New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 262848)

"How Do I Upload a GIF" for IDIOTS!

By Mr_Tantrum

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ndu5dKpFHjFh6.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1 (resized).JPG

#1 8 months ago

In the last couple of months, I've probably seen no less than a dozen posts in various forums about how people can't figure out how to upload animated GIFs. It's really not that hard, and a built in feature in the Pinside forums. Even so, I thought I would take the opportunity to break things down as simply as possible so that hopefully anyone can do it, and people can finally stop asking how (now, if I can only figure out how to teach people to use the forum's search features).

1 - Have your animated GIF file saved to your computer, phone, tablet, etc. and verify it works before attempting to upload to Pinside. Your GIF file size MUST BE LESS THAN 10.5MB. If your GIF is larger than 10.5MB you cannot upload it to the site.
    2 - Navigate to https://pinside.com in your browser, then use your credentials (fancy word for username and password) to login to the site.
    3 - Open the thread in which you wish to post a reply then scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the "REPLY" section.
    1 (resized).JPG
    4 - Click on the big rectangle field with the words "Your post..." in it then type your message (if you want one).
    5 - Now, BEFORE you attach an image YOU MUST select the correct image type/compression from the dropdown menu in the "ATTACH IMAGES" section below the big rectangle where you typed your message. Do this my changing the default setting of "Med-res (max 2048 largest side)" by clicking on the down arrow to the right of the box to reveal all 5 options, then click on the "PDF/GIF (no rescaling)" option to select it.
    6 - Now with the image setting to "PDF/GIF (no rescaling)", click the "Attach image(s)…" button, browse to where your file is, select it, then click the "Open" button to upload it to the site.
    7 - Once uploaded you will see a square thumbnail of the GIF (it will not be animated, but this does not mean the full image when posted will not be animated)
    8 - Click the big blue "Send Post" button, and your reply will post with your fully functioning animated GIF.

#2 8 months ago

a giphy tag would be nice to avoid needing to download and upload.

1 month later
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 9.95
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 50.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    $ 5.00
    $ 28.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside