(Topic ID: 8439)

How do you afford all those pins?!?!?

By practicalsteve

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

l.jpg
    economicallyviable.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Curious as to how you guys fund this expensive little hobby. I myself have a little wallet in a drawer which I try and throw a 20$ in once a week, but with a baby on the way I have a feeling my second pin wont be coming until next summer.

Thread only meant to be fun, not trying to find out anything financial about you, wondering if people have any quirky or unusual methods for saving up their dough.

#8 12 years ago

Jonnyo I actually live in the bay area and the pacific pinball museum and playland not at the beach (which is literally 5 minutes from my house) are just about my two favorite places in the world! I am trying to save up to buy a dream pin EATPM, WH2O but I am always looking for a nice 80 Solid stater.

Ballsofsteel, I hear you, I am totally not materialistic and have no need for the fancy things, the only other thing I collect are records and I dont pay more than 20 bucks (not looking for rare ones that cost an arm and a leg.

Smokedog, i have a feeling my pin fund would go up in smoke with the poker tourney suggestion, and I am not about to put my only pin on route, thats my baby! (until my actual baby comes.)

Mojozone, keep it up you can get a decent DMD if you keep combing craigslist.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

that's what it like to live two hours north of the Bay area! Gas ain't cheap

Bummer! worth the drive though if you haven't been to the pinball museum yet.

Quoted from gweempose:

Cocaine distribution.

Thats a plan.....

Quoted from badbilly27:

I sell my body to women. After the laughs and loose change thrown at me I keep a pinball budget.

too funny!

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Dink-dink, dink dink dink, DINK, DINK, dink...

+1

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

If you could learn a little about basic repairs and playfield touch up you could possible make a little more money on your trade in's.

Thats my plan, I have been fixing up my hurricane, plan to enjoy it a year and then sell or trade it for what I have in it (hopefully).

Quoted from Shane300zx:

blaming a child for lack of pin collection is just harsh man.

I would never, I am more excited about my child than anything else I have ever been, we are adopting which is EXPENSIVE as all get out. I would sell my current pin in a heartbeat for 200 dollars if need be. Just saying due to the timeframe it will take me a little longer to save this time.

#63 12 years ago

This has become quite a heated topic! Thank you so much Shane300zx for the congrats on my adoption! Been a long road but should be coming to a glorious end soon.

Only meant for this to be a fun thread, hope nobody become enemies on here because of it.

Pinball to me is a great hobby, but I would never sacrifice other things in my life that are more important because of it. If I only have my one machine the rest of my life that will be cool with me, there are always pins on location.

#78 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

As a result, it cost us nearly nothing out of pocket.

I am glad your twins are ok!

Quoted from Goonie:

Congrats on this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but mind if I ask how long you waited? My wife and I are adopting as well, and man a long road indeed. And +1 on the "expensive" part. I think if rather pay the hospital bill! :>

I do not mind you asking at all, I am always happy to talk about adoption. I am actually adopted myself, as well as my sister, and two cousins. We have been waiting two years to be chosen, we are doing an open adoption. We were chosen by a birthmother in early October and she is due March 3rd. We are very excited! If you want to ask me ANYTHING about the adoption or even just chat feel free to send me a pinside mail. And I think I would rather pay two hospital bills at this point. How long have you waited if you dont mind me asking?

<sub class="mdrtd">Post edited by practicalsteve : forgot a word</sub>

#82 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Thanks, I appreciate that. We've been on the list for 18 months now, with some very close calls. We have a love-hate relationship at this point. The nice thing is, the calls are coming near once a month now, but we have yet to make the final round. And I have all these pins... WTF! :> Seriously though, it's a painfull wait isn't it? I'll send you a PM offline when I get a chance.

Aaron

I know how tough it can be, you just gotta hang in there and it will happen eventually. We have had a lot of emotions, It has been and continues to be a real roller coaster. At least you have all those pins to take you mind off things!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-afford-all-those-pins?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.