(Topic ID: 248818)

How do you clean the gunk at the edge of mylar?

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ugly (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Just about every machine I've ever had has mylar protectors on it somewhere that are outlined in black from gunk getting up under the edges. I've tried hand cleaner, novus, soap, simple green... and had 0 luck. I am tempted to go after it with some dental picks. How do you guys fix this?

ugly (resized).pngugly (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

I say rip them off baby!

#3 4 years ago

I've had success using a tiny bit of denatured alcohol and lightly scraping with toothpicks - pushing at the grime from an angle with the tip while being careful not to scratch or go under mylar. Again.. very lightly.

Looking forward to hearing other methods.

#4 4 years ago

Try Novus 2. Typically used for light scratch removal and should work just fine.

#5 4 years ago

its caught up in the sticky residue, goof off etc

#6 4 years ago

Rubbing alcohol will get it with enough scrubbing. It will come back sooner than later though.

I use a different approach.... two razor blades. The first one I slide horizontally under the edge of the Mylar just enough to get under the lip. The second one I use to cut the Mylar using the first blade as a cutting surface. After its cut, I stick it back down.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Rubbing alcohol will get it with enough scrubbing. It will come back sooner than later though.
    I use a different approach.... two razor blades. The first one I slide horizontally under the edge of the Mylar just enough to get under the lip. The second one I use to cut the Mylar using the first blade as a cutting surface. After its cut, I stick it back down.

Sounds efficient enough; I've got to try this

#8 4 years ago

Take it off, clean the playfield, put a new one back on. As long as there's no insert below the mylar, there's almost no risk using the freeze method.

#9 4 years ago

The problem is the black stuff is dirt, rubber particles and other debris that is stuck to the adhesive on the underside of the mylar.
    Yes, you can get in there and remove it but in the process you're also removing some of the adhesive from the mylar at the same time.
    It will make it look better temporarily, but will eventually come back and come back further underneath the mylar where there is more adhesive since in the cleaning process you removed the adhesive nearest the edge.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Take it off, clean the playfield, put a new one back on. As long as there's no insert below the mylar, there's almost no risk using the freeze method.

Just take it off and don't put mylar back on. If you clean and wax the playfield regularly, there's no need for it.

#11 4 years ago

Live with it...……..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-clean-the-gunk-at-the-edge-of-mylar?hl=kuchiyaji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.