(Topic ID: 186276)

How do you all find the time for this hobby?

By Chitownpinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    52674239 (resized).jpg
    images-10 (resized).jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I have been "collecting" for around 10 years now (im pretty young for this hobby at 33), and I am finding less and less time to do it.

I see full grown men, with full time jobs, at like, every pinball expo/event/league. How the hell do they do it?

I had time from 23-28, but then slowly but surely, Im working more and more, then we had a baby. Im literally scrounging to find an hour a night after the baby goes down to do a soldering project on the quick.

My main questions:

How do you get all those days off from work? I can barely get a vacation in, and I get 3 weeks a year! (15 days)

How do you afford to travel, room and board, DRINK, and then buy expensive pinball machines all in one swoop?

How do you find time to sign up for a league? I cant lock down a party for my friend's kid next month.

My main source of inspiration right now is Scott Danesi. Wow, what a freakin brain. Kid is living my dream life. Works for a pinball company, designs his own in his spare time. Then BLAM, sells his sweet design to Spooky. Plus, hes driving the car I always wanted as a kid. JERK. lol. jk.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

#2 7 years ago

Sell the baby. Get rid of the wife if she isn't working.

Those time savings alone should add to your pinball fun.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sell the baby. Get rid of the wife if she isn't working.
    Those time savings alone should add to your pinball fun.
    LTG : )

No WAY! Shes the best man....and she loves pinball...at 10 months.

She works part time. The other part time job is keeping my house and life in order.

Id be in disarray without either of them!

#4 7 years ago

I have 2 kids, neither are babies. The shows are on weekends so you take 2 days off + the weekend and you get a longer trip.

I went to Arcade Expo with 3 friends. We volunteered to tech at the show, got in free and got free meal tickets. We also shared rooms at the hotel total cost including gas was about $200 each.

I made sure league was on a good night for the family and made it a priority to go. I could be hanging out at a bar every night but instead my hobby keeps me home most night and I go to league and pinball shows.

#5 7 years ago

There are 24 hours in a day, many of which I'm just screwing around anyway. So might as well be doing something constructive like fixing and playing pinball games.

#6 7 years ago

prioritize
    your kids are young, you shoukd spend as much time with them as possible

be aware of your limitations
    not all of us have the time nor inclination to restore games, working well is good enough most of the time
    nor can everybody go to every show, plan on going to 2 or 3 a year and work around those dates

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There are 24 hours in a day, many of which I'm just screwing around anyway. So might as well be doing something constructive like fixing and playing pinball games.

I hear ya...its rough when I work a 90+ hr week at times. I just want to melt into the couch at the end of it for a day or two.

Quoted from Cheddar:

I have 2 kids, neither are babies. The shows are on weekends so you take 2 days off + the weekend and you get a longer trip.
    I went to Arcade Expo with 3 friends. We volunteered to tech at the show, got in free and got free meal tickets. We also shared rooms at the hotel total cost including gas was about $200 each.
    I made sure league was on a good night for the family and made it a priority to go. I could be hanging out at a bar every night but instead my hobby keeps me home most night and I go to league and pinball shows.

Right on...I figure once we get the other kid done, and they grow up a bit, things will change. My time is just all booked up I feel like. Jealous of others.

#8 7 years ago

Watch less TV.

#9 7 years ago

We get an hour a night to wind down to DVR'd price is right from 8-9ish PM.

I watch most of my TV on the road when Im stuck in a hotel. Helps me save money for pinball crap.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

its rough when I work a 90+ hr week at times.

There's your problem right there. I quit doing that years ago when I realized the more I made, the more they take. Got rid of all debts, paid my house off and now I work 3 days, sometimes 4 or 5, but not often.

#11 7 years ago

I am thankful that I discovered that doing what I want is way more important than money some 15 or so years ago.

#12 7 years ago

it's easy when you're 39 and your children are pinball machines...

#13 7 years ago

I hear ya...its rough when I work a 90+ hr week at times. I just want to melt into the couch at the end of it for a day or two.

Right on...I figure once we get the other kid done, and they grow up a bit, things will change. My time is just all booked up I feel like. Jealous of others.

It's going to get worse before it gets better... just wait until you have a 2nd kid. My kids are 3 and 1 and I don't think I've been to a pinball show since shortly after my 3 year old was born. My IFPA rank has slipped from 322 to 723 because I'm barely ever able to make it to tournaments or pinball events. When you have young kids it just comes with the territory. Cherish the time you have with them because pinball will always be there when life slows down and your kids get older and less dependent. I'm looking forward to bringing my kids to shows and tournaments when they get a bit older and hopefully they will be able to enjoy the hobby along with me.

#14 7 years ago

The first two years of my son's life my pinball playing and collecting ground to a halt. Now that he's 3, and sleeping great and able to entertain himself its easier on everyone in the family. I'm now playing more than ever, although budget wise I can't afford many new games so once a year I'll pick one up. What has helped is that I consciously chose to have less hobbies and take deeper dives instead of keeping myself busy with tons of stuff like I used to. I used to sport shoot, and play poker, and a bunch of other stuff. Now I am focused on pinball when I am not focused on work or family.

I'm really lucky to have a super supportive wife. She is gracious enough to take over childcare when I traveled to Dallas for nationals or Pittsburgh for PAPA. I am also embarrassed to say I get 28 days of vacation a year and its use it or lose it so I use every day of it. I also work remotely so no commute.

#15 7 years ago

As others have said, I don't watch TV unless it's on while I'm soldering etc. My kids are early teen years so more than happy to ignore us and do homework most nights. As for the vacation thing, I went to TPF because it's local but don't go to the other shows, although I will probably hit one this year.

After running my own business for years, life required me to sell that off and go work for an engineering company. Best decision I could have made, less work, better pay and I don't have to deal with so many people. I specifically looked for a job that is more flexible on my time so I don't have to work the 60-80 hours weeks and worry about only 3 weeks of vacation. Rarely do I put in more than 50 even during a crunch time. Vacation is when I want to take it (although without pay).

Life is a balance and it's important to do what you enjoy. Make it a priority and you'll be happier.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

It's going to get worse before it gets better... just wait until you have a 2nd kid. My kids are 3 and 1 and I don't think I've been to a pinball show since shortly after my 3 year old was born. My IFPA rank has slipped from 322 to 723 because I'm barely ever able to make it to tournaments or pinball events. When you have young kids it just comes with the territory. Cherish the time you have with them because pinball will always be there when life slows down and your kids get older and less dependent. I'm looking forward to bringing my kids to shows and tournaments when they get a bit older and hopefully they will be able to enjoy the hobby along with me.

MikeS is right. I used to be able to hold down a consulting gig, run a business making merchandise for Marvel and DC, watch hrs of tv, read tons of comics, hit about 10 major comic shows a year, and make the rounds of dozens of antique malls, flea markets, and comic shops. Never mind the pinball stuff. All while having 3 young kids. Now, they demand more time, I'm constantly working, constantly chauffering to hockey, baseball, basketball and soccer, etc. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

But that's a good thing. It's a small window to savor. Before you know it, your kids will want to spend time with only their friends and they'll be off to school. God willing, you have as much fun with them as possible and then come out the other end with time on your hands to enjoy the things you put on the back burner.

#17 7 years ago

I am in the no time boat too. I have a full time job, wife and two small kids 5 1/2 and 4. I've cut way back on my competitive playing and only make it out on a Saturday once a month for the two events I tournament direct that day. It's crazy to even think about since there are no less 12 events I could do locally in a month if I had the time. I used to look at competitive playing almost as a second job. I missed it more at first, but now it doesn't really bother me that much. I don't have anything left to prove on a local basis and I don't want to miss this time with the family when the kids are this age. I missed MGC for the first time in 4 years this year too as a sacrifice for going to the Pinball Expo in Chicago. And even to get to Expo I had to take an early morning flight out there the day of as I didn't have vacation and couldn't justify missing days of work and not getting paid. It was definitely worth going though, so glad I made the effort to make it happen. When I play on route nowadays, it's usually a quick couple of games on my way home from work or sneaking out at 9:30pm to run over to a place 5 minutes from me to get a few games in before they close. I still love to play, it just takes a back seat for now for the more important things in life. I'm sure that will change at some point and hopefully I will be bringing my kids to events in the near future.

#18 7 years ago

Stop sleeping so much. Think of what you could do with an extra 7 or 8 hours a day. Just joking of course. I find it hard to even get a game in sometimes because of being so tired after a 14 hour work day and the games are right there in my own house. Like others I believe I will have more than enough time for pinball as my two kids grow up and money and space. When they go off to college I am putting pins in both their rooms.

#19 7 years ago

Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is meant for rich retired people. Good to know I am not the only one that struggles with this sort of thing. Sometimes I consider just selling all my game room stuff and revisiting at a later date.

Fatsquatch really touched on some things in this thread that I could relate to. I'm guessing a lot of us with kids at home can.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-leaving-the-hobby-might-do-some-trading-first-harrison-tn

#20 7 years ago

It doesn't happen overnight when it comes to a collection of games. You need to buy something on the cheap (if you can find a cheap game anymore) and fix it up and sell it for a nice little profit. Do it as many times as you can to build the collection. Finding the time can be tough in many situations like yours. I work seven days a week at 8+ hours every day and then come home to do my pinball thing. Sleep wise is about 5-6 hours per day. I have no kids so that makes a HUGE difference with the time and money thing. There is nothing on TV worth watching as far as the new shows go but I will sit down to Seinfeld everyday it's on. Your problem is that now that the prices have sky rocketed so much it's hard to afford a game, any game. Do like I said, start out small and keep at it. Keep a look out everyplace you go and between the word of mouth, CL, auctions.... Someday you'll be glad you did and so will your kids.

John

#21 7 years ago

I wouldnt have been able to do this hobby in my 30's either. Kids were too young and my focus was on them. Its only now that I am in my 40's that I can do shows and work on games. Like John says, start small...it worked for me.

#22 7 years ago

Not having kids sure makes things easier. My wife and I agreed not to have them, and 7 years in, that decision has not began to waver. Anytime anyone tries to condescendingly tell her "you're young, your clock will tick differently o e day...you're a woman..You'll see", it just makes her more adamant and strengthens her resolve to not have kids.

Not having debt helps too. Between the two of us, we have 9k total debt. Life's a lot easier without credit card bills, auto loans, school loans, and other debts crippling you.

#23 7 years ago

Other way around for me... "What am I supposed to do with all my free time?" "Ah, this will work..."

#24 7 years ago

Pinball is not a hobby, it is an addiction!

Fantastic to see a young family in the hobby. Some I feel are semi retired or retired so they have plenty of time. The rest are addicted!

#25 7 years ago

I don't have tons of time for the hobby, which is pretty clear if you check the date on my last post in my project pin thread. My family all likes playing, and my son is older so when we have free time we definitely like playing. I struggle finding lengthy blocks of time to work on my pins though. I usually game my weekends by trying to blast through chores as fast as possible so I can at least get 2-3 hours to work on projects.

#26 7 years ago

and I am finding less and less time to do it.

Well there's always more time to do stuff you just need to move some things

Oh shit dude never mind there it's pretty much over.

How do you get all those days off from work? I can barely get a vacation in, and I get 3 weeks a year! (15 days)

Get a union job whilst you still can.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is meant for rich retired people.

No, it's meant for poor semi-retired people with no bills.

#28 7 years ago

I must have joined the wrong union no work no pay for the IBEW but we have a cool logo.

#29 7 years ago

The kids and wife have to sleep sometime...

#30 7 years ago

Definitely feel your pain- I have a 7 year old kid.. my wife thought it was pretty cool when we got our first pin, a TAF. But when the 3rd and 4th rolled around.. she started liking it less and less.. now that our basement rec room is unusable due to my current project pin being disassembled right in front of the tv and all over the couch... she's taken to actively hating them

My son still plays and enjoys learning about fixing them, but isn't quite old enough to really do much yet.

So yeah time is hard to come by - between running my 90 hour a week IT business and working and son's hockey practice, and bills and mortgage and everything else, it's hard to make the time. Every couple of weeks I just stay up all night and work on whatever I'm wanting to do next, sometimes it's work but a lot of times it's those pins. You gotta make the time somehow. No tv definitely.

#31 7 years ago

Ug. Between work, kids, and work around the house my pins collect dust. It was easy with just one kid, but then almost exactly 2 years later Bam! twins?!? Fml... I figure I'll be able to chill again about 2019?

#32 7 years ago

What others have said here - cut your debt.
    Also cut out the $6 lattes at Starbucks, and start packing lunch.
    Chances are good in a year or two just doing that, you'll find extra money for another pin (No TAF or TZ but some pin).

Also, tell your boss that you're tired of 90+ hour weeks.
    I did that for 12 years, all over the globe, and it got me nadda.
    That and having 1 kid (and soon 2), will quick enough put you on 'the wrong side of the dirt.'

If your employer is having you do 90-hour weeks, you need a new employer.
    (Better yet, if your skills or trade can support it - go into business for yourself. That way you can schedule work and customers around certain show weekends, etc., and the playtime we all know and love).

Also, doing that frees up time that you can (and should) spend with your kids while they're young.

#33 7 years ago

My wife and I were pinball addicts before kids. Then the pinball craze went away during the child raising years. Now with both kids in college, we get to have our own fun again. We "rediscovered" our pinball addiction a couple of years ago. I use my "me time" (when my wife is at work a couple of days a week and I'm home) to use as my pin repair and mod time. It is really, really good that your wife likes pinball too. Use that to your advantage for some well deserved fun time once in a while. Pinball Expos/shows are usually on weekends. Take a Friday off and take her to one of these shows "for fun" - or even just Saturday and return on Sunday. Leave the kids with Grandma, or an overnight sitter that you trust. Most shows have group rate discounts at hotels if you catch them early in the planning stages. If you're close enough to the Chicago expo, maybe you could just make a looong Saturday out of it. Having actual fun with your wife is definitely a good thing in many ways. If pinball is that avenue, use it. Believe me, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than golf weekends (which we still do) ... and really a lot more "compacted fun time" than golf. Golf is more sports enjoyment in the great outdoors, wine tasting is more relaxing fun and interesting. Getting off topic, but hope you get what I'm trying to say. By the way ... the VFW show has camping ... cheap. Great pin-players show.

#34 7 years ago

With 5 kids and 50 hour work weeks I will go two weeks at a time without touching pinball. Of course I am not a great player (and have no aspirations to be competitive) and I have mostly machines that need very little maintenance. I fix the easy things and have friends that help me with more difficult stuff. I've never been to a show but would like to some day.

#35 7 years ago

I actually don't have time for the hobby with two kids 4 and 20 months but I have decided to buy a game a year so that when my boys are old enough they will have cool area to hangout in. I don't just do pinball, I am about family fun center. Racing games, skeeball, poker table, neon signs, and of course pinball. In the short term my problem is here in California we don't have basements so the only time I could play is at night and my boys sleep in rooms next to my games.

If it all goes south. I will have some really low played HUO games for sale but I sure hope that is not the case.

#36 7 years ago

Ask for it when you're hired or promoted. I get six weeks starting this year. I'm 32.

How do you afford to travel, room and board, DRINK, and th

My wife and I have good jobs

How do you find time to sign up for a league? I cant lock down a party for my friend's kid next month.

Most weekends are free for me. I play in two leagues that only overlap for a few months a year. helps if your wife supports the hobby. Mine plays in the NKY league I helped start.

#37 7 years ago

when I work a 90+ hr week at times. I just want to melt into the couch at the end of it for a

Are we exaggerating a bit here? You must be working 9 day weeks...

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Depending on where he works that could be true. My sister in law is a director at a national accounting firm. She worked 117 hours in a 7 day week this year.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Depending on where he works that could be true. My sister in law is a director at a national accounting firm. She worked 117 hours in a 7 day week this year.

"worked". No offense, but I worked at a job where a couple guys volunteered for double shift and got fired for going into the cafeteria area and falling asleep. 117 hours of effective work in a week is not attainable.

#40 7 years ago

My job requires me to think all day. I love that a big part of the hobby is repair/maintenance and I can use my hands—it really calms me down.

Marc

#41 7 years ago

When you're single, your pockets jingle.

#42 7 years ago

I'm 28, married, have 3 kids (number 4 will be here this coming monday), own and run my own business taking 50+ hours of manual labor a week. To me, even if it's just one game every few days I try to do it when I can. My kids all love it and my wife tolerates it so all is well. Don't stress over what you can't do.... be thankful for what you can.

#43 7 years ago

I think you're a dad who's having a mild meltdown about not having enough time for his "stuff" at the end of the day. Anyone with little/young kids has been there.

I sold my show truck with intentions of buying a C6 vette... Wifey ended up pregnant... Never got the vette. Got back into pinball about 8 months ago as a way to tinker with things but, not tear up the entire driveway or garage or get into a bind where something has to be put back together so I can wheel it back into the garage.

My son comes first. When I hit the door, it's all about him. Once he goes to bed and wifey and I watch our 1-2 shows, I hit the basement and dabble in pinball.

Do some of my machines have credit dots? YEP!
    Do I wish I had the time/money/parts/resources to fix them all? YEP!
    Are there nights where I don't care about pinball? YEP!
    Does family come first? YEP!

I've had this meltdown many'o'times - it will pass. You may get into a rut for a few months where you can't seem to get ahead but just keep chugging.

Anyone who works knows it's a lot harder than just asking for more vacation... 3 weeks isn't bad. Force your bosses to respect your time off. They'll push back the first time but, after that you'll be golden. Straight out of college, I used to work 60-70 hours a week until I got burned on bonuses due to "company cutbacks". Started working 45ish a week and my bonuses are larger now! Read up on the studies about working 50+ hours a week and the diminishing returns, you'll be REALLY surprised.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I must have joined the wrong union no work no pay for the IBEW but we have a cool logo.

Oh for sure best logo... Holding on to the bolt I've always loved it.

#45 7 years ago

"how-do-you-all-find-the-time-for-this-hobby"

I don't. I spend more time on pinside than I do playing pinball.

Between work, wife, kids......I probably play a couple of hours a week on my machines. I rarely go to pinball expos....maybe one a year and for one day....maybe.

#46 7 years ago

I've been working on one of the five project pins in my garage for about 3 years now - my son is two and a half. You do the math!

As for the money, I started 20 years ago when they were cheap, and now I buy wrecks to fix up. For shows, pick one or two bigger ones and make it a vacation.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I don't. I spend more time on pinside than I do playing pinball.

True, especially at work. Except now I also have a pin here at work. Excuse me...

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Kind of wish i was. Have you never worked a 16-20 hr day? Lol. Must be nice. Throw a couple of those in there, work every day of he week, and youll get into the 90+ club.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know Im not the only one.

#49 7 years ago

Just appreciate the time you do find for it. That is the great part of owning games in your house. You might not have time to play them all the time, but when you do, they F'ing rock! And have some games that are really quick players. Iron Man can give you 2-3 satisfying games in 10 minutes. Stars can be even quicker. Balance it out that way.

#50 7 years ago

Life is too short to work 90 hours

If SHTF and you're doing it to survive then fine, but if its just business as usual... well you're missing the point of life.

There's nothing cool or admirable about squandering your time @ work. Fuck that job/company, stack some cheese & transition out of there.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-all-find-the-time-for-this-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.