(Topic ID: 304001)

How do mods play into resale value in the pinball world?

By Anony

69 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 69 days ago by transprtr4u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 69 days ago

I just got my first pin a few weeks ago and went a little mod crazy. What I'm wondering is what the market is for resale of tables that are heavily modded? Is it like the car world where everyone strips the mods and sells them on their own because they add nothing to the main resale value of the table? Or do people typically pay a premium to get a table already modded?

Of course it will depend on potential buyers, but I know in the car world often times mods limit the number of buyers interested in your car because people want to do the mods themselves. Wondering if it's similar in pinball. Thanks.

#2 69 days ago

They take time for me to remove and throw away. So let's say you have five hours worth of mods, your table is worth about $1000 less than a normal table.

#3 69 days ago

Depends on the mod....in my experience color dmd, high end glass, and pin sound boards u can get most of your $ back....there are a few really rare mods that actually increase, but most stuff your lucky to get $.50 on the dollar.

#4 69 days ago

Colordmd is worth $400 of you include the old display. Any stickers, action figures or other crap are worthless.

#5 69 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Depends on the mod....in my experience color dmd, high end glass, and pin sound boards u can get most of your $ back....there are a few really rare mods that actually increase, but most stuff your lucky to get $.50 on the dollar.

Agree , color dmd, toppers, pinwoofer, shooters and Medisinyl you'll likely get most of your money back. But make your game as you want it, not how someone else says to .

#6 69 days ago

Yeah, don't count on getting your money back on mods. If you get enjoyment out of them, then that's were the value is. At resale, it's certainly not a 1 to 1 return.

#7 69 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Quoted from RustyLizard:

Colordmd is worth $400 of you include the old display. Any stickers, action figures or other crap are worthless.

+1.

Littering the pf with children's action figures is not a mod IMO, whether their eyes light up or not.

#8 69 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

They take time for me to remove and throw away. So let's say you have five hours worth of mods, your table is worth about $1000 less than a normal table.

LOL!

Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks, this makes sense. It sounds like the pinwoofer and flipperfidelity will be a welcome mod for a second hand buyer but the figurines/aesthetic stuff should probably be sold on their own.

#9 69 days ago
    Quoted from Anony:

LOL!

Thanks, this makes sense. It sounds like the pinwoofer and flipperfidelity will be a welcome mod for a second hand buyer but the figurines/aesthetic stuff should probably be sold on their own.

Depends on the game....adding just speakers doesn't really do much to improve sound quality on the older games. Adding a pin sound board + speakers with higher end sound files helps a lot. PinWoofer makes a great product that I have used on a few modern games, and yes it helps quite a bit.

#10 69 days ago

I won't pay more for a modded game as long as the stuff can be easily removed without damaging anything. Powder coating legs, siderails, lockdown bar, coin door and habitrails I will deduct heavily. Most often times, I won't even bother looking at those games.

#11 69 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Depends on the game....adding just speakers doesn't really do much to improve sound quality on the older games. Adding a pin sound board + speakers with higher end sound files helps a lot. PinWoofer makes a great product that I have used on a few modern games, and yes it helps quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. It's Iron Maiden so I think the speakers should be a welcome addition to anyone. Although I do love this table and hope I never have to sell or trade it.

#12 69 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I laughed but this is kind of mean LOL

#13 69 days ago

I’ll only pay a bit more for ColorDMD.
    I typically deduct $350 for PinStadium light kits because it will take me a bit of time to take it off and burn it in my furnace.

#14 69 days ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Thanks for the feedback. It's Iron Maiden so I think the speakers should be a welcome addition to anyone. Although I do love this table and hope I never have to sell or trade it.

If u really want to improve the sound quality I would get the pin woofer product....u don't need a pin sound board or color dmd on IM

#15 69 days ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’ll only pay a bit more for ColorDMD.
    I typically deduct $350 for PinStadium light kits because it will take me a bit of time to take it off and burn it in my furnace.

I'm not a Pin Stadium fan, but it only takes 5 minutes to remove

#16 69 days ago

Other than color DMD, I don’t like mods. They mean zero dollars to me. As stated above, it should mean a discount on game price as I have to remove the crap from the game.

#17 69 days ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not a Pin Stadium fan, but it only takes 5 minutes to remove

Yep, 5 minutes that I’ll never see again.

#18 69 days ago

Hate paying for mods I dont want ...
    Usually rehab every game coming into the house and remove them. Post ads and try to recoup some $

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside