(Topic ID: 8439)

How do you afford all those pins?!?!?

By practicalsteve

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

l.jpg
    economicallyviable.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 12 years ago

Put them on location, make them earn their keep.

Flip the odd pin.

Win poker tournaments.

Have an understanding partner.

#61 12 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Has anyone put their pins out on location?

Second post. That's how I'm paying off some of my pins. Yes, it will take a year or two. Then it comes home, gets shopped out again, and stays put!

When I initially shop them out, I use an eye towards minimizing damage. Put on the protectors, make sure everything is in running order, etc. It's also why I don't worry too much about the cabinets, as they will take abuse on location. And be picky about what location they are at.

Clean them once a week, go by on a night to play them and have pints. I consider that place my 'game room'. Just so happens that it has about 30 TV's running all kinds of sports, I get staff discounts, and cute young women bring me drinks and a cook to cook my food. Life is good!

#64 12 years ago

No license, just a business license ($100 a year).

I think they are happy! More people coming in to drink beer and eat food. We have a monthly tournament, and I've met quite a few folk just from showing up to play. Also sold my first pin that way (an email out of the blue asking if I'd sell my Monster Bash).

I only have one location, and prefer it that way. I'm no OP, just a pin head, spreading the joy, and having the machines off sets cost a bit. I'm trying to convince them we need a bigger line up (hint, hint, you guys buy a TRON LE, I'll take care of it, and buy it off you in 3 years).

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Luckily Smoke is Canadian (at least according to his flag), so hopefully they aren't currently as tax hungry as our own gov't

I am Canadian, eh! Also, our gov't gets a nice chunk of tax right off the hop. How else do you think we pay for that health care?

#72 12 years ago

I think flipping pins is a valid way to build up your collection, and may make the most sense to someone that does not have a lot of cash. And on the plus side, it forces you to learn how to fix and restore them.

You see a good deal, buy it, fix and restore, sell for profit, rinse, repeat. You'll be surprised how fast you end up trading up! Plus, you save all those pins from the dumpsters, and hopefully pass them on to budding pin heads.

Just be sure you don't buy a lemon. I may take a loss on the POTO I just got. Price you pay sometimes!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-afford-all-those-pins?tu=smokedog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.