7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by practicalsteve
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

l.jpg
    economicallyviable.jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shane300zx:

I must say careful planning is in order. Im 30 one house paid for and buying a second house own a BMW and have another child on the way. Im not rich or loaded but i manage my money well. Wife has a good job at the hospital and i own a snow removal business and farm about 4k acres. Not trying to turn this into an argument or a pissing match but blaming a child for lack of pin collection is just harsh man.

I don't think the original poster was blaming the child for a lack of pin collection, although I certainly was. I'm 37, can't dream of ever owning a home due to the market here, but I can afford a car and pinball because I don't have a family, that's the reality of my situation and choices based on it. You can afford a family and a pin collection, that's the reality of your situation, but his situation may be that he can afford a family /or/ a pin collection. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Children are a choice - one that some people choose and some people don't, some can afford and some can't like anything else. Money only goes so far depending on how much you have.

And that's life.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shane300zx:

system11 said:

BAM! Mistake.

We make lifestyle choices based on expendable resources, you made your choice.

That was directed at someone else. Now understanding the question you asked in more detail as in adopting,people should not be so quick respond with something so harsh.

practicalsteve said:

we are adopting

That is a very stand up thing to do. To take someones child they had to make the ultimate decision to give them a better life is just WOW, thats all that can be said about that. Good luck and hope everything works out for you through the whole process. Congratulations!

Previous post was not saying steve was putting the blame of a child on his pins i was saying what you said real harsh without pointing fingers directly at you. Especially now knowing he is adopting and what you said about the child being a "mistake" is just harsh dude. We all have to live in our means and i really dont like to brag or run on about what i have,done,seen but it kinda upsets me when someone criticizes me about my car or house. Ive worked hard for what i have as im sure everyone else has for what they have.

#53 7 years ago

Ima stop posting on this subject unless i have to defend what i have posted. I just don't want this to take a turn for the worse. Ive stated my opinion and shared my thoughts.

#54 7 years ago

Can anyone really afford a family?

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Can anyone really afford a family?

The fact is, kids are ridiculously expensive. My twins are 7, and I was just wondering the other day how much college is going to cost 10 years from now. I shudder to even think about it, and then you have things like braces, Bar/Bat Mitzvah's, weddings ... the list is endless. Of course, that's just the financial side of things. You also have to factor in all the time, energy and stress that kids bring with them. I don't regret having kids for a moment, but I can certainly understand why someone would choose not to.

Quoted from JDub1006:

I found after you have a couple of pins you mostly trade out or up ... If you could learn a little about basic repairs and playfield touch up, you could possibly make a little more money on your trade in's.

I think that's really the key. Most people aren't oozing money these days, but that doesn't mean they can't have a nice pin collection. It just takes time and some serious dedication. You start out with some reasonably priced titles, make sure you don't overpay, and then slowly work your way up. The more adept you become at fixing/restoration, the quicker this process will be.

#57 7 years ago

Fast once a week, never eat out, manifest friends that have pins, get more jobs, etc...

#58 7 years ago

I've sort of already posted in this thread about my curiosity on this, but I'll post again as it was not addressed and I think it may benefit a lot of us in regards to paying for the hobby.

Has anyone put their pins out on location? I'm not talking about necessarily becoming an operator, but just getting a few pins out there. I don't know how often these things get played by the general public. I think it would be a good idea, get one that people like, put it in a bowling alley, take it out after it's earned some change, sell it to get an economic profit. Thoughts/suggestions?

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I shudder to even think about it, and then you have things like braces, Bar/Bat Mitzvah's, weddings ... the list is endless. Of course, that's just the financial side of things.

And that doesn't include the other things like needing a bigger house, additional cars, insurance, food, clothes, daycare, diapers, etc... There never is a good time to become a parent or have additional kids, but they sure are fun. Besides, it's only money.

I personally skimp on the little stuff and save up for big ticket items. I don't eat out, get coffee from the break room, watch netflix, wear ratty old clothes, bring cans of soda from home, shop at warehouse stores, etc... all in an effort to save more money so I can afford cool stuff.

#60 7 years ago

Lots of tattoos!

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Has anyone put their pins out on location?

Second post. That's how I'm paying off some of my pins. Yes, it will take a year or two. Then it comes home, gets shopped out again, and stays put!

When I initially shop them out, I use an eye towards minimizing damage. Put on the protectors, make sure everything is in running order, etc. It's also why I don't worry too much about the cabinets, as they will take abuse on location. And be picky about what location they are at.

Clean them once a week, go by on a night to play them and have pints. I consider that place my 'game room'. Just so happens that it has about 30 TV's running all kinds of sports, I get staff discounts, and cute young women bring me drinks and a cook to cook my food. Life is good!

#62 7 years ago

Thanks for the response, very encouraging. Did you need to get a license to operate in your town? Are the locations just happy to have the machines or do they charge some sort of rent? Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet deal going with staff discounts..

#63 7 years ago

This has become quite a heated topic! Thank you so much Shane300zx for the congrats on my adoption! Been a long road but should be coming to a glorious end soon.

Only meant for this to be a fun thread, hope nobody become enemies on here because of it.

Pinball to me is a great hobby, but I would never sacrifice other things in my life that are more important because of it. If I only have my one machine the rest of my life that will be cool with me, there are always pins on location.

#64 7 years ago

No license, just a business license ($100 a year).

I think they are happy! More people coming in to drink beer and eat food. We have a monthly tournament, and I've met quite a few folk just from showing up to play. Also sold my first pin that way (an email out of the blue asking if I'd sell my Monster Bash).

I only have one location, and prefer it that way. I'm no OP, just a pin head, spreading the joy, and having the machines off sets cost a bit. I'm trying to convince them we need a bigger line up (hint, hint, you guys buy a TRON LE, I'll take care of it, and buy it off you in 3 years).

#65 7 years ago

Classified Information ,, The IRS could be monitoring this Site .. I heard that my N.Carolina Democrat Governor ( Bev ( B#**H ) Purdue ) is wanting C.List Regulated and Taxed.. The US is Out of $$ , & the Government Will Find way's to get it from people 1 way or 10 .

#66 7 years ago

Thanks again for the info. There's a restaurant near me that just went up (bad management, definitely not location). They have plenty of room and used to have a game room there. I was thinking of getting in contact with the new owners to put a machine there. The operator who formerly had a machine there barely maintained it, and is located 35 minutes away. I, on the other hand, will be there drinking beer and live within stumbling distance.

Black Rose, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to give up some of their "classified info". Luckily Smoke is Canadian (at least according to his flag), so hopefully they aren't currently as tax hungry as our own gov't. As far as myself, I'd be happy to run a tiny business like that legitimately. There isn't a lot of gain involved for them to take. Also in my benefit, my wife is a CPA, definitely a nice (yet boring) resource to have access to.

#67 7 years ago

I steal the money from my wife.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Luckily Smoke is Canadian (at least according to his flag), so hopefully they aren't currently as tax hungry as our own gov't

I am Canadian, eh! Also, our gov't gets a nice chunk of tax right off the hop. How else do you think we pay for that health care?

#69 7 years ago

Getting back to the original topic, sell blood. Type O-. Always a market

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kane:

Getting back to the original topic, sell blood. Type O-. Always a market

Great idea, think I may just do that. Especially since I don't know my blood type.

Sell things you dont want on eBay (I find Craigslist a hassle and a run around at times). Just make sure to properly charge for shipping, nothing worse than paying to give your shit away.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shane300zx:

Ima stop posting on this subject unless i have to defend what i have posted. I just don't want this to take a turn for the worse. Ive stated my opinion and shared my thoughts.

The 'mistake' was humour that some people seem to have missed, it's nothing serious, nobody is heated here, there's nothing to defend - at least I didn't think so. Hats off to the guy for adopting, that's the choice he's made and I'm sure he won't regret it.

The point I was making and still am, is people have 'x' resources, some have more and some have less, you have to choose what you do with the cards you're dealt. I can afford pins because I chose not to have a family, I chose to always buy cheap clothes and DIY / repair things instead of replacing.

The whole topic was 'how do you guys afford so many pins?' - and the answer is simple, we have different resources and made different decisions. There's no right or wrong answer.

#72 7 years ago

I think flipping pins is a valid way to build up your collection, and may make the most sense to someone that does not have a lot of cash. And on the plus side, it forces you to learn how to fix and restore them.

You see a good deal, buy it, fix and restore, sell for profit, rinse, repeat. You'll be surprised how fast you end up trading up! Plus, you save all those pins from the dumpsters, and hopefully pass them on to budding pin heads.

Just be sure you don't buy a lemon. I may take a loss on the POTO I just got. Price you pay sometimes!

#73 7 years ago

System 11, I hear you. Never took anything you said as harsh. I chuckled when I read it. It wasnt meant as "having a kid is a mistake", but given the topic of discussion, it will certainly affect the resources you have available to put towards other utility. The definition of economics is allocating our resources to facilitate our unlimited needs and wants.

#74 7 years ago

I dig into my bucket of diamonds......Any one seen the TOP's DVD's? He he. Seriously. I set back what I can when I can. Oh, and I never tell wife what I spend on machines and parts. Somehow, I have never been able to turn a profit but I usually only go back a little when I do go backwards. Its all good though.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

This has become quite a heated topic! Thank you so much Shane300zx for the congrats on my adoption! Been a long road but should be coming to a glorious end soon.

Congrats on this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but mind if I ask how long you waited? My wife and I are adopting as well, and man a long road indeed. And +1 on the "expensive" part. I think if rather pay the hospital bill! :>

#76 7 years ago

I have found that when making a cheeky comment, a smiley at the end helps convey it is a joke.

BR, Anchorage is about 400 miles from the Arctic Circle so we don't get all day sunlight or darkness. Our days aren't very bright in the winter because the sun is so low and it is usually cloudy. Even though the sun goes down in the Summer, it doesn't go very low under the horizon so dusk and dawn are extended quite a lot. Get so much done in the Summer.

I buy non working pins and have learned how to fix them up. I sell the ones I don't like and keep that cash on hand. I also keep both eyes on Craigslist for deals.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

And +1 on the "expensive" part. I think I'd rather pay the hospital bill! :>

You want to talk about a large hospital bill. My twins were born eight weeks premature. My daughter was in the NICU for three weeks, and my son for four weeks. The bills were absolutely INSANE! All I can say is thank God my wife had some great health insurance at the time. As a result, it cost us nearly nothing out of pocket.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

As a result, it cost us nearly nothing out of pocket.

I am glad your twins are ok!

Quoted from Goonie:

Congrats on this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but mind if I ask how long you waited? My wife and I are adopting as well, and man a long road indeed. And +1 on the "expensive" part. I think if rather pay the hospital bill! :>

I do not mind you asking at all, I am always happy to talk about adoption. I am actually adopted myself, as well as my sister, and two cousins. We have been waiting two years to be chosen, we are doing an open adoption. We were chosen by a birthmother in early October and she is due March 3rd. We are very excited! If you want to ask me ANYTHING about the adoption or even just chat feel free to send me a pinside mail. And I think I would rather pay two hospital bills at this point. How long have you waited if you dont mind me asking?

<sub class="mdrtd">Post edited by practicalsteve : forgot a word</sub>

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I just steal them off of locations.

[]

LOL i have thought this before "man that machine needs some TLC wish i could just load it up and take it home to be in good hands"

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Bar/Bat Mitzvah's,

we shoulda crashed the one at the hotel the night of the expo

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

We are very excited! If you want to ask me ANYTHING about the adoption or even just chat feel free to send me a pinside mail. And I think I would rather pay two hospital bills at this point. How long have you waited if you dont mind me asking?
    <sub class="mdrtd">Post edited by practicalsteve : forgot a word</sub>

Thanks, I appreciate that. We've been on the list for 18 months now, with some very close calls. We have a love-hate relationship at this point. The nice thing is, the calls are coming near once a month now, but we have yet to make the final round. And I have all these pins... WTF! :> Seriously though, it's a painfull wait isn't it? I'll send you a PM offline when I get a chance.

Aaron

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Thanks, I appreciate that. We've been on the list for 18 months now, with some very close calls. We have a love-hate relationship at this point. The nice thing is, the calls are coming near once a month now, but we have yet to make the final round. And I have all these pins... WTF! :> Seriously though, it's a painfull wait isn't it? I'll send you a PM offline when I get a chance.

Aaron

I know how tough it can be, you just gotta hang in there and it will happen eventually. We have had a lot of emotions, It has been and continues to be a real roller coaster. At least you have all those pins to take you mind off things!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    The Flipper Room
    $ 269.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside