(Topic ID: 73535)

How Do you check condition of NIB older game before buying?

By KenPin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by KenPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've seen posts that warn of potential acid damage and planking on older games that are still NIB. Before spending thousands on one of these seemingly found treasures, how can the buyer check its condition? I would not think the seller would let you take it out of the box. And what is "planking"?

#2 10 years ago

You can't...if it's out of box, it's not NIB...

#3 10 years ago

Search playfield planking, there are many threads and pics of planked playfields...

#5 10 years ago

So how risky is it buy an older say early 2000 NIB machine?

#6 10 years ago

Biggest thing to ask is how it was stored. If it was stored in a client controlled warehouse, home, etc then you should be just fine as it's the temp changes that cause most the problems with the playfields. Depending on the age and humidity of the place their could still be some surface rust on some parts but those can be cleaned/replaced if necessary.

If it was stored in a non-climate controlled location then I would expect problems and you should price it accordingly.

As for the battery's that will be a crap shoot.

#7 10 years ago

Out of curiosity, what game is in speculation?

#8 10 years ago

Has anyone ever found battery damage on a NIB game, or is it an urban legend? I thought they shipped them with dry cells.

#9 10 years ago

It all depends how the machine was stored. If the machine was stored upwards you would be more likely to see damage on the boards... if the machine was stored flat, then the backglass would get the brunt of the acid. Either way it's lose lose. But you can pray and gamble when you buy these machines.

#10 10 years ago

the old NiBs are such a weird proposition. it seems like you're paying a premium for the privilege of not knowing the condition of the thing you're buying. I'd much rather pay less money by tracking down a game that one can plainly see has been kept pristine or restored.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenPin:

I've seen posts that warn of potential acid damage and planking on older games that are still NIB. Before spending thousands on one of these seemingly found treasures, how can the buyer check its condition? I would not think the seller would let you take it out of the box. And what is "planking"?

Planking is what happens when you spend a huge amount for a game you've never seen, and then when you lose thousands when you drive it off the lot....I mean, take it out of the box.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Out of curiosity, what game is in speculation?

Well recently there was a TSPP NIB on LA craigslist for $6.500 then dropped to $5,500 and sold. Clearly for that price you could get a primo HUO that you can confirm is mint. Likewise, there has been a BIBLE NIB advertised here on pinside for $14K. How can people afford to take the risk of buying an older NIB? Do you contract with Seller that you get money back if it is damaged in the box? I am doubtful that Stern will cover after it is several years old regardless of whether it is still in the box.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-check-condition-of-nib-older-game-before-buying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.