(Topic ID: 242412)

How do you deal with an unrealistic seller?

By gdonovan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280217791 (resized).jpg
    IMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

No is an answer. I think best to just walk away. Many more opportunities will come your way over time.

#52 4 years ago

Start a pinside thread a whine like a little girl usually works.

#53 4 years ago

Christ almighty, what game is it!?

#55 4 years ago

Walk away or raise your offer if you really want it. At the end of the day supply and demand governs us all.

#56 4 years ago

To some a game with 2 "smoked" $500 has more value than a game with 1 working board.

#57 4 years ago

Just say ok and walk away you'll eventually find a better deal.

#58 4 years ago

Williams

I left plenty of clues if one was so inclined.

#59 4 years ago

My guess is WW lol

#60 4 years ago

I’m only following this thread to see what pin it is at this point. The people must know!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Christ almighty, what game is it!?

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #62 4 years ago

Pinball machines are emotional impulse purchases. Add that to the personality of the typical pinball person and you get some really odd deals. In the short time I've been playing and buying pinball, I've seen some really terrible, head scratching decisions/behavior/negotiation in multiple deals.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brazy:

Are you worried by telling the game title that the pin-vultures will swoop in, track your location, scan the local ads and buy the machine out from under you? Seems crazy right! Like im sure that doesn't happen.... lol

I dont blame him. I wouldnt tell either. Some people will go to that length.....absolutely......!

As far as what I would do.....walk away and dont look back.

#65 4 years ago

I know the seller, and know the game.

When I talked to the guy, he mentioned thinking it was worth $8,000. I wasn’t in the market for the game, and didn’t have any interest in trying to educate him.

If I were in the market, I would pay like $2,250 for a nice working example. You’re offer was more than generous and certainly more than I’d be willing to pay.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

How do you deal with someone who gets pricing from American Picker?

I understand what you are trying to say, but I think you chose the wrong show. The guys on American Pickers rarely buy pinball machines because they know there is no margin to make money unless you are an expert. The show is obviously staged but pin prices are pretty accurate. The crazy prices people like your seller get are mainly from eBay items that are priced so high they don't sell, ie other unrealistic sellers.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I proclaim them to be ignorant dolts and then threaten them with physical violence unless they accept my offer.
    It rarely goes well, but I sometimes feel better.

So, care to elaborate about the times it has gone well......

#68 4 years ago

Wow some folks in this thread got extremely offended for the seller... I woulda thought you’re one of those “Social Justice” types going around getting offended FOR people!

The guy mistyped, he’s not lowballing the hell out of someone. High end of the game is 4K, he offered half of market value but what he meant to say was based off the condition he made an offer that estimated the game’s value at about half of its high, restored/shopped price.

Someone went on eBay and saw the game sold for 7k once or something like that. That’s fine, people do dumb shit like that all the time.

Check my “How much is a Non-working SFII worth?” Thread. The seller’s reasoning was:
    New-in-box pinball machines sell for 6-7 thousand dollars, so clearly my 25 year old game full of mouse shit is worth like 2k, right?
    As if “pinball” just covers all of them.
    Like when you buy “car” car is car and if one car sells for 100k then every car is worth that.

#69 4 years ago

You asked for opinions.

#70 4 years ago

Probably JM. Great game but not close to $7K great.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wow some folks in this thread got extremely offended for the seller... I woulda thought you’re one of those “Social Justice” types going around getting offended FOR people!
    The guy mistyped, he’s not lowballing the hell out of someone. High end of the game is 4K, he offered half of market value but what he meant to say was based off the condition he made an offer that estimated the game’s value at about half of its high, restored/shopped price.
    Someone went on eBay and saw the game sold for 7k once or something like that. That’s fine, people do dumb shit like that all the time.
    Check my “How much is a Non-working SFII worth?” Thread. The seller’s reasoning was:
    New-in-box pinball machines sell for 6-7 thousand dollars, so clearly my 25 year old game full of mouse shit is worth like 2k, right?
    As if “pinball” just covers all of them.
    Like when you buy “car” car is car and if one car sells for 100k then every car is worth that.

