(Topic ID: 57308)

How do you clean the playfield rubber bands?

By Jags

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TaylorVA
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've been searching the forum and haven't found any info on cleaning the rubbers. What is the best solution to use to get the black stuff off the white playfield rubber bands and the flippers?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 10 years ago

lighter fluid and match {OOPS, skip the match!}

#4 10 years ago

Agree, this stuff works great. I have two bottles and use it a lot. Awesome results.

#5 10 years ago

Naphtha.(lighter fluid)

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Naphtha.(lighter fluid)

Why would anybody clean anything on a pinball machine that is flammable!!!!!!! Same thing when people think they need to lube things with wd40?????? Not smart! Spend 5.00 and buy a bottle of rubber cleaner from pinball life.

#7 10 years ago

Wow, I was going to buy that cleaner from pinballlife until I saw they wanted 14$ to ship a 8$ bottle.....

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

Wow, I was going to buy that cleaner from pinballlife until I saw they wanted 14$ to ship a 8$ bottle.....

That's strange. Terry's prices on shipping are usually very fair. And I agree, his rubber cleaner is the shit! I even love the way it smells.

#9 10 years ago

Wesley's Bleach White is what I use.

#10 10 years ago

Ok, it's actually $4.95 for the bottle, and the first shipping option is the 14$ one, you can go the cheaper route but that's still 7$ I had to remove some pinballs from the cart...

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

It's a $5 bottle and shipping is $5-6 via USPS depending on where you live. UPS is the default shipping method on our site since as most of our orders are heavy and this ends up being the best way to ship them. If you have a small, light order then just choose the *USPS priority* radio button during checkout. The $5-6 shipping cost is for up to one pound of product, so if you need a couple more light items your shipping cost will not increase.
    Terry.
    www.pinballlife.com

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Why would anybody clean anything on a pinball machine that is flammable!!!!!!! Same thing when people think they need to lube things with wd40?????? Not smart! Spend 5.00 and buy a bottle of rubber cleaner from pinball life.

Why? Because it dissipates quickly and so no longer flammable. I've used it for eight years and have never had a problem.

I stand by my recommendation.

#13 10 years ago

I recently noticed by accident that MillWax seems to actually be really good at getting dirt off rubbers, but I'm not sure if something in MillWax could be bad for the rubber and cause it to degrade or something.

#14 10 years ago

+1 for pinguard

#15 10 years ago

Someone was actually complaining about the price of the PinGuard cleaner. It's $5 for a 6oz bottle that will last you forever. Really??

#16 10 years ago

RC88 from The Pinball Resource...another option. I've used it forever...good stuff.

www.pbresource.com Locate it under cleaner/ wax category.

#17 10 years ago

I use novus 1. Sometimes novus 2 for tough stuff.

#18 10 years ago

RC-88, lighter fluid, naptha, etc. all do a great job of cleaning rubber. They are stinky and flammable so they can not be shipped via air mail. Not because of the smell, but because of the flammable part of the equation
    Terry.

#19 10 years ago

PinGuard looks pretty sweet though!

#20 10 years ago

Yup, pinguard rubber cleaner from PBL is the hot ticket.

#21 10 years ago

I've been using 409. It seems to do a good job.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

It's a $5 bottle and shipping is $5-6 via USPS depending on where you live. UPS is the default shipping method on our site since as most of our orders are heavy and this ends up being the best way to ship them. If you have a small, light order then just choose the *USPS priority* radio button during checkout. The $5-6 shipping cost is for up to one pound of product, so if you need a couple more light items your shipping cost will not increase.
    Terry.
    http://www.pinballlife.com

Terry, I'm in Hawaii and UPS shipping is always stupidly expensive. USPS Priority is far more economical. Shipping USPS should never get really expensive because of their flat rate box options. No mater the weight if it fits it ships! Don't you use the flat rate boxes for heavier USPS shipments? I'll check out your site and will see if I can but an order together with some of your rubber cleaner and maybe some other items.

Also I want to thank all of you for all your suggestions. If there are any other ideas please keep them coming!!

#23 10 years ago

Laquer thinner

#24 10 years ago

I always use Wildcat RC88.
    Works like magic and has never failed to impress.

#25 10 years ago

Another question! When you use cleaners like lighter fluid or laquer thinner can you leave the rubbers installed on the playfield or would you need to remove them all? My rubbers are not that dirty as they are relatively new but they are starting to pick up some of the black. I would like to simply wipe them down in place on the playfield and not have to remove them. Is it OK to use the stronger solvents while on the playfield? Or would it be safer to use a water based cleaner?

Again any suggestions are highly appreciated!

#26 10 years ago

I use cp100 it works pretty good.

#27 10 years ago

I never bother with Wildcat's rubber cleaner. Old faithful Wildcat #125 (Recommended by Bally) playfield cleaner also works great at cleaning rubber rings during a playfield cleaning session.

#28 10 years ago

Wildcat for me!!! Just got new rubbers on TSPP!!!!

#29 10 years ago

I'm thinking if they're that dirty, it's probably time to order new rubber rings. But I can easily clean dirt off with 91% alcohol and a Q-tip.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

Another question! When you use cleaners like lighter fluid or laquer thinner can you leave the rubbers installed on the playfield or would you need to remove them all? My rubbers are not that dirty as they are relatively new but they are starting to pick up some of the black. I would like to simply wipe them down in place on the playfield and not have to remove them. Is it OK to use the stronger solvents while on the playfield? Or would it be safer to use a water based cleaner?
    Again any suggestions are highly appreciated!

I leave them installed. I take a minimal amount of naptha and put it on a lint free cloth, just wipe the dirt away. Takes dirt off of targets as well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-clean-the-playfield-rubber-bands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.