(Topic ID: 92479)

How do you deal with an uneven basement?

By alichino

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

digital-angle-finder-protractor-inclinometer-spirit-level-0.05-dwl-180-s-138-p.jpg
    img_3942.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm moving into a house with a concrete basement from the 1910s, and it predictably has little hills and valleys everywhere. It's going to make leveling a game pretty rough long term.

Anyone else have some experience with this? Suggestions would be awesome!

#2 9 years ago

Self leveling concrete. Found a video.

#3 9 years ago

Use the levelers on the bottoms of the legs.

They are designed to level a pin on any surface.

#4 9 years ago

I recently set up a machine in a comically unlevel garage. All it takes is a level, a wrench, and a couple minutes to adjust the leg levelers and get it perfect.

#5 9 years ago

LOL Couldn't have said it better, Vid. We used to haul 30 pins to the MN State Fair and the building they were in had a horrible concrete floor. Not only did it slope from back to front but it had hills and valleys all over the f'ing place.

Quoted from vid1900:

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is only so good. Believe me... I need to level my basement too. Subscribed and hoping for a good idea...
    Dricore could work but would be ass expensive...

#7 9 years ago

I always wonder how during tournaments at PAPA, they're able to move machines around without leveling them. I'd be surprised if a big industrial floor like that is very level.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

I'd be surprised if a big industrial floor like that is very level.

I've always thought about that at PAPA. I'm not sure if the floor is level there, but you've got to figure that all the guys there (Kevin, Mark, Doug, etc.) know EXACTLY how unlevel it is, where the worst spots are, etc.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from tb0ne:

I always wonder how during tournaments at PAPA, they're able to move machines around without leveling them. I'd be surprised if a big industrial floor like that is very level.

Knowing the people in the pittsburgh pinball scene I wouldnt be surprised if they put down a level subfloor.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

» YouTube video

That stuff looks awesome! I'm going to have to check it out once I buy; unfortunately, I'm renting so putting down more concrete isn't going to work

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

That stuff looks awesome! I'm going to have to check it out once I buy; unfortunately, I'm renting so putting down more concrete isn't going to work

It does look awesome, however I could see sinking 10k into just the floor with this stuff...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The basement is completely uneven (like, bumpy); not just unlevel. So if I'm playing a game and the machine *somehow* moves a couple inches, it may be in a spot that dips down even more, and it's all wobly. Or, worse yet, it may now be on a little bump, so it's wobly and it might just slide off that bump with minor nudging.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I need to level my basement too.

Basements are usually unlevel on purpose because the floor needs to be pitched towards the drains.

Should the floor ever become wet from a broken pipe or a flood, you can't have standing water.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

The basement is completely uneven (like, bumpy); not just unlevel.

Yoy could put down sheets of plywood just under the game's feet, say a 2 foot diameter circles...8 per sheet.

That way you could level the machine and if it moved some, it would still be on the plywood..and probably mostly level.

Robert

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

The basement is completely uneven (like, bumpy); not just unlevel. So if I'm playing a game and the machine *somehow* moves a couple inches, it may be in a spot that dips down even more, and it's all wobly. Or, worse yet, it may now be on a little bump, so it's wobly and it might just slide off that bump with minor nudging.

You could add rubber casters to the leveler feet.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564

Oh, yeah, and you can get feet with extra long shafts.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from alichino:

Or, worse yet, it may now be on a little bump, so it's wobly and it might just slide off that bump with minor nudging.

Try those rubber pin boots that keep the pins from sliding around.

That's what all the arcades with concrete floors used to use back in the day.

#18 9 years ago

Home depot has those 2'x2' OSB floor plots. They work well.

img_3942.jpgimg_3942.jpg

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Home depot has those 2'x2' OSB floor plots

Actually upgrade, and get the "Dri-Core" stuff -- it has a dimpled 1/4" thick plastic base that allows water to flow underneath, and has risers/levelers allowing you to compensate for an uneven floor. Have this in my 300 sq ft basement and it makes it nice and WARM (no more exposed cold concrete) and nice and level. You can also do it on the cheap with 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove OSB and then glue on your own "Platon" dimpled layer, usually used for waterproofing the outside foundation.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Actually upgrade, and get the "Dri-Core" stuff -- it has a dimpled 1/4" thick plastic base

That is Dri-Core. See the piece turned upside down on the pile.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Basements are usually unlevel on purpose because the floor needs to be pitched towards the drains.
    Should the floor ever become wet from a broken pipe or a flood, you can't have standing water.

except to level my jackbot i have the back levels nearly all the way in and had to use 3 inch levelers on the front. my basement floor is very pitched...

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pac-Fan:

You can also do it on the cheap with 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove OSB and then glue on your own "Platon" dimpled layer, usually used for waterproofing the outside foundation.

Now this I am going to have to investigate! Any idea of the cost of the dricore? Pretty sure I will have to use 10 shims in places. Your platon idea could be a good deal cheaper.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Any idea of the cost of the dricore?

It's about $6.50 for a 22"x22" square.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

except to level my Jackbot i have the back levels nearly all the way in and had to use 3 inch levelers on the front. my basement floor is very pitched...

Not a problem.

I've had to use a 3" front leveler many times when a single leg is over a drain or service cap at a location.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

Hahhh! He's watchin' concrete dry.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's about $6.50 for a 22"x22" square.

Those dri core tiles look good. Looks like you'd need about 6 (two wide, three deep) for one machine or you can probably get away with 9 for two machines (three wide, three deep), so about $40-$60. Considering the price of a NIB, that's definitely doable.

Quoted from vid1900:

Try those rubber pin boots that keep the pins from sliding around.
    That's what all the arcades with concrete floors used to use back in the day.

Also a good idea. I've heard good things about Pin-Butts, and JCS is a great guy to boot.

Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Home depot has those 2'x2' OSB floor plots. They work well.

I'll have to see how much water the basement gets. I know the walls leak a little bit (it's old sandstone), but it looks dry other than that. Definitely the cheaper option!

#27 9 years ago

Put a lift in one shoe and it will look level.

#28 9 years ago

You're right, I saw the stack and didn't look at the overturned one. I bought mine about 8 yrs ago when they were $4.49 a square at Menards, saw they increased shortly afterwards to $6 something (when OSB skyrocketed). Mine had the circles on them , i see yours has the newer starburst rectangle patterns.

The Platon brand actually does sell their stuff for underlayment explicitly. No glue needed, but they want you to screw the OSB then through it into the concrete. I think you could just contact cement it on the OSB like how Dri-Core is made.

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/Platon%20Flooring%20Brochure%2040-98-02D.pdf

#29 9 years ago

Levelastic and a bonding agent. Brush the bonding agent wherever you're going to patch. Use a flooring trowel or a straight edge, depending on the area. They have floor patch for different thicknesses. Some are for up to 1/2", some for 1" and up etc.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pac-Fan:

You're right, I saw the stack and didn't look at the overturned one. I bought mine about 8 yrs ago when they were $4.49 a square at Menards, saw they increased shortly afterwards to $6 something (when OSB skyrocketed). Mine had the circles on them , i see yours has the newer starburst rectangle patterns.
    The Platon brand actually does sell their stuff for underlayment explicitly. No glue needed, but they want you to screw the OSB then through it into the concrete. I think you could just contact cement it on the OSB like how Dri-Core is made.
    http://www.certainteed.com/resources/Platon%20Flooring%20Brochure%2040-98-02D.pdf

I would not drill it into the floor, I was thinking liquid nail to the osb. Problem is I will need shims but they do not appear to sell them.

#31 9 years ago

I would use some type of plastic shims and concrete screws. You only have to drill a 3/16 hole and they hold very well. You could probably get away with only 2 per square. This way it all comes apart very easily if need be.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

except to level my Jackbot i have the back levels nearly all the way in and had to use 3 inch levelers on the front. my basement floor is very pitched...

I had this exact same thing in my last house. the solution i found was to put gottlieb early solid state legs on the back of the game to help fit into the banked side of the room. This also helped me out for head clearance (1900s basements typically have poor ceiling height). Of course, if you have all Gottlieb games you are hosed.

-c

#33 9 years ago

digital-angle-finder-protractor-inclinometer-spirit-level-0.05-dwl-180-s-138-p.jpgdigital-angle-finder-protractor-inclinometer-spirit-level-0.05-dwl-180-s-138-p.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-deal-with-an-uneven-basement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.