Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Skypilot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Misc_095_(resized).jpg
    60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20151231_140119007_HDR_(resized).jpg
    large_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi Pinside,

Is there an accepted way of cleaning rubbers that are still good (not brittle, fraying, or otherwise compromised) just covered and some of that magical black dust? Is novus a good idea (I know it's a plastic cleaner)? Windex? Spit-polish? I'm curious if there's a quality solution I'm not aware of (*a-hemVidOrTerryB!a-hem* ...'scuse me.)

Thanks for your input,
    Ryan

#2 8 years ago

Lighter fluid. I do have a rubber cleaner I purchased but smells just like lighter fluid.

#3 8 years ago

Some kind of rubber... cleaner... hmmm
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2651

I'm sure someone can come along to tell me what's actually in the bottle and I can make my own for $1.50, but meh, $6 and the bottle will last me forever. Works great.

#4 8 years ago

+1 for PinGuard Rubber Cleaner from PBL.

#5 8 years ago

I use Novus or Isopropyl Alcohol.

#6 8 years ago

As cheap as the rubber replacements are I just replace it.

#7 8 years ago

The often debated Millwax is an excellent rubber cleaner.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

The often debated Millwax is an excellent rubber cleaner.

large_(resized).jpglarge_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

Naptha/lighter fluid for sure.

#10 8 years ago

Rubbing alcohol

#11 8 years ago

I swear by this stuff - it makes the game fast, no residue on the rubbers. ebay.com link: Pinball Playfield Cleaner And Polisher Used By Pros

#12 8 years ago

Here is picture of the stuff I got, but like I said smells just like lighter fluid.

IMG_20151231_140119007_HDR_(resized).jpgIMG_20151231_140119007_HDR_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

i only use my rubbers once!

#14 8 years ago

Plain 'ol cheap Naphtha @ $14 a gallon is the best stuff.

#15 8 years ago

Ha Wildcat...don't see much of that anymore.

#16 8 years ago

rubbing alcohol.

#17 8 years ago

I never tried naphtha for cleaning rubber.
    Vid must have a 55 gallon drum in the corner.

This wildcat is very quick and easy. I think IPA 91% worked just as well too.
    Just tried both for ya saw no difference.

But the special bottle makes me feel good. Cleans protects restores! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

#18 8 years ago

I buy a box of medical alcohol wipes. A little pricy but incredibly easy. Tear one open each time the glass is off and do a quick wipe. 1 will do all the rubbers pretty well.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Naptha/lighter fluid for sure.

It's what I use.

#20 8 years ago

CP-100 works great for me! It's just a brand name for naphtha.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Some kind of rubber... cleaner... hmmm
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2651
    I'm sure someone can come along to tell me what's actually in the bottle and I can make my own for $1.50, but meh, $6 and the bottle will last me forever. Works great.

Yep that's the stuff I use. It's great works excellent and seems to revive the rubber even. A must for the pinball community! Cp-100 works but it's very smelly stuff and I'm not sure of the long term effects of it.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bay78:

Cp-100 works but it's very smelly stuff and I'm not sure of the long term effects of it.

It's 98% Naphtha and .6% Paint Stripper

Don't breathe that stuff!

60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46_(resized).jpg60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46_(resized).jpg

#23 8 years ago

dishwas or handsoap

#24 8 years ago

PBL Pinguard.
    Works great.

#25 8 years ago

Silicone applied by small cloth.

#26 8 years ago

I find this works great.It has an added bonus. When I'm replacing small post rubbers that sometimes rip when placing them on the post, the posts that are larger diameter at the top. I place a small amount on one side of the rubber and it glides easily into place without ripping.

Misc_095_(resized).jpgMisc_095_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-clean-rubbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.