Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Let Em`Ring (resized).JPG
Plugs man (resized).JPG
download (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all,
Love playing my Royal Guard but sometimes the bell "ding-a-ling-ding" gets on yer tits, any top tips on how to quieten down the bells?

BB

#2 7 years ago

Unplug or cut the wires?

#3 7 years ago

Never tried baking them, but maybe that works?

But, I typically cut up a magic eraser or some other foam/sponge and put it inside the bell so that it lessens the vibrations. Note this suggestion is for an actual round bell, not a chime unit.

#4 7 years ago

I bake my bells off in the garage while listening to Bob Marley...... ...............Joey

#5 7 years ago

in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours

#6 7 years ago

Maybe add some deadening material inside the bell where the plunger strikes. It's going to sound weird, more like a thud. Personally, I'd just disconnect them than try and quiet them down.

#7 7 years ago

Maybe some tape around the circumference to deaden them a little?

#8 7 years ago

Well, I've gotten games that had electric tape wrapped around the outside of the bell (around the circumference). I think it's a shame though to do it.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I bake my bells off in the garage while listening to Bob Marley...... ...............Joey

Yah Mon bake those bells

#10 7 years ago

I find a convection oven will make them nice and toasty.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I find a convection oven will make them nice and toasty.

The OP wants to bake them more quietly though... The problem with convection ovens is that the fan can be a little noisy.

For optimal toastiness and minimal noise, I suggest using the broiler.

#12 7 years ago

Maybe put rubber on the hamers

#13 7 years ago

Options to soften the bell include:

- apply tape to the outside (that may turn gooey after a while)
- add foam, cloth, etc. to the inside
- stretch a rubber band around the outside (try various sizes and tensions to experiment with the sound)
- add a soft washer (felt, rubber, leather, etc.) to one or both sides of the bell where it is bolted to the mount
- wrap a rubber band around the joint between the bell and the mount
- add a clip on the edge (plastic paper clip, clothes pin, alligator clip around a small piece of paper board, etc.)
- put something softer on the plunger tip (rubber, leather, cork, etc.) but it will need to fit inside the coil sleeve
- build a box around the bell with something like cardboard (maybe an egg carton?) or rigid foam insulation

Most approaches that modify the bell somehow will change the sound as well as make it softer. You'll have to decide if that's ok. The last option might keep the sound but just make it softer if done right.

/Mark

#14 7 years ago

Earplugs?

#15 7 years ago

Throw an old Tee Shirt over them. Fast, easy, and just as fast to undo the fix.

#16 7 years ago

I have went to pick up a machine and regular wall insulation was put laid up against bell. I am starting to itch again just thinking about it.

#17 7 years ago

Oop's, bake a bell??? Been watching to many UK baking programs.. lol
Should've spelled "Make"..

BB

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Oop's, bake a bell???

Yes. And if they are stuffed they can almost make a meal.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

My Royal Guard is also exceptionally loud but I like it that way

#20 7 years ago

Thanks' for the replies lads, some great idea's to try.... Would hate to be in a room with about 20-30 being played at the same time.....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

My Royal Guard is also exceptionally loud but I like it that way

We're the middle house of three houses together so i'm trying not to annoy the neighbours..

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Would hate to be in a room with about 20-30 being played at the same time....

You wouldn't like my garage then. But to us it is sweet music to our ears.

#23 7 years ago

How many have you got if I may ask?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

How many have you got if I may ask?

In the garage? About 20. And all bells. No chimes. We usually shut it down about 11:30 to show a little consideration for the neighbors. In the house they are much louder, but we can shut the windows and play on.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Thanks' for the replies lads, some great idea's to try.... Would hate to be in a room with about 20-30 being played at the same time.....

That's what an arcade sounded like. And I miss it.

You've already taken the big blue circles off the game. Can't quiet down the bells now...

#26 7 years ago

Put said bell in the middle of a cake tin, cover in cake mix. Bake for 35 minutes on 180 degrees

#27 7 years ago

Not sure what is available in the U.K. Most hardware stores here sell self adhesive pads for furniture, lamp bases, nick nacks, to protect what they are sitting on. Felt pads, rubber pads and clear plastic/silicon pads. Try the different types. Place them on the bell, either directly were the striker hits the bell, or on the inside were the bell is hit. Have not tried any of these, but they should cut down the sound. Your are going to get more of a thud, than a ringing.
Could also wrap the out side edge of the bell with a Velcro Band of some kind. No adhesive to worry about, pops of easily enough.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Throw an old Tee Shirt over them. Fast, easy, and just as fast to undo the fix.

Years ago I had my 1 pin in an apartment. On Chimes, yes, I have placed a small wrapped towel on top. It did quiet the chimes, the tri tone was still noticeable.

#29 7 years ago

Just wrap a little cloth around the back side of the bell where it meets the bracket. That will "b"ake them quieter!

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Not sure what is available in the U.K. Most hardware stores here sell self adhesive pads for furniture, lamp bases, nick nacks, to protect what they are sitting on. Felt pads, rubber pads and clear plastic/silicon pads. Try the different types. Place them on the bell, either directly were the striker hits the bell, or on the inside were the bell is hit. Have not tried any of these, but they should cut down the sound. Your are going to get more of a thud, than a ringing.
Could also wrap the out side edge of the bell with a Velcro Band of some kind. No adhesive to worry about, pops of easily enough.

Excellent idea, thank you..... Felt pads...

#31 7 years ago

Perhaps by insulating the back box door. I have one machine where the door was replaced by a 3/4"wooden one. Seems to work but I like the noise. Sing Along makes the most. Bells seem much louder than chimes and love that in my 60's machines.

#32 7 years ago

Lay a folded up towel on the chimes.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes. And if they are stuffed they can almost make a meal.

That's my favorite pre-made meal at Costco. I like their Chicken Alfredo as well once I Toowoombafy it.

#34 7 years ago

Plugs man (resized).JPGPlugs man (resized).JPG

#35 7 years ago

Where do you stick them?

#36 7 years ago

Maybe you could apply some sort of rubber material as a mute?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Where do you stick them?

You mean those orange medicated suppositories?

#38 7 years ago

You know where to put the cork...

#39 7 years ago

Let Em`Ring (resized).JPGLet Em`Ring (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

On my High Hand, I just put a switch on the ground lead of the chimes to turn them on or off. Works great when the family has gone to bed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-bake-bells-quieter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.