That’s great, but who cares?

Every single person here has had a deal not happen because a price that makes both happy can’t be reached.

We didn’t all make a thread about it.

#72 4 years ago

Sounds like Earthshaker.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Williams

This might not be what you were getting at, but i would suggest mentioning what game it is. There are a lot of pinsiders on here with a LOT of connections. You may just reach the right petson that can connect you with the same pin at a good price.

#74 4 years ago

My post is the opposite. I have had a HUO GB pro on here for sale for a while, and the buyers are nuts. We make a deal, they are going to call back with their off day to come pick the machine up......then nothing. Or they are going to call, but traveling or whatever and time slips by them. And then out of the blue I get a message from someone else offering 100.00 less, and say ok, I do not want to, but I will, and then nothing. I am going to lose money selling the pin, and it is ok. It was enjoyed for a long time but time for something new. I did gain a lot, it was here, I never had to spend any money on gas or beer to go play it somewhere else. I love pinside, but at the moment I am thinking ebay may be a better choice to sell a common game.

As far as other posts here, I like the give # to the seller, and also the info to other buyers so maybe someone ends up with a decent deal.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

My post is the opposite. I have had a HUO GB pro on here for sale for a while, and the buyers are nuts. We make a deal, they are going to call back with their off day to come pick the machine up......then nothing. Or they are going to call, but traveling or whatever and time slips by them. And then out of the blue I get a message from someone else offering 100.00 less, and say ok, I do not want to, but I will, and then nothing. I am going to lose money selling the pin, and it is ok. It was enjoyed for a long time but time for something new. I did gain a lot, it was here, I never had to spend any money on gas or beer to go play it somewhere else. I love pinside, but at the moment I am thinking ebay may be a better choice to sell a common game.
    As far as other posts here, I like the give # to the seller, and also the info to other buyers so maybe someone ends up with a decent deal.

Looked at your add. I suspect its not Pinside that is the issue honestly. Your a fairly new member with 2 posts (in this thread) and your selling a game with No Photos??? That to Pinside (or Any buyer for that matter) is a warning sign!!!!! Find a camera and place an add worthy of a buyer to judge the deal rather then the unknown seller. Just a consideration, hope you find a buyer. And trust me, Ebay is NOT an easier path!!!

#76 4 years ago

74 posts.
    Unknown game.
    No pics.
    Rent too damn high.

How do you deal with an unrealistic thread?
    -mof

#77 4 years ago

A thread about a sale that didnt happen???

I really have no idea if your offer is reasonable or not because we dont know the title or condition of the game. But....... as was already mentioned by other pinsiders, we've all been there before and this sort of thing happens all the time. Don't waste anymore time on this pin. Theres plenty of other pins out there for sale.
    Goodluck.

#78 4 years ago

I deal with it by bitching on the forum

#79 4 years ago

Another Pinside prices are to High thread?
    Move on, plenty of pins, nothing to see there.

#80 4 years ago

I bet vid knows what game it is!

#81 4 years ago

Guessing it's this Doctor Who:

capecod.craigslist.org link

Priced at $3K and needs a new sound board.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I bet vid knows what game it is!

p.s. Vid is now posting from my account.

#83 4 years ago

Unrealistic seller? Tell him what the game is worth +/- and what you would give for it. If the seller holds on to an unrealistic high amount of $ than give your number/email and walk away. Maybe he'll come back around after year of not selling it hahha

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Williams

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm trying to be discrete in case the situation changes.
    For a point of reference a few thousand were made and Pinside has average selling price pegged at $1800-$2100 which is on the low end of the scale based on old sales. It certainly has not sold recently for $7500. I played a VERY nice one on Friday that sold for $3100.

I'll bite for fun what the hell.
    Your most specific clues.
    1) Williams
    2) Pinside Value $1800-$2100
    3) A few Thousand made.

I'm going with Earthshaker
    1) Made by Williams (check)
    2) Pinside Value $1850 - $2150 (close enough)
    3) 5,265 produced (Few = not many, but more than one or 3 or more so close enough)

Do I win a cookie?

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Do I win a cookie?

No

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Guessing it's this Doctor Who:
    capecod.craigslist.org link
    Priced at $3K and needs a new sound board.

I already stated it was a Williams.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Your most specific clues.
    1) Williams
    2) Pinside Value $1800-$2100
    3) A few Thousand made.
    I'm going with Earthshaker
    1) Made by Williams (check)
    2) Pinside Value $1850 - $2150 (close enough)
    3) 5,265 produced (Few = not many, but more than one or 3 or more so close enough)
    Do I win a cookie?

Closest so far! You are in the right decade too.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Closest so far! You are in the right decade too.

Bad Cats?

#90 4 years ago

Gold Star for you sir, I even mentioned in a post I was keeping an eye out for one.

I'm not that invested in the game myself but my wife enjoyed playing the one at Allentown.

#91 4 years ago

I generally figure what I honestly think a game is worth and offer 10-20% less and plan to meet somewhere in the middle.

#92 4 years ago

Comes here for advice then plays stupid games with the details. Gtfo.

I wish I had my two minutes back.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Comes here for advice then plays stupid games with the details. Gtfo.
    I wish I had my two minutes back.

Drain it then.

It was a simple question, no further details were required. This wasn't a "what is it worth" thread, sorry you perceived it as such. I thought I was very clear in the subject line.

I have an analogy, if you will. At work 2 weeks ago I passed a lounge where something utterly ludicrous was on TV and someone was watching and I made some remark about "what a dog and pony show." Think of the most ridiculous thing you can think of that someone might give credence too like Nazis living on the moon or the Kardashians. The single person watching started ranting about it at almost the top of their lungs in defense!

I'm like "woha there!" and backed out of the room. You hear about people believing this crazy stuff but kind of shrug it off till you actually run into one and its a bit of a shock.

Losing a deal? pfft. That doesn't bother me a bit. I have made hundreds of shots on cars. Unless you take the shot you are never going to make a deal. Just like dating, unless you take the shot your going to be sitting on your ass, alone.

I was more shocked this dude thought his dead, unshopped pin was worth double what a better than new fully refurbished unit was going for.

Back out of the room and gracefully exit. Other pins are always rolling down the pike.

#94 4 years ago

Agree with others that prices are subjective and the right price is one buyer and seller can agree on. If you are just looking for a great deal where you come out ahead then don't expect sellers to be "reasonable". Nobody likes a low baller that points out a few flaws and then expects to get the pin for a fraction of it's worth. Those kinds of people then think the same pin is mint and ask twice market rate when selling. Don't be that guy. Make a fair offer and be willing to spend a little if it's a pin you want. If seller is not communicating or working with you in a productive way then better not to do business with them.

#95 4 years ago

I like Bad Cats

#97 4 years ago

I like good dogs.

IMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpg
    #98 4 years ago

Pftttttt.... I tracked down the seller-

Turns out it was a short in the power cord and a blown fuse. I showed the seller this thread and offered $759.13 and a free pizza. They took the deal without blinking and mentioned that "Mr. Half-Market-Value" just smelled bad and wanted to get him outta their house as quick as possible.

I'm still not telling you guys what game this was in hopes this thread reaches 500 posts

#99 4 years ago

here's how:

1. Make initial contact with the selling point you wanna buy for. Be sure to point out the issues, etc.

If he declines:

2. Use your 3-4 fake email alias' to correspond, offering info on condition which lines up with original contact, and offer lower prices than your original offer.

3. Wait for him to contact you.

#100 4 years ago

I had the same exact situation happen a few times and I've always found that being nice helps but showing up with cash in hand helps ever more. its hard for someone to say no when they are looking at 2 grand in cash.. good luck

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-deal-with-an-unrealistic-seller-/page/2?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.