and your price. But what we can do is stop getting so upset if someone prices a game high. Instead of flaming people, things could be worded more positive. Instead of, "No fucking way an MMR is worth $9,500.." You could say..."These are selling for $8K, you may want to rethink that price or offer free shipping."

REPEATING WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID
    This seems to be the pinside MO lately, but if 2-3-4-5 people have already stated something, don't state it again. Just click the THUMBS UP button...I often find it much easier to read / understand what most people think by following how many likes/dislikes a post gets vs the sheer volume of people regurgitating the same thing page after page.

LASTLY...REALIZE ALL PRICES ARE HEADED SOUTH
    Prices climbed when volume was low and innovation was scarce. So many amazing new pins on the horizon. The entire market is going to dip. It's true of any collector market. I'm not saying huge drops...but people who bought WOZ won't be breaking even once Hobbit comes out. But in the end, the market will decide. Not me. Much love...

K

#2 8 years ago

cliff notes please…

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

cliff notes please…

Here you go

1. Don't hate people for setting high prices...it's what sellers should do.
    2. Mint / restored games are hard to price and a buyer that wants mint may pay way more than you think it's worth.
    3. Buyers with money aren't idiots because they pay more. Nor are they victims that could have been saved by you.
    4. Remakes will sink original prices.
    5. You start a thread, you invite opinions.
    6. Stop beating a dead horse...if 5 people say it's over priced, do you need to be #6 to say it?
    7. All prices are headed south. If you list more than you paid, 9/10 times you're gonna get people mad.

#5 8 years ago

Put a poll on this thread if you really want to know.

#6 8 years ago

It is a tough job.

#7 8 years ago

Might as well start a thread asking people how they feel about price pumpers while you are at it!

#8 8 years ago

Moderators should just delete negative price police comments. Nothing wrong with intelligent discussion but that is seldom the case in any for sale thread.

#9 8 years ago

Nothing good is going to come of this thread.

If you do not want price policing to occur on your for sale thread, then do not check the box that creates a forum post in the Market section.

If you are going to price police, do so in a courteous manner.

This thread is closed.

Marcus

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-feel-about-price-police and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.