Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I see this all the time in pinball adds, either documented Home Use Only or undocumented HUO. How do you document HUO? Does it take a signed affidavit in front of witnesses? Is there a specific form you fill out? Does it take a copy of the original sales receipt? What do you do if you got your pin NIB through trade?

#2 3 years ago

With a bill of sale.

#3 3 years ago

You can’t. It’s like how do you prove that I didn’t eat Italian food last night. Unless you have me under 24 hour surveillance, you can’t do it.

I’ve always assumed when people talk about this, they mean having the original invoice. I also keep the cardboard cut out of the serial number from the original box. However, neither of those prove that you never routed it, never put it in a public place, never brought it to a show. At the end of the day, you just have to go by people’s word and condition. Terms are meaningless. Condition is everything.

#5 3 years ago

Unless it’s the purchaser of the pin who presents a sales receipt, you can’t.

And even then, the owner could’ve routed at Some point.

#6 3 years ago

Correct HUO not something that cannot be validated . Statement of indication of games condition can also be misleading . Condition is king not verbage in sale ad . HUO game in poor location within home and no or bootlegged maintainence could be in crappy condition . Use your eyes .

Shane

#7 3 years ago

Coin audits are the giveaway. You can reset everything else except that.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Nope. I routed my documented single owner game at a feeplay arcade for a year.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. I routed my documented single owner game at a feeplay arcade for a year.

Really. So how did you get around coin audits. I don’t know of anyone that has come up with a way around it if you are using coin mechs.
    Duh misread. Free play arcade. Yeah ok I get that one. None of those here in Australia

#10 3 years ago

There is no such thing. It's a phrase used by a certain type of seller when "minty" just isn't enough.

#11 3 years ago

Just being curious, when did the games start storing audits in non eraseable memory? WPC and earlier forgot everything when you took off the batteries. I believe Whitestar did the same, but were the SAM Sterns different? And do the Spike Sterns save audits in SD card (that could be erased and re-programmed) or in the MCU internal flash?

#12 3 years ago

Spike keeps that lifetime plays count somewhere that isn’t the SD card. I’ve used multiple SD cards and the lifetime count has stayed no matter what.

#13 3 years ago

Condition is king

#14 3 years ago

Condition is king, but when I picked up my HUO MMrLE, he had a picture of the unboxing in the garage I picked it up from. Plus it was/is flawless. I've never had a NIB, but I'd cut out the part of the box with the shipping label if I did.

#15 3 years ago

It just a dumb term someone made up.

Tell you the truth I've seen HUO games that look like complete shit because someone didn't know how to clean and take care of their games.

I've bought games from routes and operators that were in better condition because.... guess what ? They took care of their games!

So honestly it doesn't mean anything really. If anything instead of calling my NIB .. HUO games... I would say that I'm the first owner.

#16 3 years ago

It's marketing hype. The funniest variation to me about HUO is when they say "HUO since 2000" on a 1980s game.
    Then there's a "all serial number matching boards" hype, too. Completely meaningless when some restorers started printing their own serial number labels.

#17 3 years ago

It is a meaningless term that some people think makes their crap better than others. Also love the people in the hobby squabbling over the condition of the shooter lane. Who cares. What is the condition of the playfield in general? What condition is the cabinet in?

Condition is what matters. Have seen huo with planking, paint splatter, rust, etc. Have seen a lot of people claim huo when what they have is a routed machine they bought from a retailer.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Also love the people in the hobby squabbling over the condition of the shooter lane.

Didn’t you know? You can tell the overall condition of the game by solely looking at the shooter lane. A for sale ad really only needs that one picture. All other pics aren’t necessary. Haha

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Where are lifetime coin audits hidden in the menu on Williams games? I thought they reset if I pull the batteries.

#20 3 years ago

Williams games do not have non volatile storage, so if you pull the batteries, all audit data is lost.

#21 3 years ago

Condition is king, but I’m one of the few who seem find the provenance of my game adding to the personal value.

I like documentation, the original manuals and such. Bill of sale is always the best. Knowing where it’s been and the life it’s had gives you an idea of maintenance and such. Some arcades and operators are better than others!

#22 3 years ago

Unbox it in a room with 24 hour video suvalence where the feed is continually recording to prove the game never left your house.
    The the new buyer can review years of footage to confirm its true.

#23 3 years ago

I actually provide a time stamped Time lapse with all my HUO sales to show the buyer it hasn’t gone anywhere. LOO baby!

#24 3 years ago

Pictures.

Pictures of it fully in the box with the lid still taped shut
    Pictures of me opening the box.
    Pictures of the machine being removed from box.
    Things like that that make it practically impossible that it would be anything but HUO from me. After that, it is out of my control.

#25 3 years ago

I've bought nib,paid cash,no receipt.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Pictures.
    Things like that that make it practically impossible that it would be anything but HUO from me. After that, it is out of my control.

That just demonstrates you’re the original owner, not that you used it in your home exclusively, which is what HUO implies.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Pictures.

All that says is that you bought a machine and opened it. I can go do that with a number of route operators here, buy the machine off them after a few months to a couple years, and boom I have an huo machine. Your pictures are meaningless.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That just demonstrates you’re the original owner, not that you used it in your home exclusively, which is what HUO implies.

Exactly. You may well have taken it to a show where 1000 people played the crap out of it for 2 or 3 days. You might have put it in the local pizza shop for a year to make a couple of bucks off of it. The term HUO is meaningless relative to value and desirability of a game. Condition is everything and can be determined ONLY by an in-person examination. I have had absolutely mint games that were HUO with a family of teens who played the crap out of the game every day for a couple of years. Without any waxing of the playfield. The previously mint game looked like crap the next time I saw it, but it was essentially HUO!??!! Look at the game in person. That will tell you everything you need to know about condition and whether the game was maintained or not!

#29 3 years ago

I have purchased 2 nib games and I have put my name and date in marker small on the bottom wood. I would hope any future owners would do the same. Makes for a nice historic record.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Quoted from dung:

All that says is that you bought a machine and opened it. I can go do that with a number of route operators here, buy the machine off them after a few months to a couple years, and boom I have an huo machine. Your pictures are meaningless.

My bad, guys ; ).

I don't take games ANYWHERE except my home, and wherever the military tells me to call "home" next.

Points taken though. That's a fair point of view I didn't consider.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Not necessarily. We used to have coin mechs on all our games. Play using coins and save the money up to put towards another game. Games have never left the house.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

You can on most games. Not the newer Sterns.

Reset them, pull out the batteries, pull out the meter on an EM.

LTG : )

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

My bad, guys ; ).
    I don't take games ANYWHERE except my home, and wherever the military tells me to call "home" next.
    Points taken though. That's a fair point of view I didn't consider.

No worries. It just means you have to trust the person who’s selling it to you. Either that or stop worrying about terms and just look at condition.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-document-huo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.