Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160306_211712_(resized).jpg
    20160306_211731_(resized).jpg
    pinballhexlayout_(resized).png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Ok, i did a quick search and couldnt find anything. How do people with a good sized collection arrange their games? By era, manufacturer, theme, height, etc. I am planning on putting my ems together in one room, close to that the early solid state. Then with my 80s and 90s probably by make and system. 6803s next to each other, system 3, system 11, etc

#2 7 years ago

Alphabeticaly

#3 7 years ago

In the main room I have 11 classic Bally / Williams games on one wall. But that is not all of them I do swap games around. But on that wall they all have ColorDMDs.

Facing they break down by CPU type. System-11 together, DE, Sega.

Upstairs I have a small bedroom with 5 pins. One wall is 4 Stern games from 2001 to Present. The Odd pin is Capcom (PM)

Living room is whatever I am working on at the moment.

The other half of them are all over most not setup and some on loan to The Sanctum.

#4 7 years ago

I'm doing them by manufacturer right now

#5 7 years ago

Wow taxman! Probably the same way i would do it. Color dmds in a row looks great no matter what year or system it is. I did it by manufacturer before, but im trying to seperate the pins a bit more so gottlieb ems and system 3s will be seperated. Ive also done it by height to make a nice pin row

#6 7 years ago

All the early solid state games are in the basement one wall is my faves one wall is hubby's faves...and one wall is EMs and other manufacturers (Stern Bally Zac) and one wall is system 9s. Then the dinning room is system 11s (most have toppers and don't fit in basement) living room is DMDs and newer Sterns (all ColorDMD) family room is ACDC and Varkon (because that's where they ended up when they came home from last show and ACDC because the jukebox is in the entry hall. oh and Joust is in the living room...cause that's where it ended up after last show. But it is going to have to move soon cause CSI goes there but we had it out for our tourney and if needs its spot back so I can set it back up!

Phoebe

#8 7 years ago

Mine are haphazardly all over the house. No rhyme or reason needed for me. I am just happy to have many grouped together that are working!! haha

#9 7 years ago

Whatever looks good. Don't mind mixing EM and SS kind of together either like some kind of messed up Pinfest row, but they're getting split up soon due to room.

Surprised people are so anal about it, figured majority would also be "whatever looks good".

#10 7 years ago

I dont have enough to make a difference. I only have 3 and they are where they are based on they are heavy as hell and i dont like moving them.

#11 7 years ago

Normally by manufacturer so the cabinets all look nice and cemetrical. I did have them by flipper quantity once TSPP (5), TAF (4), WH20 (3), LOTR (2) why?...because I was bored.

#12 7 years ago

Wherever and however they fit!

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

Chronologically

Same.

Quoted from Otaku:

Surprised people are so anal about it

In a hobby where meticulous restorationists and obsessive compulsives abound (I'm guilty as charged on both fronts) I would think anality would come with the territory.

Hats off to the more laissez-faire "whatever entered my basement first" group amoung us. Ha-ha!

Quoted from amkoepfer:

How do people with a good sized collection arrange their games?

P.S. Good luck finishing-up that basement!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

In a hobby where meticulous restorationists and obsessive compulsives abound (I'm guilty as charged on both fronts) I would think anality would come with the territory.
    Hats off to the more laissez-faire "whatever entered my basement first" group amoung us. Ha-ha!

Yeah, I figured that, should have rethought my statement but I'm still surprised most aren't organized by what looks great.

#15 7 years ago

Most valuable as far as I can from Windows (due to fading concerns). Any pin that has an object, like a gun (LW3, Shadow, etc) gets placed at the end...hopefully along a wall. This is so you do not get tummy plunged whike changing pins to play. Other than that they just get added to the row

#16 7 years ago

I have 1 room that is all 60's and 70's Gottlieb. My other room is only new Sterns. I try to organize each room by year manufactured.

#17 7 years ago

OK, here's a twist. Everyone seems to place them side by side against a wall. Not the best arrangement if you want to admire backbox and cabinet art. I was thinking of placing similar pins in a hexagonal layout in the center of my mancave. I have 20+ pins, so this will take some space. I'll put the EM pins and some of my jukeboxes along walls.

pinballhexlayout_(resized).pngpinballhexlayout_(resized).png

#18 7 years ago

disregard, this erroneous post, anyone know how to delete a post?

#19 7 years ago

Seems like the majority of people at least at least somewhat go by system mixed a bit with year. I agree about artwork, itd be nice to have the art shown, but i think most people dont have the space to show off side art. Maybe pitting them at an angle instead of against the wall, that would allow a little more art to show

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

... Maybe pitting them at an angle instead of against the wall, that would allow a little more art to show

That would work too!

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

OK, here's a twist. Everyone seems to place them side by side against a wall. Not the best arrangement if you want to admire backbox and cabinet art. I was thinking of placing similar pins in a hexagonal layout in the center of my mancave. I have 20+ pins, so this will take some space. I'll put the EM pins and some of my jukeboxes along walls.

Sounds pretty badass to stand in the middle of, mostly for view but I suppose for sound too.

Really cool but you sure need a hell of a lot of space for that especially if you want to put more up against walls.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

That would work too!

Our fave rows in the basement are angled due to the 1 wall being angled (cause the laundry room is behind it for now) so you can see the artwork somewhat better. When they are angled like that it kinda cuts down on space, that's why we only have it in select areas (because the way the wall is in that area) and the ones in the living room there is 1 (MET & SM & CSI when it is up is angled) on either side of the fireplace angled into the corner.
    Ours are also kinda in chronological order by room...they used to be more so, but with juggling them in and out for shows they got jumbled around. We used to have all the double level together in order that they cam out, and the other early SS depending on the year of release (when more than 1 we went down to month of release) system 9s, system 11s all by year...they are now together in the same room just jumbled up a bit in order. The back box sizes and heights were all a factor also as it looked kinda strange to have for instance a newer Stern... next to an EM or early SS. Now with them being separated by room that alleviates that issue most of the time.

Phoebe

#23 7 years ago

My 2 wide bodies are together in one spot because they fit best there, otherwise it's random

#24 7 years ago

Old pin list, but due to tight space I must organize first by head size. Wide body WOZ is now against short wall. All narrower heads are against long wall and I have now fit SEVEN against long wall.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-put-10lbs-in-a-5lb-gameroom

20160306_211731_(resized).jpg20160306_211731_(resized).jpg
    20160306_211712_(resized).jpg20160306_211712_(resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago

By smell.

#26 7 years ago

Sooo...EM's outside?

#27 7 years ago

I did mine in the order I acquired them but Sir Scott pointed out one day that they actually end up shortest to tallest as well.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Mine are haphazardly all over the house. No rhyme or reason needed for me. I am just happy to have many grouped together that are working!! haha

Get those games grouped correctly before the next party.....that includes all the projects as well.....HaHaHa

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hats off to the more laissez-faire "whatever entered my basement first" group amoung us.

This is what I do.

#30 7 years ago

I tried the pin rosette with three... Cause I only had theee at that point- and indeed you see a lot more of the games. However, I decided I really did not enjoy playing them when they were in that arrangement. What I really discovered is that I must be a nosy son of a bitch- I had not realized how much time I spent watching the person next to me play. And when you playing with a buddy and the pins are laid out around a circle like that, you cannot see anything they are doing and its also less loud- I guess I like pinball to be a party, loud and close. Mine are all in a row again- as god intended.

#31 7 years ago

Height or Designers or Themes

#32 7 years ago

I go by 1st game designer & then 2nd year produced left to right.

#33 7 years ago

I arrange my pins side-by-side and try to get them close to a power outlet - smartass answer
    Sterns in one row, B/W in another, newest pin in gets the prime spot all by itself and is closest to the bar. Priorities my good man.

#34 7 years ago

How they came through the door is my strategy. I only have five right now but the next one in will end up in the next spot. No rhyme or reason is the way I roll!

#35 7 years ago

Not hard with only 2 pins in my collection.

#36 7 years ago

Side by side.

#37 7 years ago

I try to separate machines that have similar shots / layouts. For example, fan layouts, upper right flipper, etc...

I also make sure 2 widebody machines aren't next to each other since I have pingulps.

And if there is a high traffic area or tight space, I'll put a machine with a launch button vs. a launch or plunger that sticks out.

I also keep kid friendly games near each other and away from adult themed or more challenging games.

#38 7 years ago

Short ball times are relegated to Hades (garage arcade - who said hell wasn't a good place to be)? There is no rationale how they ordered. The balance reside in the PinballPalace. These games are grouped by Designer and can be played while enjoying the comforts of ac.

#39 7 years ago

Broken and not broken

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Broken and not broken

Best answer yet

#41 7 years ago

By weight

#42 7 years ago

Haphazard, but I have some semblance of why. No one here would be interested in the details though.

#43 7 years ago

I go left to right

#44 7 years ago

Generally, I try to keep similar cabinets styles together. But there are some considerations which will affect that, such as the pretty ones go on the end and beaters in the middle, space issues, topper height issues, etc...

#45 7 years ago

I have mostly similar era games, but some are more popular than others. So now I've tried to pepper the best titles throughout the lineup, putting "anchor" titles like MMR and TWD at the far end of the row, to pull players down the line rather than having everyone group up around the strongest titles if they were all placed together.

#46 7 years ago

In the order they we purchased ....Helps me remember when others are asking.....

#47 7 years ago

No particular order. I do have a few light cans in my ceiling that I have to take into account. Because of the different playfield glass slopes, the light will reflect off of DMD games and be visible to the players. For that reason I put EMs or SS games under the lights and let the rest fall where they may.

#48 7 years ago

Envious of those with enough room. I started with them at one end and just add them to the end where I can fit them. Eventually they got closer and closer and grew off on the one side. Now have them shoved in places they fit. Can't convince the wife to move and its probably best given my situation with my health problems. The issue with the space is wide bodies: I have all the machines tight together so try and keep the wide bodies apart. So that's the only reason I shift them around.

#49 7 years ago

I do it by theme.

#50 7 years ago

By theme, Good, Bad and.. ....Funny

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-arrange-your-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.