Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Move a pinball in a snowstorm with an uncovered truck?”

• Wrap it up and go for it! 23 votes
      70%
    • Be patient and wait til weather is clear. 10 votes
      30%

(33 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

audi_sport_quattro_snow.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Supposed to pick up my new pin on Sat... but the forecast is snow. Do I wait another week to be safe? Or, go for it even if it's snowing? I have an uncovered pickup truck and it's about a half hour drive from it's current location to my place.

My plan was to tarp all around it and then use a substantial amount of duct tape. Just worried about the possibility of water getting in.

The best idea would be to wait another week I suppose, but I've already waited a week and half and I'm sure of you know how that feels when you're anxious to get your new machine.

#2 12 years ago

ooooo whats the new machine? if you buy the roll of shrinkwrap and use lots and then tarp it, you'll be good. there was a "chance" of rain when i moved one once. it poured for an hour and i was freaking out but 100% dry when i got home!

#3 12 years ago

Cover it with big trash bags...

#4 12 years ago

If it's wet snow, no. Dry, cold (relative term, here) snow, yes!

When in doubt, grab sack and know it's there...

#5 12 years ago

Shrink wrap is amazing. I would never let snow or rain stop me.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from jespo_19:

ooooo whats the new machine? if you buy the roll of shrinkwrap and use lots and then tarp it, you'll be good. there was a "chance" of rain when i moved one once. it poured for an hour and i was freaking out but 100% dry when i got home!

Yeah, I think I'll make a quick stop at UHaul Sat morning. They have those big thick rolls.

Can't tell you what pin yet for fear of jinxing it. I have a feeling it's one a lot of people will roll their eyes at, but I LOVE it!

#7 12 years ago

should be fine with good shrink wrap, a couple layers...

#8 12 years ago

Wrap it up and go go go!

audi_sport_quattro_snow.jpgaudi_sport_quattro_snow.jpg

Fire up the Quattro!!

#9 12 years ago

8-10" here tomorrow

#10 12 years ago

I grabbed my TAF in snow but it wasn't the wet kind. Just tarp it up. When you get home, dry off whatever you need to then open her up to dry it out. Take off the backglass and playfield glass, lift the playfield, and open the coin door. There will be condensation from the temperature change. Do NOT plug it in or turn it on for 24 hours.

If it has a genuine backglass I would put that inside the cab. The hot/cold/hot expansion causes cracking to the silkscreening.

#11 12 years ago

i never roll my eyes at anything but corny 90's gottlieb "fake movie" titles. go for popeye dude!

#12 12 years ago

Or maybe when you're going to U-Haul anyway have a look at renting one of those covered trailers.

#13 12 years ago

Menards(not sure if you have them out there)...big roll of wrap for $15 or hual enclosed with daily fee of $15. Should be good either way. The trailer is probably safer bet but the wrap will last for many pinballs in the future

#14 12 years ago

I have a van, but for multiples, I have been meaning to have a trailer hitch installed. I would recommend this for anyone with a car or non-covered compartment, as later you can rent trailers for $20-$30 a day after from U-Haul.

#15 12 years ago

At Ace (probably menards too) they sell giant bags that are meant for couches to be put in for protection when moving. Did this with a couch I bought and worked great. They are around 8 bucks for 2.

#16 12 years ago

patients and pinball are two things that go together good. But in this case...wrap it up and go get it.

#17 12 years ago

Just got TAF from Coasterguy, drove 6 hours in the snow with the machine in the back of my pickup. A couple of layers of plastic wrap, a tarp and a couple ratchet straps... had no issues. Just make sure it is wrapped up good and let it get to room temp before turning it on.

#18 12 years ago

i just had to snowblow

glad winter is halfway over for the most part

#19 12 years ago

Most importantly, drive safely on those icy roads.

#20 12 years ago

I would go for it! You can get cheap big trash can liners, like the 55 gallon or 60 gallon. They will slip right over the head of the pin. Before you lay it down, and after you've taken the legs off, you can pull a trash bag almost all the way up to encase the cabinet. Lay the head down, and then split one and duct tape it to the existing can liners. I have done this with MANY different objects, even in the rain if the can liners are put on there right. Be sure to strap the pin down. A 50 cent investment here . . .
    Mike

#21 12 years ago

If it's close enough, look at a short term cargo van rental from an indie rental joint. Sometimes Home Depot, etc. have them as well.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

the wrap will last for many pinballs in the future

I use the stretch wrap I get in rolls from Lowes. One roll 1,000' long lasts a long time and costs about $20. Once you have it you will find other uses for it around the house. The best part of the stretch wrap is it adds a layer of protection if you put it on before you move. A good scratch in the cabinets will detract more than $20 if you ever decided to sell it.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Buschjs:

Just got TAF from Coasterguy,

You got an amazing looking machine congrats!!

#24 12 years ago

I had 3 delivered from Maine to CT during a monsoon / nor easter. They were all shrink wrapped, and then wrapped in a tarp a few times over. They came in perfect. Maybe a drop or 2 of water, but that was probably from the removal process.

I say take the time to prep, and you will be fine.

#25 12 years ago

So what's the deal? Did you get it? Did you wait? Can we know what machine it is?

#26 12 years ago

So what's the deal? Did you get it? Did you wait? Can we know what machine it is?

#27 12 years ago

Hah, not yet. Had trouble getting someone to help me move it into my place. I did go up there and play it and gave a deposit. Will probably will pick it up next weekend. Tomorrow might be tough because the Patriots play right down the street from me and everything gets crazy. Waiting sucks.

#28 12 years ago

Can we know what machine it is? You did put a deposit down you can't jynx it now.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Can we know what machine it is? You did put a deposit down you can't jynx it now.

Oh yeah, I guess since it's 1/3 paid for now I can say.

Bally's "Who Dunnit?". I've been playing it a lot at Pinball Wizard in NH and was lucky enough to track one down.

I really like the theme a lot. The elevator, the roulette, the slot wheels...all fun stuff.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Tomorrow might be tough because the Patriots play right down the street from me and everything gets crazy.

It's nice that you don't have to drive to the Patriot's games. However, can you hear fans screaming from your house?

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Rascal_H said:Tomorrow might be tough because the Patriots play right down the street from me and everything gets crazy.

It's nice that you don't have to drive to the Patriot's games. However, can you hear fans screaming from your house?

Not the fans, but the whole sky is glowing right now because I'm sure they're cleaning snow off the seats in preparation. We get free fireworks shows when they win. There's a trail up a hill nearby and from the top you can see the stadium. Kinda neat.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-feel-about-moving-in-snow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.