(Topic ID: 101013)

how do my flippers work with no eos hooked up?

By bobbyt

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bobbyt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

i have a tftc and I go to rebuild the flippers and as I go to put in the new end of stroke switches , the wires are cut and they are not hooked up at all, why would someone do this? most importantly , will this cause me problems with the pin?

#2 9 years ago

A lot of DE games don't have them or work without.

If your game had them, I'd hook them back up.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A lot of DE games don't have them or work without.
If your game had them, I'd hook them back up.

is there a reason someone would disconnect them?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Probably. But we will never know why. I never try to think of what a person was thinking when they do something. I just get it going and move on.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Probably. But we will never know why. I never try to think of what a person was thinking when they do something. I just get it going and move on.

lol, thanks for your help

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

It was probably on location when they were removed. It's not uncommon on modern Stern's for the EOS actuator to completely break off (after thousands of plays). Or the long blade on the EOS breaks off. The fix-it-quick operator sees the game playing and earning fine with no EOS switch and says screw it, I'll pull the other one off too. No point (or profit) in buying new ones.

My mostly LUO (location use only) WPT has a broken EOS switch right now. I'll put one on next time I go to the location, but because of the software, no one will even notice. Lane changes are done with the flipper button switches, so there's virtually no way to tell.

#7 9 years ago

On a Data East machine with the flipper control board, the purpose of the EOS switch is to re-power the high power winding when you are holding the flipper in the operated state. This works fine w/o the EOS switch until you are holding a ball in multiball and a ball hits the end of the flipper or you are holding the flipper to trap an on-coming ball. When the ball hits the end of the flipper, the hold winding allows the flipper to deflect downward, causing you to loose
the ball.

But....if you have the EOS wiring in and working, as soon as the flipper deflects when held, the EOS opens putting some power back into the coil power winding. This is controlled via flipper control board.

If your EOS wires are not connected together you will not get power to the power winding of the flipper coil. I expect your EOS wires were connected together in the absence of the EOS switch.

For further details of the operation of the EOS associated with DE machines with the flipper control board, consult Data East Service Bulletin number 049 below.

#8 9 years ago

likely was disconnected for the low coil broken-damaged and connected it'd start short stroke hammering on the main coil near EOS (buzz!). -without it in place risks burning the main coil if ball holding very long.

you can replace the coil if bad and put the switches back into the loop, or rewire main coil with EOS normally closed so when it opens it puts a resistor in series to the main coil, dropping voltage and current to the coil (as the resistor heats up of course!). resistor-switch "rewire hack" is what Sentinel-WonderWizard did for using a single coil for flippers, not the best method but effective. normally that EOS switch would bounce power from high to low coil when "on". either method will help to prevent burning a main coil, or its driver transistor.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

likely was disconnected for the low coil broken-damaged and connected it'd start short stroke hammering on the main coil near EOS (buzz!). -without it in place risks burning the main coil if ball holding very long.

Not on DE's. They are timed for activating the pulse. Minnesota13 explained it correctly. EOS for DE and above only prevent a ball from pushing the bat down completely.

On b/w machines, a non working EOS is trouble, but all in all, makes for a better flipper feel and play.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Not on DE's. They are timed for activating the pulse. Minnesota13 explained it correctly. EOS for DE and above only prevent a ball from pushing the bat down completely.
On b/w machines, a non working EOS is trouble, but all in all, makes for a better flipper feel and play.

that is exactly what happens, usually the top flipper gets pushed back down from the ball, thank you to all that helped me out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 64.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-my-flippers-work-with-no-eos-hooked-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.