5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SteveinTexas
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

large-laaaarge-blog-ricard-2.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    photo4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hope this is not a silly question.

I have spent the evening searching for suggestions and have found only a few ranging from a light rub with a damp cloth to a bingo pinball video showing a heavy soaking with a degreasing agent and a good scrubbing. Not sure about the second without some assurance from people in this forum.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply Nick.

Its the wiring in older pinball machines I am concerned with. I did not say it but it is a Can Can Bingo machine I am currently working at cleaning it is much worse than my pinballs. Frankly it is filthy and stinks! I have the cabinet stripped and have washed the wood with bleach and all the metal internals have been tumbled or cleaned. The harness however carries a lot of dirt and tobacco stench.

I plan then to soak it in a degreaser solution diluted with water for a day or so and then scrub and rinse. I have a compressor so blowing of the water prior leaving a few days to dry. Even if it doesn't get as clean as i would like it should lose the smell.

Obviously the back box is the worst and that is why in the video they clean it before touching with their hands too much. I will probably go that way too.

I wonder however what others have done for their old games?

#10 5 years ago

Nick,

I contacted the guys in the Netherlands 'Frans and Coos'. They both have different internet sites with english translations. I asked them What is the Magic spray and the Sorbo Blue Wonder made of?

Frans answered as follows;

"The problem with the magic stuff and the Sorbo is that the first product is not longer for sale as it was too aggressive and Sorbo is just an ordinary Dutch detergent, used for all kinds in the housekeeping. We bought the Magic Stuff in big cans and as far as we know the staple is a sodium hydroxide solution. So you can try to dissolve tablets of the dishwasher as those are pretty aggressive. But all you need is a strong degreaser which will do the job and I am sure there are a lot of those over in the USA."

Just getting started on this restore fixing the cabinet and making stencils of the different can can girls (you got to get the ladies just right). I will post this step when complete.

Still most interested in others suggestions on what detergent/degreaser you have used on the wires. and are happy or unhappy with.

Steve J.

1 week later
    #28 5 years ago

Great feed back to the video evidence. I have to agree with Nick about old bingo games as my bingo is a whole lot different to my old pin-balls. The bingo was full of oil and probably tar not nicotine (jrpinball point is probably spot on), the head still is filthy so this type of cleaning is probably the way to go before I strip it down. The use of the magic cleaner as 'Frans' admits and 'Shoot-Again' mentions is a caustic(sodium hydroxide) cleaner we don't know the strength but just look at how the grime washed away. However, I am unwilling to try it and Frans agree's it is not the way to go.

As per the old pinball wood I have liberally 'washed' an old EM machine component base board but I did use a compressor to remove the rinse water and detergents quickly. It is much cleaner and no harm done to wiring (which is a lot brighter) and components etc.

Check out the site Nick has linked they are excellent restorers. Also Frans site is;
    http://ballybingo.nl/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 65.00
    Texas Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside