(Topic ID: 45359)

How do people buy at pinball expo / shows?

By Ozzie

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pacman-jones-making-it-rain-then-shoot.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Are people just walking around with thousands in cash? Are most deals done in the first day, prior to show, or not until the last day? Are people just standing near their games for sale?

Mostly just curious how that all works. Missed the Ohio show. May get to stop by Michigan show, but would not be a buyer.

What should you know when going?

#2 11 years ago

it's not unusual to see a briefcase handcuffed to someones wrist. Sometimes two.

#3 11 years ago

I went to MGC with cash in my pocket in case there was a game I wanted. It was my first show. I noticed most games are set up for free play. If they are for sale there is a price on the machine and a contact phone number. I noticed that prices were dropping on the last day of the show. Looks like people want to get rid of the games at the show and not haul them home. Nothing really grabbed me so I didn't buy a game. I'm sure you just call, meet the seller, make a deal, and hand over the cash.

#4 11 years ago

Cash talks.

I know of one of the larger train shows out east that it isn't uncommon to have people there with well over $20K on them. Funniest thing I heard ever was an announcement over the PA that somebody lost $26K and did anybody find it ? A roar of laughter swept through the halls. Somebody did find it and turned it in.

Use common sense so you aren't a target. You go in a bar or restaurant, just have enough cash to cover the bill. And if you leave the show, leave convention badges in your hotel room. Don't carry a big flashing sign that says I have cash, I'm from out of town, and I can't come back to testify.

As far as pinball shows, often the game has a card on it with seller's name and phone number. Or they might be by the machine. Some deals are made before a show. Some during. Some out in the parking lot.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

For some vendors the use of a credit card forces them to charge sales tax.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Use common sense so you aren't a target. You go in a bar or restaurant, just have enough cash to cover the bill.

+1 to that. If you buy a beer at the bar, pull out your wallet with $40, and not your wad of $100s.

#7 11 years ago

Ca$h is king for used pin purchases and sales. I showed my son how it's done several times. Carry cash and carry protection.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzie:

Are people just walking around with thousands in cash?

Yes! Cash is always best! It saves credit card fees and often tax.

#9 11 years ago

4k cash money in my pocket last show

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzie:

Yes, money talks. Be smart, set a budget and stick with it.

Otherwise, you will end up with a costly impulse purchase.

#11 11 years ago

roll of $100s....fur coat,pimp hat and cane.....and your pin-pimp'in all day

#12 11 years ago

Hotel safe. Or just be aware of a nearby bank.

#13 11 years ago

Without saying exactly how I do it all...

Get cash and set a budget for what you are willing to spend. Once you have done that, take out a certain part of it and put it in your pocket or where ever so you can have some handy for parts, a down payment on a game, or whatever. Leave the rest elsewhere.

If you find something you really want, give them what you have and then go get the rest. Sellers will be totally find with that. If you don't, you're not carrying around a ton of money that you can drop or whatever as you go.

I also like to break it up something like this - I'll put the money that I want for a potential new game and keep that "off site" of the show, and put what I'm willing to spend for parts in my pocket. I find that if I put too much in my pocket, I go around and randomly buy stuff that I absolutely don't need just because it looks cool (like I got a sub playfield for a Black Hole a few years ago... don't own a Black Hole nor even a Gottlieb of that era, but had the extra cash burning a hole, so why not? Yarg. It was neat though).

Don't walk around with a ton of cash and flash it around though. Everyone is pretty awesome at shows, but in life it just generally isn't the best idea.

#14 11 years ago

Take your cash. I leave it locked in my glove box in the car.

#15 11 years ago

Bring cash. $7 - $12k. Hotel safe works fine.

#16 11 years ago

I would recommend carrying at least $50000, and then call me when you get there!!! I'll be the guy with the baseball bat!

#17 11 years ago

Remember Ozzie a great thing about pinball shows is the amount of games available to be played,
    even if you dont buy a game you should have a good idea what you like and dont like.
    With all the noise and distractions it may be tough to remember the ones you dugg most after playing 50-80 pins - take notes & photos .
    good luck with the hunt

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ozzie:

If you're a buyer, yes. Hand over cash, load up the game.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I went to MGC with cash in my pocket in case there was a game I wanted. It was my first show. I noticed most games are set up for free play. If they are for sale there is a price on the machine and a contact phone number. I noticed that prices were dropping on the last day of the show. Looks like people want to get rid of the games at the show and not haul them home. Nothing really grabbed me so I didn't buy a game. I'm sure you just call, meet the seller, make a deal, and hand over the cash.

I bought two games at the MGC and that is how I did it. Cash and Carry baby!!! $100 bills!!!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I bought two games at the MGC and that is how I did it. Cash and Carry baby!!! $100 bills!!!

And then yank the plugs out of the wall....

#21 11 years ago

Ya'll are much braver than me. I'm uncomfortable having more than a couple hundred on me at any time. I've never bought a game at a show but have prepared for it with hopes to. My plan was that I would give the owner a deposit and then go to the bank to get the rest at that moment a deal was made. If the owner was not OK with this then I walk on the deal. Maybe I'll be braver when I get my concealed handgun license but as it stands now I'd be a nervous wreck having the kind of cash these machines go for these days on me.

#22 11 years ago

I bring cash then if I can't find anything to buy I make it rain all up in here!

pacman-jones-making-it-rain-then-shoot.jpgpacman-jones-making-it-rain-then-shoot.jpg

#23 11 years ago

I use the Steve Martin method:

I put about $5000 in my left shoe and a slice of baloney in my right. It makes me feel tall and rich, but also uncomfortable at the same time.

This uneasy feeling heightens my Spider Sense and raises my blood pressure to an unhealthy level, which in turn allows me to make rapid nonsensical decisions that I will ( of course ) regret later.

It does make for memorable pinball shows though...

#24 11 years ago

I went to TPF for the first time. Took cash and my HK 357sig. Never felt unsafe at all. Bought two machines literally as the show was ending (prices dropped at the end of the show) and am happy with the purchases. I will probably take some to sell next year and buy some more while there. It's pretty convenient.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-people-buy-at-pinball-expo-shows and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.