(Topic ID: 242412)

How do you deal with an unrealistic seller?

By gdonovan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

280217791 (resized).jpg
    IMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Afternoon all!

Had a line on a pin and made the owner an offer, they are not pin people. They just happened to have one and indicated it was broken and they already spent a few hundred getting the board fixed only to have it fail again and it had been sitting for some time.

I threw an offer at them of about half market value which is realistically $3000-$4000 in good condition (one just sold down at Allentown for $3100 that was pretty sweet) and was told that they have seen them sell for $7500.

I explained my offer was based on the expected need of a replacement CPU board and of course servicing the unit that had sat for years not to mention what ever had burned out the last CPU. They were politely thanked for their time and I headed for the exit.

How do you deal with someone who gets pricing from American Picker?

#2 4 years ago

Walk away

#3 4 years ago

I do what you did. Head for the exit. It's just a pinball machine.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Afternoon all!
    Had a line on a pin and made the owner an offer, they are not pin people. They just happened to have one and indicated it was broken and they already spent a few hundred getting the board fixed only to have it fail again and it had been sitting for some time.
    I threw an offer at them of about half market value which is realistically $3000-$4000 in good condition (one just sold down at Allentown for $3100 that was pretty sweet) and was told that they have seen them sell for $7500.
    I explained my offer was based on the expected need of a replacement CPU board and of course servicing the unit that had sat for years not to mention what ever had burned out the last CPU. They were politely thanked for their time and I headed for the exit.
    How do you deal with someone who gets pricing from American Picker?

You have made your offer and explained why. There is nothing else you can do. Walking away is the best choice.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah, anything else just tells them that you are desperate to make a deal and will indicate they shouldn't budge. Leave them your # or email and maybe if they get enough of the same lower type offers they will call you back and see if you can make a deal.

With few exceptions it's not like there's not more of whatever machine it is out there, in all cases.

#6 4 years ago

Agreed.
    Sometimes a price can’t be negotiated. Easier to move along and keep it friendly.
    -Hans

#7 4 years ago

I would leave my name and number with them, and tell them that if they change their mind to please give me a call.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I would leave my name and number with them, and tell them that if they change their mind to please give me a call.

That’s how you do it.

#9 4 years ago

Walk away, HOWEVER keep an eye out on the obituaries and get it during an estate sale. Wait them out!

#10 4 years ago

I have found that people like that will take it to their grave with them if they can't get their price. I local wealthy family had a Addams Family in their business for years and they ended up selling the business and retiring. They put the TAF in a barn on their property and left it for 18 years. I found out through a friend they decided to clean the barn out and found it. I told them I would be interested in buying it and they told me $10,000. It is still sitting in the barn.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

They have my contact info, we had spoke on the phone and text. Maybe they will touch base, maybe not. I was flabbergasted when they told me that they saw them selling for $7500 which is.. implausible. If it was a negotiation tactic it was poorly done as I'm not prone to wasting time with unreasonable people.

#12 4 years ago

What were they trying to sell?

I'd just walk away. Unless it's something amazing. Then if you didn't pay up it's probably going to go to
    some guy who has no idea what he got into. Condition is king isn't that what Mike and Frank say?

#13 4 years ago

What was the game?

Posts like this are very ambiguous without more details.
    From what I can figure out with the sketchy info, it could be:

- Local people list a Star Trek Next Gen for sale $3500
    ---- they've seen them for sale at $7500 (might have), but theirs is broken
    - Op feels he can find STTNG for 3K - 4K - and offers them $1500 (since it needs a $300 repair)
    - Op feels they should have jumped at the deal - and comes to pinside for support

Sorry if this seems jaded - but I've witnessed pretty much this exact scenario - which seems pretty ridiculous.
    Here's another jaded viewpoint - same scenario, but the game sells for $1500 - then the buyer brags about how he stole it and fixed it for $300.

But I could be totally off - just depends on what game we are actually talking about - which no one knows but the op.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I threw an offer at them of about half market value

How do you deal with an unrealistic buyer?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

What were they trying to sell?

I'm trying to be discrete in case the situation changes.

For a point of reference a few thousand were made and Pinside has average selling price pegged at $1800-$2100 which is on the low end of the scale based on old sales. It certainly has not sold recently for $7500. I played a VERY nice one on Friday that sold for $3100.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You cut off the rest of my statement which is disingenuous.

Its a dead machine that has been sitting for years with a CPU that has burned up twice, its not in good or very good condition.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

They have my contact info, we had spoke on the phone and text. Maybe they will touch base, maybe not. I was flabbergasted when they told me that they saw them selling for $7500 which is.. implausible. If it was a negotiation tactic it was poorly done as I'm not prone to wasting time with unreasonable people.

They might simply be misinformed. The advice to offer your price and politely walk away if you are too far apart is solid. Do leave your contact info. A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago on a nice HUO LotR. They eventually worked out a deal about a year later when the seller finally realized their intitial price was too high. (because they had overpaid when they purchased it.) The key thing was the buyer didn't offend them so the deal was able to be made down the road when they were ready. Sometimes... negotiating takes time.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

So you offered them $1500-ish on a $3-4K machine because it needed some repairs? Was it in otherwise good condition?

Sounds to me like both sides have unrealistic expectations.

Edit: You then cite pinside prices... so what did you actually offer them?

#19 4 years ago

I would follow up with them in about a month if you are still interested, keeping at same offer. Sometimes it takes time. They may think they are sitting on a gem and are going to get a lot more then they think it is worth. Sometimes times, time is the only thing that can change their mind.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

So you offered them $1500-ish on a $3-4K machine because it needed some repairs? Was it in otherwise good condition?

I offered $1500 to start and was at $2000 which was the most I was going to risk on a dead machine that I just saw an excellent example sell at $3100 with clean playfield, no broken plastics and mint cab and backglass.

$4000 is top of the market in very good shopped out condition which is my guess.

$7500 is not even in the ballpark.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

... How do you deal with someone who gets pricing from American Picker?

I proclaim them to be ignorant dolts and then threaten them with physical violence unless they accept my offer.

It rarely goes well, but I sometimes feel better.

#22 4 years ago

Like others have said, if your offer is reasonable the best thing to do is make sure they have your name and number and be very nice (so they want to deal with you).

As to your original question...
    - open pinside and show them the estimated value and show them others for sale and/or prices they've sold for
    - then compare and adjust for the repair

That way your not just "telling them" with no authority other than a strangers word. They can think about it, do research themselves on pinside and will probably call you back if your offer is fair.

#23 4 years ago

Are you worried by telling the game title that the pin-vultures will swoop in, track your location, scan the local ads and buy the machine out from under you? Seems crazy right! Like im sure that doesn't happen.... lol

#24 4 years ago

I have dealt with unrealistic sellers by passing the word on a deal on to other folks in the general area interested in a machine. Six months ago I really wanted a Jurassic Park and just could not snag one. One came up on Craigslist 6 hours away from me for $3500 stock. At the time, the going rate in that condition was about $2800. After trying to talk the guy down to $3000 and offending him, I passed the info along to other people seeking the same machine and wished them luck. If they got the machine, it would be less competition for another machine that came up in the future.
    In this particular case, the guy on the other end was in desperate need of... social skills, so I think having multiple people approach him at around the same ballpark price helped.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Lol this. OP admits he is asking for half the price and is shocked seller asks the going rate. Outrageous.

#26 4 years ago

This is something I deal with a lot. Just about 2 years ago I was at someone's house. They had 3 games. Cftbl, de starwars, wms indy Jones. I sold all the games to them almost 20 years ago.
    I asked if they were interested in selling. She asked how much indy Jones was worth. I pulled my phone out and pulled up a 14,000 one hep had listed. I told her I would not give her 14k or even 7k. It's worth 3500 to me. I explained its sides were faded. Dot matrix was burned and needed a shop job with LEDs.
    I also explained it's a business to me and I need to make money. Back then for me to get 7k I would need to redo side art, color dmd, new plastics, flippers, powder coat, etc.
    She said she understood and wasn't looking to sell yet, but will call me. ( Think I will send a call her way today.)
    Point is, I dont hide the crazy prices you see on ebay. I try to use them to my advantage.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Edit: You then cite pinside prices... so what did you actually offer them?

See post where I stated $1500-$2000

Ya'll like throwing that $4000 number around like its gospel, it best be damn close to new in the box for $4000

The last 7 ones sold on Pinside had an average price of $2700.

#28 4 years ago

I never really get these threads.

You can’t force someone to sell you a game at the price you want.

You can’t force someone to buy a game at your price either.

Life is too short. Find another buyer or seller until you get the deal you want.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Lol this. OP admits he is asking for half the price and is shocked seller asks the going rate. Outrageous.

Not what happened. OP offered half the going rate. Seller wants twice the going rate.

#30 4 years ago

If you offered me 1500 on a 4000 game, I wouldn't even respond.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Not what happened. OP offered half the going rate. Seller wants twice the going rate.

I offered more than half the going rate (based on real current Pinside sales in the last few weeks) for a dead machine which the owner freely admitted the cpu smoked twice.

Time to move along, there is plenty of pins in the world. I was just curious what other people thought if in the same situation.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You cut off the rest of my statement which is disingenuous.
    Its a dead machine that has been sitting for years with a CPU that has burned up twice, its not in good or very good condition.

What's disingenuous is pretending a few hundred dollars worth of boards cuts a game's price in half. And it likely doesn't need new boards if they were replaced and failed again it's probably something simple like a short blowing an IC. Clearly the game isn't a total wreck since you're obsessed over it enough to post here about it. So let's not pretend it's trash, or you'd just walk away.

You won't even tell us what the game is. That says to me you know you're lowballing and will get called out if you say more.

So I'm sticking with you sounding like a buyer who's not worth dealing with. Walk away, stop annoying those poor people with your bad offers.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Time to move along

You posted as I was writing, agreed with that for sure.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Oooooooh. I read it as if he said half was about 3 to 4, seeing one sell as low as 3100 once. I see. They're both. Being unreasonable. Got it.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

If you offered me 1500 on a 4000 game, I wouldn't even respond.

Clearly you have reading comprehension issues.

#35 4 years ago

Seller: "This game needs a new board."

Buyer: "Ok, ill give you a ham sandwich for it. Delivered."

Seller: "No, I want a 5 course meal in Napa."

Both parties have no idea what they're doing.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What's disingenuous is pretending a few hundred dollars worth of boards cuts a game's price in half.

Must be new math.

I offered $2000, Pinside average last 7 sales is $2700.

New CPU board is $500. Plus what ever smoked the board. Twice.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What's disingenuous is pretending a few hundred dollars worth of boards cuts a game's price in half.

So I'm sticking with you sounding like a buyer who's not worth dealing with. Walk away, stop annoying those poor people with your bad offers.

You posted as I was writing, agreed with that for sure.

Nailed it, Aurich.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brazy:

Are you worried by telling the game title that the pin-vultures will swoop in, track your location, scan the local ads and buy the machine out from under you? Seems crazy right! Like im sure that doesn't happen.... lol

Bingo and yes it has happened.

So if people want to hammer on me then by all means do so.

The last four pins I purchased from Pinsiders was cash on the glass, no haggling, paid the asking price.

If you think I'm unreasonable then so be it, duly noted.

#39 4 years ago

What is the game.The board probably can be repaired.

#40 4 years ago

12 gauge. Now sell me that pin for my price! Load it in my vehicle too. Now.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Must be new math.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I threw an offer at them of about half market value

Alright, I think I'm done, you're just going to be mad when people take what you said at face value. Since you're still hiding what the game is I dunno what you want us to say. You didn't get the sale, at the price you wanted, so you move on.

#42 4 years ago

The other thing is, if someone is asking 2X “market value,” why would you even expect them to accept a “reasonable offer?”

Pretty good sign that you are wasting your time.

#43 4 years ago

After reading all this I am interested in what title it was.

#44 4 years ago

You do what you did, politely explain your offer, leave contact info and leave.

Some people search online and find Ebay listings and retail postings and think that's market. It is what it is.

#45 4 years ago

Take time to evaluate the machine, be realistic as to what you can and can't repair (if needed), think about replacement parts - especially the unobtanium - and make them a fair offer. Fair to them and to you. Leave them their number and be considerate.

That's the best I would do and can do.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Alright, I think I'm done, you're just going to be mad when people take what you said at face value. Since you're still hiding what the game is I dunno what you want us to say. You didn't get the sale, at the price you wanted, so you move on.

Market value as determined by this board no less based on actual sales for RUNNING PINS = $2700

First offer, $1500, second offer $2000.

Who is misrepresenting?

Clearly I was trying to be overly generous (to be fair all around) when I stated a top of the line pin should be valued at $4000 and you all jump at that like its the holy grail sitting in this guys garage which is an outside number that few will obtain. There was a grand total of 2 pins that were priced by that number on Pinside in the last 4 years and they had brand new CPR playfields, new back glass and one case a brand new NOS cabinet.

Stupid me for trying to be honest and fair, even though I think the guy has watched one reality show too many.

I asked a question at the beginning of this thread, what would do in my position? For that I'm attacked by some board members for asking a simple question. Sorry you had a bad experience with a buyer, I'm not that guy.

I want to Allentown, delivered a pin even knocking 10% off for a fellow pin guy, picked up from him sight unseen another pin, made several transactions paying what the Pinsiders wanted for their items no questions asked.

And you know what? I'm not going to let the negative wankers in this thread ruin my opinion of most Pinsiders.

Done.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Clearly you have reading comprehension issues.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I threw an offer at them of about half market value which is realistically $3000-$4000 in good condition

Half the market value which is 3 to 4k. You typed that sentence, not me. Idiot.

#48 4 years ago

Pinside prices are pretty much out of touch around here these days. Market has changed.

Unrealistic seller will wake up or take off market. If game hasn't been shopped, doesn't work. It's going to sit.
    Hopefully someone caught up in nostalgia of owning a game doesn't bite of more than they can chew. It happens

#49 4 years ago

His pin, if it’s not worth it, it’s never going to sell. If you are that determined to get it, watch and see.

#50 4 years ago

1) Be nice
    2) Explain your reasoning for the offer (as it appears you did)
    3) Show them sold items (on pinside, ebay, etc.) to bring them to reality
    4) Make a standing offer
    5) walk away

Some people are unrealistic. You can only be honest with them, point out flaws, and show them the market. Beyond that, it's up to them.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-deal-with-an-unrealistic-seller- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.