(Topic ID: 242412)

How do you deal with an unrealistic seller?

By gdonovan

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

280217791 (resized).jpg
    IMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 months ago

Same thing happened to me, guy practically down the street trying to sell a Paragon on ebay for $3K, sent him details from PS on average price and offered him a grand site unseen, based on the description of "needs fuses", told him I would even check it out for him at no charge.
    Got a "Thanks" in response. That was about 3 months ago.
    I did not bother contacting him since, and machine is STILL for sale.

Anyone interested, here is the link.

ebay.com link » Paragon Pinball Machine 1979 Classic

#102 7 months ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

3. Wait for him to contact you.

Already washed my hands on the matter, no thanks. My wife is already enjoying the pin I picked up for her on Monday.

If the guy thinks he can get $7500-$8000 by all means go for it.

I have dealt with this type in the car hobby; that pin will sit in his garage till the building falls down around it. Happens with cars too, watched more than one car that was "going to get fixed up one day" slowly vanish into the earth.

Which is his prerogative.

#103 7 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Same thing happened to me, guy practically down the street trying to sell a Paragon on ebay for $3K, sent him details from PS on average price and offered him a grand site unseen, based on the description of "needs fuses", told him I would even check it out for him at no charge.
    Got a "Thanks" in response. That was about 3 months ago.
    I did not bother contacting him since, and machine is STILL for sale.
    Anyone interested, here is the link.
    ebay.com link » Paragon Pinball Machine 1979 Classic

It's always "just a fuse" isn't it?

#104 7 months ago

I tend to keep asking them every 3 to 4 days till they either sell or tell me to go away ..but I can be a jerk

#105 7 months ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

here's how:
    1. Make initial contact with the selling point you wanna buy for. Be sure to point out the issues, etc.
    If he declines:
    2. Use your 3-4 fake email alias' to correspond, offering info on condition which lines up with original contact, and offer lower prices than your original offer.
    3. Wait for him to contact you.

#2 I generally use a mustache disguise and go back to see the seller.

#106 7 months ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

#2 I generally use a mustache disguise and go back to see the seller.

I need to add this to my tactics.

Genius!

#107 7 months ago

I try to be a 'realistic' buyer.

If we cant meet in the middle/decide on a price that works for both of us, I leave them with my offer and walk away.

#108 7 months ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

generally use a mustache disguise and go back to see the seller.

Genius, I have just been using a pair of black plastic frame glasses.

#109 7 months ago

May be a late time to be asking, but didn't you have a clue what there asking price was, before going to see it?

#110 7 months ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

May be a late time to be asking, but didn't you have a clue what their asking price was before going to see it?

Now you go and ruin this thread by trying to be all logical.

#111 7 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

So you offered them $1500-ish on a $3-4K machine because it needed some repairs? Was it in otherwise good condition?
    Sounds to me like both sides have unrealistic expectations.
    Edit: You then cite pinside prices... so what did you actually offer them?

Game that sells for 3100, needs repairs, and probably a shop.

There is a woman locally selling a Batman Forever. Its a mid 2k-low 3k game when done. Her only picture of the machine shows the gi on and nothing else. It hasn't been shopped in a decade so there is 50 bucks and 40 hours if you are thorough. It has incandescents, but if I am buying it at 3k from a collector it will be led'd, another 100 bucks. It's batman forever which means if the flippers are worn, you can't make the ramps. Chances are (of the 3 I have owned so far this was true) they need a rebuild. 3 stern rebuild kits, plus the missing parts from the kits is over 100 bucks. You want the correct early sega bats too? Thats another 30-40 if they are even available anymore.

This is before you start asking what works/doesn't on the game. Display bad, which they often are due to the cost having been so high for so long. 250 to build an lcd, 400 for a color dmd, 500 for an original, take your pick. If the dmd board is beyond repair (had it on one game) be prepared to sit and wait for one to come up and spend 200+ for it. Had one with a bad sound board, also rare since DE kept changing them every few games. I want to say that one was used on 4, took me 4 months to find one at the time and was 250.

So, before you sit and say someone has unrealistic expectations about an unshopped game start doing the math. I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for a BF in that shape and its a game I like. No sense in throwing money, putting in time, to be lucky to break even or worse lose money. Just pony up for one off a collector that needs nothing.

#112 7 months ago
    Quoted from dung:

Game that sells for 3100, needs repairs, and probably a shop.

We don't know what repairs it needs. Heck, we can't even comment on that because we don't know what machine it is! That said, most boards are pretty inexpensive to repair, even if you have to send them to a professional because you can't do it yourself. IMO, a bad board doesn't warrant a 50% discount. There may be exceptions to that, but we don't have enough information to make such a determination.

You're also suggesting to take into account the time and labor of a shop job. While a freshly shopped machine may draw more money, there shouldn't be an assumed discount for an unshopped machine.

#113 7 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Genius, I have just been using a pair of black plastic frame glasses.

280217791 (resized).jpg
    #114 7 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

We don't know what repairs it needs. Heck, we can't even comment on that because we don't know what machine it is!

It was guessed by one of the board members, Bad Cats.

Comment away.

#115 7 months ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

May be a late time to be asking, but didn't you have a clue what there asking price was, before going to see it?

Nope.

I picked up a pin from the guy 2 weeks prior and he mentioned that he had a Bad Cats and it had a smoked CPU. When he got it the CPU was smoked and he spent "a few hundred" getting it repaired and then it smoked again.

Clearly what ever had smoked the first board was still present.

I didn't give it further thought till my wife (who was there when I picked up the first pin) stated it looked like a fun game so I looked up the going rate, chatted up a few system 11 owners and called and made an offer based on average price and expected repair prices (I'm not a Williams solid state guy) plus a few % extra thrown in for any unexpected surprises which I'm sure would arise.

That is when they guy stated "he had seen them go for $7500"

At that point I informed him that "I would check with some friends more familiar with Williams machines" and revise my offer accordingly. We went to Allentown where my wife played the nice $3100 Bad Cats that was there and then I contacted him and upped my offer to $2000 to which he stated it was worth much more to which I politely declined and called it a day.

If I had my truck, I would have simply purchased the one at Allentown but it rained. As it is my wife has a different machine I dragged home this week so is happy and my part is concluded as far as I'm concerned.

#116 7 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

We don't know what repairs it needs. Heck, we can't even comment on that because we don't know what machine it is! That said, most boards are pretty inexpensive to repair, even if you have to send them to a professional because you can't do it yourself. IMO, a bad board doesn't warrant a 50% discount. There may be exceptions to that, but we don't have enough information to make such a determination.
    You're also suggesting to take into account the time and labor of a shop job. While a freshly shopped machine may draw more money, there shouldn't be an assumed discount for an unshopped machine.

Your time is free? Sorry, are you smoking crack? Why on earth would you pay the same amount of money for a machine you know needs work? Why spend the same when you know it needs parts? Why bother with it at all when you can go get one that needs nothing? I could make a cargument, house argument, hell anything argument. Only fools pay full working price for something that needs work.

#117 7 months ago
    Quoted from dung:

Your time is free? Sorry, are you smoking crack? Why on earth would you pay the same amount of money for a machine you know needs work? Why spend the same when you know it needs parts? Why bother with it at all when you can go get one that needs nothing? I could make a cargument, house argument, hell anything argument. Only fools pay full working price for something that needs work.

I didn’t say that. I said that needing a shop job or bit of work doesn’t justify a 1/2 price offer.

#118 7 months ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I didn’t say that. I said that needing a shop job or bit of work doesn’t justify a 1/2 price offer.

You have no idea how much work it needs. You have no idea if it needs ramps, displays, auxiliary boards or even what the cause of the burning up of the cpu board is.

Working Bad Cats have been sold on this board for less than my offer for a dead pin just in the last year, not in the distant past.

Feel free to keep flogging the dead horse though.

#119 7 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Nope.
    I picked up a pin from the guy 2 weeks prior and he mentioned that he had a Bad Cats and it had a smoked CPU. When he got it the CPU was smoked and he spent "a few hundred" getting it repaired and then it smoked again.
    Clearly what ever had smoked the first board was still present.
    I didn't give it further thought till my wife (who was there when I picked up the first pin) stated it looked like a fun game so I looked up the going rate, chatted up a few system 11 owners and called and made an offer based on average price and expected repair prices (I'm not a Williams solid state guy) plus a few % extra thrown in for any unexpected surprises which I'm sure would arise.
    That is when they guy stated "he had seen them go for $7500"
    At that point I informed him that "I would check with some friends more familiar with Williams machines" and revise my offer accordingly. We went to Allentown where my wife played the nice $3100 Bad Cats that was there and then I contacted him and upped my offer to $2000 to which he stated it was worth much more to which I politely declined and called it a day.
    If I had my truck, I would have simply purchased the one at Allentown but it rained. As it is my wife has a different machine I dragged home this week so is happy and my part is concluded as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, that dude was way off! He should have taken your $2k and ran. That was a very generous offer.

#120 7 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I have dealt with unrealistic sellers by passing the word on a deal on to other folks in the general area interested in a machine. Six months ago I really wanted a Jurassic Park and just could not snag one. One came up on Craigslist 6 hours away from me for $3500 stock. At the time, the going rate in that condition was about $2800. After trying to talk the guy down to $3000 and offending him, I passed the info along to other people seeking the same machine and wished them luck. If they got the machine, it would be less competition for another machine that came up in the future.
    In this particular case, the guy on the other end was in desperate need of... social skills, so I think having multiple people approach him at around the same ballpark price helped.

I think you are talking about me bro ..and this is not how I remember it at all ..but thx

#121 7 months ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I think you are talking about me bro ..and this is not how I remember it at all ..but thx

Okay, just to clear things up I am not referring to SpikeLou2 in my post. He was given a cash offer higher than what I offered and I have no beef with him accepting it. Around the same time that SpikeLou2 was selling his JP, there was a sweet looking JP for sale from a separate non pinside seller on Craigslist in NYC. Bone stock, but for $3,000. Seemed like a good deal, but I called him and tried to knock a few bucks off. This dude was off the rails and kept talking about "buying a Mexican to move the machine". Long story short we did not end up doing the deal and passed his contact info off to someone already in NYC who also failed in getting the machine. If I can't have the machine, there is not point in passing the info along to someone else who might enjoy the machine.

To reiterate, the person I am complaining about is not SpikeLou2 and if you are getting that idea I apologize.

#122 7 months ago

The $2k was a very decent offer for the condition it is in. I wouldn't have offered more than $1,200.

The amount of money that will go into fixing it especially if the board needs repair isn't worth it.

1 week later
    #123 6 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Bingo and yes it has happened.
    So if people want to hammer on me then by all means do so.
    The last four pins I purchased from Pinsiders was cash on the glass, no haggling, paid the asking price.
    If you think I'm unreasonable then so be it, duly noted.

Nope.. it's not unreasonable.. if you're in this hobby you know it happens

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 18.95
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 233.10
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,000.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside