Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Russo121
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-12-01_07.14.24.jpg
    2012-12-01_07.13.50.jpg
    rj-fletcher.jpg
    Arrrrr.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider super8man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 11 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I cook at home instead of going out to restaurants, cut my own lawn, paint the house myself and wash the truck instead of going thru a carwash. I take leftovers to work and nuke them for lunch (my cooking is better than fast food anyhow). Little simple things like that add up in the long run. We buy our meat only when it is on sale and use the freezer. Same for the soda pop in the fridge. And we buy our prime steaks at the local market buying the complete side. They slice it and wrap each piece to your desired thickness for nearly $3.00 a lb less than you pay for a steak at the supermarket. If the food does not come out of the freezer we eat what is on sale at the supermarket that week. And we use local coupons whenever they apply to what we normally buy. Little things around the house are bought at slickdeals.net when superdeals show up and we live on the credit card and pay it off every month to get about $600 a year in cash back (american express). I do all the brake replacement work on our cars. That alone is a big figure everytime you do it. Sometimes I even change our own oil if the weather is nice.
    Believe it or not none of this affects our lifestyle negatively and it makes a big difference in how much we waste every month. We both prefer the way we cook our own steaks at home over the restaurants with their high prices and waiting lines anyway.
    Its nothing out of the ordinary, its just a way of life instead of getting ripped off on buying fountain drinks at the gas station etc. We always have cash in our wallets for anything stupid and we want for nothing. That gives us both extra cash to throw dumb money on pinball stuff or whatever else the wife wants to spend it on.
    Whey you can buy a 12 pack of pepsi at Kroger for $3.00 why the heck would you buy a single fountain drink at the gas station or Mcdonalds for $1.69? Beer is cheaper by the case than by the six pack too and it always ends up getting used. Ya just plan ahead and take a can of pop to work with you. It all adds up in the long run. And we are NOT tightwads...I usually have four digits of cash in my pocket in case I trip over something I can buy on the spot and turn over a week later to make a few hundred (or more) bucks on. We dress very well with clothes on sale at Kohl's and drive cars less than three years old that are paid for. We have not paid a penny in credit card interest in at least 7 years.
    Sorry...did'nt mean to bore anyone with stupid details. Just sayin that you can save a lot of money by not throwing it away on a daily basis because it all adds up in the long run. We all have our priorities, and we prefer to buy tangible things that we continue to own as opposed to enoying a $100 dinner at a restaurant. Most people don't flinch at such a dinner bill, but we cringe at it. Different strokes for different folks. We all do as we prefer with our hard earned cash. Nothing wrong with however you want to do it, but the difference does add up quickly.
    But I'm sure lots of people would talk behind my back that I'm crazy in the head for paying $6500 for a WOZLE pinball game.
    Oh well...you asked the question!

^^^^ This!! For YEARS I have not bought lunch downtown and banked the savings...or more correctly, not spent what was yet to come in. I recycle (a lot of work for only about $34 at a time but my kids love the money). When I am out somewhere and I see cans on the ground or being tossed it's all I can do NOT to pick them up and haul them home. Plastics, nah, but cans for sure. I make my own cookies and cakes for my boys and not only are they healthier but yummier and CHEAPER. I do all my own chores around the house (people I know have weekly maids) including most things automotive and home repairs, upgrades, etc. Sadly, despite all of this (and a lot of other cost saving ideas very similar to the quoted post), I have never wanted to buy a NIB pin. I would prefer someone else to apply the patina for me. And when it came to refurbishing an older pin, suddenly it seemed like a much more cost effective proposition to avoid McDonalds and instead buy some new leaf switches for the flippers, etc. It's nice not to think twice about it since I am not hemorrhaging funds into cigarettes, bar tabs, fast food, etc. etc. Oh, I did buy a NIB 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T but with stupidly low interest rates, that monthly payment is the equivalent of my savings from being handy and smart.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider super8man.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-afford-your-games?tu=super8man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.