(Topic ID: 248818)

How do you clean the gunk at the edge of mylar?

By sataneatscheese

47 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ugly (resized).png

#1 47 days ago

Just about every machine I've ever had has mylar protectors on it somewhere that are outlined in black from gunk getting up under the edges. I've tried hand cleaner, novus, soap, simple green... and had 0 luck. I am tempted to go after it with some dental picks. How do you guys fix this?

ugly (resized).png
    #2 47 days ago

I say rip them off baby!

#3 47 days ago

I've had success using a tiny bit of denatured alcohol and lightly scraping with toothpicks - pushing at the grime from an angle with the tip while being careful not to scratch or go under mylar. Again.. very lightly.

Looking forward to hearing other methods.

#4 47 days ago

Try Novus 2. Typically used for light scratch removal and should work just fine.

#5 46 days ago

its caught up in the sticky residue, goof off etc

#6 46 days ago

Rubbing alcohol will get it with enough scrubbing. It will come back sooner than later though.

I use a different approach.... two razor blades. The first one I slide horizontally under the edge of the Mylar just enough to get under the lip. The second one I use to cut the Mylar using the first blade as a cutting surface. After its cut, I stick it back down.

#7 40 days ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Rubbing alcohol will get it with enough scrubbing. It will come back sooner than later though.
    I use a different approach.... two razor blades. The first one I slide horizontally under the edge of the Mylar just enough to get under the lip. The second one I use to cut the Mylar using the first blade as a cutting surface. After its cut, I stick it back down.

Sounds efficient enough; I've got to try this

#8 40 days ago

Take it off, clean the playfield, put a new one back on. As long as there's no insert below the mylar, there's almost no risk using the freeze method.

#9 40 days ago

The problem is the black stuff is dirt, rubber particles and other debris that is stuck to the adhesive on the underside of the mylar.
    Yes, you can get in there and remove it but in the process you're also removing some of the adhesive from the mylar at the same time.
    It will make it look better temporarily, but will eventually come back and come back further underneath the mylar where there is more adhesive since in the cleaning process you removed the adhesive nearest the edge.

#10 40 days ago
    Quoted from vireland:

Take it off, clean the playfield, put a new one back on. As long as there's no insert below the mylar, there's almost no risk using the freeze method.

Just take it off and don't put mylar back on. If you clean and wax the playfield regularly, there's no need for it.

#11 40 days ago

Live with it...……..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 26.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 1,000.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside